Hertford photos mid/late 60s to early 70s

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

lovely hair

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi Angela and all

Amazing how the real beauties used to shine through despite the ghastly uniform and the unflattering hairstyles!

Rosalynde Bush who was a couple of years above me in Sixes had truly beautiful long thick light red hair, which she managed to team with dark brown eyes and NO FRECKLES, a really stunning combination as I remember.

When I first went to Sheffield University, I saw a Ros Bush lookalike in the distance removing a crash helmet to shake out her wonderful locks, and was so startled by the sudden deja vu, that I nearly rushed up to yell I know you....then jibbed thinking no, just a coincidence...

Alex told me later that as far as she knew Ros was at Sheffield, but sadly our paths never crossed again, though I scrutinised many a female motorcyclist just in case!!!
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I wondered how I heard about the Vidal Sassoon school, you must have told me Barbara.

I went at the end of Upper Vth and had an 'Isadora' cut, a bit like a 'Rachel'. I went on the way home from school at the beginning of the hols and again at the end so returned to school with a very shaggy cut below my collar. DR said exactly the same to me on St Matt's day as she said to you, perhaps she wasn't so bad.

I am now nearly 52 and I am still a brunette with just the occasional grey hair, genetics rule.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I don't remember DR checking us out for St Matt's Day, perhaps she did but it made no impression on me. Kerren can you remember it? Was it something she did later?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I think she checked everyone out but subtly (sp). You and Kerren went to St Matt's day just before the Swinging Sixties, BB and I were just those few years younger. All the Sixth form went in my time, the boys did so why not the girls?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

soc wrote:Oh Mrs C, you had to tell my wife where we can get them (TTs) over here din't you!

Guess where she is dragging me tomorrow!

SORRY!!!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Post by UserRequestedRemoval »

Ann likes you so much now Mrs C. We got some TTs and she has been doing the coffee routine ever since.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

And how many has she got through???? Difficult to stick at one!
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Sorry folks - it`s Caroline`s fault we`re :offtopic: here!!
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Mrs C. wrote:Sorry folks - it`s Caroline`s fault we`re :offtopic: here!!
Oh well. In for a penny, in for a pound :wink:

Guess what I discovered in my local supermarket on Sunday???????

Strawberry filled Tim Tams. Not bad at all :)

I believe that they will be a limited run in support of Breast Cancer Research.
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Shiny shiny hair

Post by Angela Woodford »

Euterpe13 wrote:Angela - why can't I put a face to your name ? I know that being 2 years below & from another house makes it difficult, but even so....jog my memory here, ok ?

B.
I was Angela Marsh, always called Munch. In 6's, the fat one, dark hair!
Not very memorable!
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: Shiny shiny hair

Angela Woodford wrote:I was Angela Marsh, always called Munch. In 6's, the fat one, dark hair!
Not very memorable!

Oh pooh :)

Munch was not fat, and had luxuriant dark brown hair and an infectious smile and laugh.

She can be viewed in the fourth photograph of my 29/9 post - second from the left in the second row from the front.
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Not fat???

Post by Angela Woodford »

Caroline, this is the kindest thing you ever said!

When I went back to an Old Girls' Day, I encountered Mr Mulholland - remember that dear old Maths Master? He looked at me thoughtfully. "I remember you!" he managed at last. "Tell me.." (fiddled with moustache) "can you still eat three Mars bars one after the other?" I felt bound to disappoint him in that I had not eaten a Mars Bar in some years.

It was a cruel time to be overweight though. Minis were rising higher and higher - models were thinner than we see today, I'm sure! A pair of black vinyl "kinky" boots I tried on in Brixton Dolcis, during the holidays, wouldn't go much further than my ankle. The bored assistant suggested I try on the box instead!

Liz, when you remember Rosalynde Bush and her freckle-free skin - just what's wrong with freckles? In my locker, I successfully concealed a copy of Honey magazine, in which that icon Twiggy explained how to fake freckles with a brown eyebrow pencil! I practised carefully to master this, and still do - for that youthful just-back-from-the-gym look.

Oh Caroline - I'm still hunting for this orange thread somewhere in an index. Terrible!

Munch
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: Not fat???

Angela Woodford wrote:Caroline, this is the kindest thing you ever said!

Liz, when you remember Rosalynde Bush and her freckle-free skin - just what's wrong with freckles? In my locker, I successfully concealed a copy of Honey magazine, in which that icon Twiggy explained how to fake freckles with a brown eyebrow pencil! I practised carefully to master this, and still do - for that youthful just-back-from-the-gym look.

Oh Caroline - I'm still hunting for this orange thread somewhere in an index. Terrible!

Munch

I hope that you don't mean this entirely literally, as I was merely stating the truth, but do, on rare occasions, actually attempt to be kind ........ :lol:

I truly do not remember you as being even mildly overweight. Myself, on the other hand, I cannot say the same for - and my weight seems to increase exponentially with my age :(

As for the message - at the top of the page I am looking at, in the middle in blue lettering I have a link saying 'You have no new messages'. I believe that this changes to 'Read your messages', or something similar if anyone sends you a personal message. Click on the link - et voila.

Lizzie, if you are reading this - you have one from me too.

The message alerting you to the personal message (24 hits last time I looked :lol: ) is in Hertford Memories: For the eyes of Munch and Liz P only - or something along those lines.

Oh whoa, still at Uni, and I'm due at work in 6 minutes.

Gotta go (for now).

Love

Caroline
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

When I went back to an Old Girls' Day, I encountered Mr Mulholland - remember that dear old Maths Master? He looked at me thoughtfully. "I remember you!" he managed at last. "Tell me.." (fiddled with moustache) "can you still eat three Mars bars one after the other?" I felt bound to disappoint him in that I had not eaten a Mars Bar in some years.

It was a cruel time to be overweight though. Minis were rising higher and higher - models were thinner than we see today, I'm sure! A pair of black vinyl "kinky" boots I tried on in Brixton Dolcis, during the holidays, wouldn't go much further than my ankle. The bored assistant suggested I try on the box instead!

Munch
Interesting to read that young girls obsessed over their weight even then. My sister never did so I assumed it was a modern phenomenon.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Mid A 15 wrote:

Munch
Interesting to read that young girls obsessed over their weight even then. My sister never did so I assumed it was a modern phenomenon.
We all obsessed about our weight - then now and probably forever. As for My Mulholland he was horrible - how can you say he was nice?? he wandered between our classchairs/tables in one and rubbed his hands together like scrouge and breathed through his teeth, his breath was awful and he just creeped me out! no wonder my maths went downhill!
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach