Hertford uniform

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Thank you Mary - at least you give me the odd compliment now and again....

So send me thine recipes - and I will put them on the website - just a click away! (still under construction.... did a bit of a boo boo last night on it, but can resolve it soon....)
:wink:
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

I wonder how many of the recipes will be cakes or puddings??!!
All my "favourite recipes" are. I make up most of the rest as I go along.

The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Mrs C. wrote:I wonder how many of the recipes will be cakes or puddings??!!

I wonder why that is? :lol:

Love the icon BTW
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

englishangel wrote:
Mrs C. wrote:I wonder how many of the recipes will be cakes or puddings??!!

I wonder why that is? :lol:

Love the icon BTW
Mrs C - your new Avatar freaks me out!! There are eyes everywhere - was it because we have entered March (Beware the Eyes (ok Ides ) of March???)

I will get as many recipes up as people send... I'm not going to put up the entire cookbook according to Mrs Paton or anyone else!! But I will put up some - and write them out etc... but the odd one sent would be great!

Thanks in advance - and Mrs C - keep those eyes to yourself - I don't want to be told off just cos you can see I'm still in my Pj's or whatever!!!

:P :wink:
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Back to uniform, the name of this thread. When I went to the school, in the winter terms all girls in senior houses wore LISLE stockings as every day, with Seniors of some category that I didn't aspire to having SILK ones for special occasions. The girls in the junior houses wore brown knee socks. Gradually the revolutionary new material of NYLON reached the hallowed ground. We then had thick beige ribbed stockings and BAs had 60 denier nylons for special. I got my BA at Christmas in UV, three years later when I left the school, Christmas SVI, my original 60 denier stockings were still going strong, without a single ladder. How did things change over the years, I've read references to other stockings.
In Summer all wore thin ankle socks, first cotton then later nylon. We tried to roll them down as far as possible so as not to get sock marks.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Lisle stockings had gone by the time I started. First 2 years wore long brown socks in winter and older girls wore the ribbed stockings. However I was already 5'4" and size 7 shoe when I started so went straight to ribbed stockings. Everyone wore beige nylon ankle socks in summer, nylon tights for seniors on Sundays etc.

When I started we were still weraring white cotton socks for sports (darned on Friday night as necessary) but as they were condemned we were issued with house colour nylon socks.

I think this pretty much stayed the same until the amalgamation.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

well at least you didn't have to suffe a purple striped tie and canary yellow games sock.... :evil: :evil: :cry:
Happy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Happy »

We had fawn knee socks at Hertford in 1985 - and awful nylon fuschia pink ankle socks for games due to being residents 7's. I recall one morning we were lining up in the house hall ready to march as a house to the assembly hall, and our LE told us to put on these pink socks as Ms Morrison wanted to identify the first years. We naturally believed them and then got into trouble with our sixth formers for being incorrectly dressed. It was the end of the world for me for 5 minutes. Hertford could be so up tight about uniform.

We had to line up in the Square for inspection by Ms Morrison the morning we were due to depart for Horsham for a few days - having been instructed to wear black gloves. Mine had been knicked and all I could borrow were fingerless ones and I remember clutching my hands very tightly so she didn't notice. What a place.

Oh - and on the subject of our Cherry blazers? We got a form at the end of the year asking whether we'd like to buy ours. My mum said Yes but thankfully it never materialised.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Happy wrote:Oh - and on the subject of our Cherry blazers? We got a form at the end of the year asking whether we'd like to buy ours. My mum said Yes but thankfully it never materialised.
:lol: :lol:

I bought my tweed (for a fiver I think) - no idea what happened to it though as I don't have it now.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Happy wrote:We had fawn knee socks at Hertford in 1985 - and awful nylon fuschia pink ankle socks for games due to being residents 7's. I recall one morning we were lining up in the house hall ready to march as a house to the assembly hall, and our LE told us to put on these pink socks as Ms Morrison wanted to identify the first years. We naturally believed them and then got into trouble with our sixth formers for being incorrectly dressed. It was the end of the world for me for 5 minutes. Hertford could be so up tight about uniform.

We had to line up in the Square for inspection by Ms Morrison the morning we were due to depart for Horsham for a few days - having been instructed to wear black gloves. Mine had been knicked and all I could borrow were fingerless ones and I remember clutching my hands very tightly so she didn't notice. What a place.

Oh - and on the subject of our Cherry blazers? We got a form at the end of the year asking whether we'd like to buy ours. My mum said Yes but thankfully it never materialised.
I think someone (possibly me) posted the house colours somwhere else.
soso
2nd Former

Post by soso »

No one seems to have mentioned the fact the revolting blue sunday tunics worn under Cherry reds were called "SUNDAY SACKS"
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Happy wrote:We had to line up in the Square for inspection by Ms Morrison the morning we were due to depart for Horsham for a few days - having been instructed to wear black gloves. Mine had been knicked and all I could borrow were fingerless ones and I remember clutching my hands very tightly so she didn't notice. What a place.

Did you have the pockets of your blazer sewn up (to stop me/us being able to stick hands into them)?

Can't remember whether it was standard practice, or reserved for we guttersnipes who didn't know that it just wasn't on to stuff our hands in there.
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I think blazer pockets are automatically sewn up when they are made, they certainly are on men's suits, and we weren't allowed to unpick them, so I suppose it was standard practice
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

englishangel wrote:I think blazer pockets are automatically sewn up when they are made, they certainly are on men's suits, and we weren't allowed to unpick them, so I suppose it was standard practice

All the guys I know wear suits with fully functional pockets.

What's the point in having them if they are sewn up?
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
soso
2nd Former

Post by soso »

We were made to sew our mac pockets up if we put our hands in them too many times! Only allowed hands in in the rain.