A Question of Queenie

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

A Question of Queenie

Post by Angela Woodford »

A poem which Queenie set us to learn for prep has come back into my head - is it familiar to anyone?

"What is this that roareth thus
Can it be a Motor Bus?
Yes! the smell and hideous hum
Indicat Motorem Bum
Implet in the Corn and High
Terror me, Motoris Bi

That's as much as I remember!

But for the Latin lesson I was well rehearsed, hoping to no avail that she would pick me to recite it. The Gauls may have been laying waste the land and baffling me, but I could cope with a dramatic recitation!

It must have been written by some Oxford Classics Prof - I'd love to revisit the rest of the poem if anyone can remember it?

Munch (going to throw myself out of the window)
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

What is this that roareth thus?
Can it be a Motor Bus?
Yes, the smell and hideous hum
Indicat Motorem Bum!
Implet in the Corn and High
Terror me Motoris Bi:
Bo Motori clamitabo
Ne Motore caedar a Bo---
Dative be or Ablative
So thou only let us live:---
Whither shall thy victims flee?
Spare us, spare us, Motor Be!
Thus I sang; and still anigh
Came in hordes Motores Bi,
Et complebat omne forum
Copia Motorum Borum.
How shall wretches live like us
Cincti Bis Motoribus?
Domine, defende nos
Contra hos Motores Bos!

Good old Google
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

SUPERB!

Thank you very much Mary. I love it.

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

What can I say, Mary ?

A good memory or did you keep a copy of it at home ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Easy!

Of course Mary learned the poem in the most diligent of spirits and can still remember it!

Queenie, despite her biting sarcasm at the most stupid of her pupils (moi) was a brilliant eccentric woman who deserved our every respect. I wish I could learn Latin with her all over again now!

Munch
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I don't know if I have previously posted this little anecdote but I think QB did have a sense of humour....
One of my peers was not too good at Latin and thus earned the sarcasm. One day, however, she put up her hand to volunteer to read out her unseen translation of a passage no doubt relating to a battle somewhere.
She went to the front of the class and with a straight face read us a tale about rabbits copulating at the end of her garden. Most people think this must be apocryphal, but I met said OG again two years ago, and she confirmed that it had happened....
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

I always regretted not doing latin , and so missing out on lessons with Queenie....I sure that she would have approved of a book which I later bought for my latinist children, with such useful phrases as " have you seen my new Rolex" , " can I borrow your Visa to pay for the booze?" and "I have a trust fund - will you come home with me ?" ...all perfectly construed.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Spiv
2nd Former

Post by Spiv »

The most often spoken Latin words in 7s were Quis? Ego! whereby you gained something unwanted - and then usually passed it straight on by the same means. However, I gained a rather nice silver ring from Libby Jeremy in this way, and still have it.

7s house motto was Nil Desperandum and a neat calligraphic, penned by an old 7, adorned the hall wall - a poem with this as its title (copied from Rye Church). Did other houses have mottos?
Viv Winter (Walker 1's & 7's 1959 - 1966)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Spiv wrote:The most often spoken Latin words in 7s were Quis? Ego! whereby you gained something unwanted - and then usually passed it straight on by the same means. However, I gained a rather nice silver ring from Libby Jeremy in this way, and still have it.

7s house motto was Nil Desperandum and a neat calligraphic, penned by an old 7, adorned the hall wall - a poem with this as its title (copied from Rye Church). Did other houses have mottos?
I don't remember that (my home church)
Spiv
2nd Former

Post by Spiv »

Last edited by Spiv on Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spiv
2nd Former

Post by Spiv »

I saw it also in Rye church back in the 60s. A simply framed poem on a side wall near the back of the church; followed by a cream and strawberry jam scones tea in a little cafe where the owner was obsessed by the fact that four of us should not occupy a table for five! I could bore you with it...
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

In order to postpone Queenie's inevitably withering comments about my returned prep, I raised my hand at the beginning of Latin and asked her for suggestions - what could I name my newly acquired baby rabbit?

As I rose to my feet and began"Please, Miss Blench.." Queenie began to tap one tiny elegant leather-clad foot. Her face assumed its usual expression as I spoke - an expression I would one day recognise on the face of many a nurse inspecting a specimen of warm sputum. However, to my surprise, she was amused, and spent a good ten minutes considering suitable Latin names for a rabbit and listing them on the blackboard. :D

I was in raptures when it was announced that Queenie was going on a trip to Australia and New Zealand! A whole term without Queenie! It was like a break from Death Row. We were to be taught by Joanna Yates, a sweet gentle girl, who'd left the year before. Weirdly, after a while, I found myself missing Queenie. Latin didn't seem quite right without that frisson of fear! the white-knuckle moments of standing up at my desk desperately fumbling for a right answer!

Queenie came back from her trip Down Under with a magnificent collection of treasures, which she displayed in the Fiction Library. I was actually quite pleased to see her - I greatly feared and respected that incredible intellect, and loved her shoe collection!

Munch
Last edited by Angela Woodford on Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Angela Woodford wrote:In order to postpone Queenie's inevitably withering comments about my returned prep, I raised my hand at the beginning of Latin and asked her for suggestions - what could I name my newly acquired baby rabbit?

As I rose to my feet and began"Please, Miss Blench.." Queenie began to tap one tiny elegant leather-clad foot. Her face assumed it's usual expression as I spoke - an expression I would one day recognise on the face of many a nurse inspecting a specimen of warm sputum. However, to my surprise, she was amused, and spent a good ten minutes considering suitable Latin names for a rabbit and listing them on the blackboard. :D

I was in raptures when it was announced that Queenie was going on a trip to Australia and New Zealand! A whole term without Queenie! It was like a break from Death Row. We were to be taught by Joanna Yates, a sweet gentle girl, who'd left the year before. Weirdly, after a while, I found myself missing Queenie. Latin didn't seem quite right without that frisson of fear! the white-knuckle moments of standing up at my desk desperately fumbling for a right answer!

Queenie came back from her trip Down Under with a magnificent collection of treasures, which she displayed in the Fiction Library. I was actually quite pleased to see her - I greatly feared and respected that incredible intellect, and loved her shoe collection!

Munch
Now a Reverend, and someone Kerren will remember very well.

I am going to Rye in a couple of weeks, I will see if the poem is still there. I thought you meant what was written on the clock.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Yes Mary I do remember Joanna. In fact
a) she was one of our 40-years on group who met in London last year
b) she is now Precentor of Leeds
c) she is coming to stay with me in four weeks' time
d) because she is taking part in the DRW memorial service....

I was intending to tell her about this little exchange!

Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Yes Mary I do remember Joanna. In fact
a) she was one of our 40-years on group who met in London last year
b) she is now Precentor of Leeds
c) she is coming to stay with me in four weeks' time
d) because she is taking part in the DRW memorial service....

I was intending to tell her about this little exchange!

Kerren
Yes I thought I had noticed all that.