School Needlework

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

MKM
Grecian

Re: School Needlework

Post by MKM »

I have a bundle of those old embroidery transfers, which belonged to my mother, but I don't remember her ever doing any embroidery. Perhaps one day I'll try them out (and perhaps that was a pig flying past the window). I'm not sure how they work - do they wash out afterwards, or do you have to completely cover the transferred image?

Though I am still over 5ft 5ins (just) I need the short length in M&S trousers, and resent having to shorten trousers if I can't find the right length. They never look quite right. I did manage to change the zip in a waterproof jacket, and was quite proud of the result. The jacket was one of those designed to take a zip-in fleece, and I removed the extra zip meant to hold the fleece, and used that.

I tried to replace the zip in my husband's leather jacket, but gave up after doing about three-quarters of the sewing (and breaking three needles). I was worried it would damage my elderly sewing machine.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

MKM wrote:I have a bundle of those old embroidery transfers, which belonged to my mother, but I don't remember her ever doing any embroidery. Perhaps one day I'll try them out (and perhaps that was a pig flying past the window). I'm not sure how they work - do they wash out afterwards, or do you have to completely cover the transferred image?
Hey, Mary, that's lovely! :) :) :) Fancy having a bundle of them left!

As I remember, one stitched over the outline of the design. They were almost always flowers - maybe a butterfly on a traycloth? - and eventually the faint lines of the transfer faded away.

Goodness this has brought back memories. However the Ruler of All the Universe has just brought me a chunky mug of strong tea - no dainty cup and saucer. no little tray with an embroidered cloth beneath; and I admit that I will slurp it down without crooking my little finger as I was instructed to do...
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

The pundits tell us to outline the shape with split stitch, then fill in going just over the edge of the stitching. to give a clean and even edge to the stitching. Unless of course you are using dear old lazy daisy stitch (or detached chain if you are showing off) I've still got a load of "afternoon tea" table cloths that I inflicted on my long-suffering mother.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

[quote="Angela Woodford"]Order trousers/jeans from Land's End and they will send you the garment with the exact leg length that you specify, for no extra charge. Their "low-rise" fitting means that my white jeans just reach my waist instead of around my rib cage. The petite fittings would be good for you, Maggie!

What's more, you consult the American Sizing chart and get a lovely surprise when you realse that you are more slender than you realise. How I wished that the label on the white jeans was on the outside so I could flaunt a "size 6" bottom.

I've been wearing Land's End stuff for years, but I never had any luck with their trousers except for the fleece ones which are ideal for winter in this cold old house. maybe I'll give tem another try, but I'm a bit long in the tooth for jeans!
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

I have just found the bundle of old embroidery transfer designs, and looked through them for the first time. Most of them are heavily creased and would be difficult to use. Some are extremely intricate - views of gardens with trees, paths and borders, all in less than A5 size. You would need tiny stitches to include all the details. A few have dates on (they were given away free with magazines), and the oldest I found was from 1932. One from the 1930's had a design of horseshoes and swastikas. I can't read the exact year, but it must have been before the Nazis made swastikas unpopular.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Fascinating, Mary!

I just had a Wiki moment checking out the religions and societies for thousands of years which have used the swastika as a symbol. It's quite incredible!

I suppose that a giveaway transfer of swastikas and horseshoes in a Ladies Home Magazine must have been in the spirit of "good luck" only a few years before the swastika was claimed by the Nazis.

I had a sudden thought of ladies throwing or burning the carefully embroidered tray cloth that had taken on a newly sinister symbol. How awful!

But what a treasure trove you've found, Mary!

(In an old 1930s work-basket from my sister's MIL, I found a reel of cotton called "N****r Brown".
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Angela Woodford wrote:
(In an old 1930s work-basket from my sister's MIL, I found a reel of cotton called "N****r Brown".
In the late 1940s/early 50s an aunt of mine had a black labrador called N****r & no-one thought it offensive (the name, not the dog!).
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

:lol: Ann!

Just imagine calling him to heel in the street!
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Angela Woodford wrote::lol: Ann!

Just imagine calling him to heel in the street!

I know! It makes me cringe with shame just to think of it! But that particular aunt, still going strong (91 this year), always did have more brass neck than a church lectern, so even if she'd known it was wrong she'd not have given it a second thought. :(
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Didn't Barnes Wallis' friend Guy Gibson have a dog called 'N*gg*r' - or was that just in the Dambusters film?
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Didn't Barnes Wallis' friend Guy Gibson have a dog called 'N*gg*r' - or was that just in the Dambusters film?
Yes, Kerren - you pipped me to the post! My other half just mentioned it.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I was also pipped at the post. I had a post all typed up ready to send when the phone rang, which for some mysterious reason tends to cut my computer off (so much for broadband!) and by the time I had recycled yet again the same conversation that I have daily with my elderly father, there were two more posts saying basically what I had just typed and my post had vanished!! Yes, and the dog's name was used as a codeword for one (or possibly all?) of the dams bursting, so couldn't really be changed - in later showings of the film they quietly bleeped the name out!

To get back to the needlework - when Maria went to CH I made her a sewing basket - not usually my sort of thing so it must have been a labour of love! - it was lined with some leftover fabric from one of her dresses, and had a drawstring top. She has recently decided to refurbish it for her daughter Hanna - my bit is OK but the basket is disintegrating. Among the contents were school nametapes and a large flat needle with a curved end. Does anyone have a clue what that miight be for?
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

......... and apparently my long-lost pinking shears!

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

You pipped me Frances.

There is a new Dambusters film in pre-production and they have changed the dog's name to Blackie or some such. Same thing, different language.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

More needlework stuff - I have somewhere a half-embroidered traycloth with the Festival of London logo in the corner!