Hertford photos mid/late 60s to early 70s

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

Thanks Chris.( AKA Alex's Friend)

These photos were ( I think) sent to Caroline Payne ( we knew her as Caroline Barrett 6s 1965-70 ) in Melbourne ,Australia by Pamela Jones ( 6s '65-70). Caroline emailed them to me.

The first pic. ( Daisychain) L. to R. Judith Points,Pam Jones, Mary Mc Donagh (still wearing her pinny ) and me.We are all wearing Sunday summer uniform and "Ashbourne" Hats! I think we were all still 3rd form.1966

Second pic. taken between 5s and 6s with Art school behind L. and Swimming Pool/ Gym. behind R.
Pam Jones, Judith Points, Susan Knight , me with very nobbly knees and Mary McDonagh. 1966.

Third pic. taken at the back of sixes, sitting on and around the fire escape.
A very weird assortment of uniforms and nightwear as if some kind of school gear, fancy dress was going on ! The headless apparitions at the back are definitely in nightwear. The scowling young lady in the front is wearing "blues" and PE shirt ; must be from sixes but who is she? Mary McD. is wearing Sunday summer uniform with Cherry Red blazer. I don't know what the small girl sitting at the front is wearing...a mac, I don't know who she is?

The fourth pic. shows the school field at the end of which you can see a row of trees. Behind the trees was the " shrubbery". Girls kept their small pets there ( rabbits ,guinea pigs etc ) . The cricket practise nets were set up down there in the summer. The school Infirmary is on the left.
Front to back; Me, Pam Jones ?,Judith Points, Mary McDonagh. Year 1966

Fifth pic is very pixillated monitresses 1972. English Angel has probably posted a clearer version on another thread. Englishangel is front left ( minus glasses! ) and I am back left. Next to DR is Carolyn Newbury ( the lovely Headgirl at that time). I remember most of the names but the pic. is very bad quality and does their infinite beauty no justice !
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I'm amazed by the nightwear! Did none of you have the fun of wearing a fresh from the laundry nightie that would stand up by itself? (paricularly unpleasant in winter)
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

midget wrote:I'm amazed by the nightwear! Did none of you have the fun of wearing a fresh from the laundry nightie that would stand up by itself? (paricularly unpleasant in winter)
No, it changed to flowery winceyette (pink, green and blue I think) just before I went there. The calico ones were everywhere, we had one set for hot summer nights. More became overalls for the Art School, others (cleaner!!) appeared as angels' costumes at various times!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Re: Calico Nighties

I distinctly remember tie dying them using stitching,stones and cold water dyes (Dylon)...purple and orange and other sixties colours and then ...taking them home ( we must have had permission as they were no longer used ) and wearing them as a kind of Kaftan with beads, headband and sandals :) 8)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I remember tie-dying but don't remember what.

Nighties could also be yellow, then around 1969 the pjjamas (as in the photo) appeared.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Penny Evans (7s) and Becky..... (1s) revising for O'levels June 1970.

Penny was the younger sister of Judy (6s) who became Head Girl

Ascension Day 1970, UVth on 2's visit to Kenwood House in North London. Joanna Russell, Julia Sibary (older sister was at CH) and Jane Erskine. (brother Noel was at Horsham)

And no we should not have been out of uniform. Jo is actually wearing her needlework project, Julia has a school sweater on (it didn't usually look like that) and Jane is desecrating a winter blouse.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:Re: Calico NightiesI distinctly remember tie dying them using stitching,stones and cold water dyes (Dylon)...purple and orange and other sixties colours and then ...taking them home ( we must have had permission as they were no longer used ) and wearing them as a kind of Kaftan with beads, headband and sandals :) 8)
Art changed very considerably when Miss Keppel Barrett left and Rosemary Esch (OG) arrived. In my LV year, as someone not doing art for O level, I did 12 weeks of weaving and wove a scarf, and some mats, 12 weeks of cookery and 12 of plant drawing (so necessary for young ladies!). Betty Jukes' basic cookery was very useful, although I was always getting into trouble, at home we had an Aga so I wasn't used to the idea of lighting the cooker.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Katharine wrote:
Alexandra Thrift wrote:Re: Calico NightiesI distinctly remember tie dying them using stitching,stones and cold water dyes (Dylon)...purple and orange and other sixties colours and then ...taking them home ( we must have had permission as they were no longer used ) and wearing them as a kind of Kaftan with beads, headband and sandals :) 8)
Art changed very considerably when Miss Keppel Barrett left and Rosemary Esch (OG) arrived. In my LV year, as someone not doing art for O level, I did 12 weeks of weaving and wove a scarf, and some mats, 12 weeks of cookery and 12 of plant drawing (so necessary for young ladies!). Betty Jukes' basic cookery was very useful, although I was always getting into trouble, at home we had an Aga so I wasn't used to the idea of lighting the cooker.
The art teacher we had later was very glamorous. I was hopeless but I did do some passable basket weaving. It was only a few years ago that I threw out a waste paper bin I made in my Lower Vth year.

One thing I do remember was the Huguenot loom, as my family background was Huguenot. I have a feeling it went to Horsham in 1985.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Ascension Day 1970, UVth on 2's visit to Kenwood House in North London. Joanna Russell, Julia Sibary (older sister was at CH) and Jane Erskine. (brother Noel was at Horsham)

And no we should not have been out of uniform. Jo is actually wearing her needlework project, Julia has a school sweater on (it didn't usually look like that) and Jane is desecrating a winter blouse.

Mary, how did I let you lot get away with that ? Or did you make sure that I didn't see you in the woods ? I remember Jo's outfit...dark pink, wasn't it ?
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Euterpe13 wrote:Ascension Day 1970, UVth on 2's visit to Kenwood House in North London. Joanna Russell, Julia Sibary (older sister was at CH) and Jane Erskine. (brother Noel was at Horsham)

Mary, how did I let you lot get away with that ? Or did you make sure that I didn't see you in the woods ? I remember Jo's outfit...dark pink, wasn't it ?
I think it was greeny-blue actually. We scarpered pretty sharpish so no-one knew. I don't think even Julie and Ros knew though the Lower Vth might have.
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Euterpe13 wrote:Mary, how did I let you lot get away with that ? Or did you make sure that I didn't see you in the woods ? I remember Jo's outfit...dark pink, wasn't it ?

Did you change out of uniform too Mary ? I thought you never broke the rules ! Is an on-line retrospective punishment in order?

I love the pic. of the three "J" s in the woods.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Katharine wrote:
Alexandra Thrift wrote:Re: Calico Nighties
Art changed very considerably when Miss Keppel Barrett left and Rosemary Esch (OG) arrived. .
I remember Rosemary Eschm ,most famous as the subject of a quote from Mrs Cotham, 2's housemistress "and the Lord said unto Moses 'Rosemary Esch stop swinging your legs' "Mrs C was full of laughs
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:
Euterpe13 wrote:Mary, how did I let you lot get away with that ? Or did you make sure that I didn't see you in the woods ? I remember Jo's outfit...dark pink, wasn't it ?

Did you change out of uniform too Mary ? I thought you never broke the rules ! Is an on-line retrospective punishment in order?

I love the pic. of the three "J" s in the woods.
I think I was in trousers but as I didn't have the figure of Julia or Jane to alter the uniform as they did.

I met Julia about 12 years ago in Hastings, where she came from, and we were living at the time. She now lives in Oxford. Jo Russell is on Friends Reunited.
Friend of Alex's
2nd Former

Another pic from Alex

Post by Friend of Alex's »

Last edited by Friend of Alex's on Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.