Free to a good home

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

midget
Button Grecian

Free to a good home

Post by midget »

I have just found an old LP my sister discovered in an Oxfam shop in Leamington. It's "Singing from Christ's Hospital Hertford" dated 1971. Were any of you involved? As our turntable is on its last legs the record is now free to a good home.
Maggie
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

me please, me please. (Alex seems to have disappeared)

I was in the choir at the time and I remember recording this in the school hall. I didn't get one at the time because we didn't have anything to play it on at home.

Hubby being a music freak still has a turntable on the stereo.

Each piece was recorded in one take and halfway through one piece I got one of those throat tickles you can do nothing about. I was purple by the end of the piece.

PM me bank details or send me an address and I will send a cheque for p&p.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Hi Mary
Do you have a copy of 'Carol's From Christ's Hospital'? I recently invested in a new turntable so that I can listen to my LPs after a couple of decades break, but didn't bring Cs from CH with me to Australia: shame on me.

Can't remember whether it was recorded the year that Miss, er, can't remember her name, something beginning with T perhaps? finished the organ intro to one of the carols (Three Kings From Pererersian Lands Afar maybe) and we all remained silent.

Caroline
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:Can't remember whether it was recorded the year that Miss, er, can't remember her name, something beginning with T perhaps? finished the organ intro to one of the carols (Three Kings From Pererersian Lands Afar maybe) and we all remained silent.

Caroline
Would that be Taverner? She came while I was at Hertford.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Hi Caroline, (and Katharine)

Yes that was Miss Taverner. There are bits about her on various threads.

Nice to see you here Caroline, I am surprised you have only just got here considering your membership on Friends Reunited and sending the pics to Steve Webb for the Old Blues site (as was).

I didn't ever buy any school LPs as we had no means of playing them at home.

I do remember C from CH but I think the one midget has is not that. If I remember correctly there is a bit of Carmina Burana on it but cannot remember what else.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

I have the Carols record somewhere ( I remember we had to re-record one of the choir & congregation carols because no-one was singing...),
but it's a bit tatty....
It's the one with Libby Jeremy doing one of the solos.

I was thinking of recording to CD/DVD now that I have invested in one - will post here if it works out
B.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Hello Mary

I came across the site yesterday - not sure why it took me so long to find, as I spend quite a lot of time surfing now that I am a student again ;-).

Perhaps the Universe kept me away until the topics of bad food, bullying, and all the other negative memories I have of my time at CH had been exhausted?

Ooops, Supervisor alert: had better get back to the presentation I am supposed to be working on.

Best wishes

Caroline
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Alex Thrift is around on here somewhere, but hasn't posted for a while.

as you can see I have done a lot on here but it is dropping off as I am now working fulltime after being a student myself last year.

Mary
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

UPDATE.

I received the LP from midget yesterday. Got home from work to find a letter on the table "package in cupboard", and there it was, perched on top of my wheelie bin.

It is playing as I write.

It doesn't sound bad for 35 years old, a few crackles here and there but other than that, no scratches or anything.

Side A is by the whole school, a selection of hymns.

Side B is by the choir "A ceremony of carols" by Benjamin Britten.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

On the record you all sound so much more ladylike than we did! Glad it arrived safely, Mary
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

midget wrote:On the record you all sound so much more ladylike than we did! Glad it arrived safely, Mary
The operative word. The soprano soloist was Carolyn Newbury (sp) who was not only leader of the choir but also Head Girl, both 70/71 in Upper sixth and 71/72 when she stayed on because she did science A levels and wanted to switch to Arts so did English and something else the following year.
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

I'M BACK. HI EVERYONE. HI CAROLINE IN ADELAIDE.

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

Hope everythings going ok downunder Caroline. You should also remember Katharine (Hills) who was in Sixes and DR's prefect during our first six months at Hertford and Lizzie Plummer ( now Liz Jay) was also posting earlier this year.

There is a search facility somewhere ( I can't remember where) and you can do a "find".I think you find the member on the list and search their posts.

I have a copy of Carols from Christs Hospital (1967) which I will ask my friend Chris. ( who has posted as "Friend of Alex" ) to copy onto CD.

I would absolutely LOVE a copy or a CD copy of a copy of The Benjamin Britten we did in 1971 ( was it ? ) as I was singing on it too. Can anyone help or do a swap for the CD of my 1967 recording?

The strange thing is I kept thinking to myself I must go back and post on the CH site.They'll all wonder what happened to me ( nothing...just very busy)......and I also thought that I must ask about that album ( I have searched on ebay for it now and then).

Anyhow, tonight I just popped in and low and behold you are talking about it !

Best wishes to all.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Alex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Helloooooooooooooo!

Sorry to hear about your Mum - she had just come out of hospital the last time we communicated, but I saw from one of your messages that she has passed on.

I would love a copy of the Christmas Carols if you do manage to get it onto CD - please let me know costs etc. Are you PayPalable?

I do remember Liz and Katherine. I can remember a tall, elegant beauty wearing the most amazing outfit, including a pair of swirly black and white tights the day she left CH. Sorry, Liz, not you (because you had yet to join our happy band) - but I remember her as being Katherine.

If anyone (Mary?) is able to copy the other, I would love one too, please. I had already left CH, but love Ceremony of Carols, and it would give me an excuse, other than watching Last Night of the Proms, to shed a few nostalgic tears.

We have an, um, interesting, undergrad in our Dept at the moment. Very English, about mid 40s with Sandhurst accent, lets little snippets of info drop into tea room conversation occasionally, which had led myself and another postgrad (ex detective) to conclude that he had been a mercenary. Still getting to the bottom of that one, but have discovered that he went to boarding school aged 6.5, and has several, er, issues that he is dealing with. Talking with him confirmed for me how wonderful it has been to reconnect with other Hertford gals via Friends Reunited and this forum, and how far I have come in dealing with my own issues from the 'best days of my life'.

I'm typing this while conducting an msn conversation with my daughter (in Houston) and one of her friends (in South Australia) about the relative merits of buying a round bale of hay and turning it into chaff - think it's time to sign off :-).

For now

Caroine
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:I do remember Liz and KathArine. I can remember a tall, elegant beauty wearing the most amazing outfit, including a pair of swirly black and white tights the day she left CH. Sorry, Liz, not you (because you had yet to join our happy band) - but I remember her as being KathArine.
Why thank you kindly, Caroline. There were four of us leaving from Sixes that day - and I hope I am the one you remember as elegant!!! I know we all wore 'outrageous' stockings which were very fashionable then - tights like that had yet to become affordable (Or do I mean invented?)

Caroline, I sent you a personal mesage (pm) of greeting a while back. Near the top of your screen you should see something about messages - if you click on that you will find your pms.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I think tights came in the following year didn't they, 1966?

I know the exotic ones had a revival in the early 80s, I had all sorts ofoddonem including a pair with one red and one black leg, and I see they are back again now. I love 'em.

Not sure how to get a black disc onto CD or MP3, has anyone here got any ideas?