Proposed gathering at Hertford Museum - 4/5 April 08

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Re: Proposed gathering at Hertford Museum - 4/5 April 08

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Quite a number are staying at the Travelodge in Baldock on the Friday night.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

Ah dear Ladies - DR's humour. OK, well here goes!

On being caught going over the gates at the back of the kitchen one night in a brown suede bomber jacket (middle bit didn't have spikes remember?), DR loomed over me and said:"Hmm, brown doesn't really suit you does is it Dear?" Mentioned not a word about the suitcase on the floor attached to my jeans with string nor the railway ticket clutched in my stroppy little hand as she marched me back to Two at some ungodly hour of the night!

On landing at the feet of DR going over the wrought iron fence behind the chapel to get to the cinema across the road to see David Essex in That'll be the Day (I think), she did that fab peering over her glasses thing and infomed me that "the door would usually be the preferred method of exit for a young lady"

(Pattern emerging here?)

On writing to my parents about my inveterate habit of running away (or trying to anyway!) said that 'she wished that I worked as hard at staying there as I had to get there the first place' 8)

On calling me in to explain why I'd grown nasties in the hotbox in the bio lab, stuffed them inside a Milky Way and sent it Mars to try and get a free mid-term tuckbox upload she said that "she thought that my methodolgy showed imagination but the grammar in the letter had let the whole school down". She didn't mention until much later that she knew that I'd already completed such missions successfully against Tobler Meltis and Nestle :lol:

On being given one of my letters home, told me that I had such a 'strong literary bent, excellent word skills and the ability to paint a vivid picture that it was nothing less than disappointing that I'd plagiarised the premise of my complaints to my parents direct from a rather lowbrow american song'. Had to write to my Mum and tell her that there was no early end to term because of the outbreak of malaria; there had been no mass injury at Ashbourne due to overgrown nettles and finally that no-one had gone missing in the catacombs under the Houses so again, no early end to term whilst the police searched the premises. Ah, Camp Grenada, no-one can say I didn't try........

She did write to my Mum after my departure to express her regret that I hadn't stayed on but said that she had a feeling that my 'determination and ability to mould a situation to one more in tune with my desires or needs would stand me in good stead in the future'. She was not wrong!!
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

Gerrie, I thought Sheila Thompson was 2.34 from 66-70, she took the number after Stephanie Etches (in the Study with Kerren) then left after O'Levels so you and I must have crossed by just a year. Were you in the same year as Gill Green?
Oh yes, Gill Green was in my year, she was 2:08 I think I remember scribing everyone's numbers and comments as to their natures in every book in the San in an age old tradition to judge by some of year dates in there! Bizarrely, people's number often come more easilt to mind than their names!! Who else was there, Jan Hunt (fab funny, still have tape recording of her laugh bless her!), Sara Tucker (funny as hell and living up in Wales somewhere, caught her via FU last year for a short while but then she vanished again!), Jayne Trumble, Frances something or other (sorry Frances!), Terri Bailey and Googie Morrison.

I do remember Miss Morrison's final blessing on me were that we were the worst year that she had ever experienced - not convinved she meant just House Two but the beady eye was on me....................!!!! :axe:

Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

gma wrote:
Gerrie, I thought Sheila Thompson was 2.34 from 66-70, she took the number after Stephanie Etches (in the Study with Kerren) then left after O'Levels so you and I must have crossed by just a year. Were you in the same year as Gill Green?
Oh yes, Gill Green was in my year, she was 2:08 I think I remember scribing everyone's numbers and comments as to their natures in every book in the San in an age old tradition to judge by some of year dates in there! Bizarrely, people's number often come more easilt to mind than their names!! Who else was there, Jan Hunt (fab funny, still have tape recording of her laugh bless her!), Sara Tucker (funny as hell and living up in Wales somewhere, caught her via FU last year for a short while but then she vanished again!), Jayne Trumble, Frances something or other (sorry Frances!), Terri Bailey and Googie Morrison.

I do remember Miss Morrison's final blessing on me were that we were the worst year that she had ever experienced - not convinved she meant just House Two but the beady eye was on me....................!!!! :axe:
I remember Frances, a tiny little thing when she started though could be 6' by now, and Sara tucker.

As for you being the worst year, we were told that too, well not me I was too horrendously good, (see other posts on THAT topic) so perhaps she told every year. You realise adults say these things when you become one.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

That must be my mistake, I didn't have children and so never had to grow up!! By the by, been scrolling through the other forums (God this thing could become addictive!!) and have to break terrible news to your daughter - I recognised you from the set of your shoulders (you always had amazing posture) on your ID posting and your face was vaguely familiar but when I saw the photo of your daughter that you posted I knew instantly how she was before I even noticed the posting name. Tell her sorry from me, people have been doing that to me with my Mum and I for decades so she may as well get used to it because it just gets worse!!

Other half has just offered to come with me on Saturday but have had to gently decline!! I explained that the mark of an English public school girl is that she leaves her husband and children behind on such occasions but takes the dogs!! What time is everone meeting or are you all doing breakfast? I live about 1-11/2 hrs from Hertford - In North Berks and am oddly looking forward to this!!

Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

We plan to 'log people in' at the Museum in Bull Plain from about 12.30 (though some of us will hopefully be there before that, having met up and celebrated at the Travelodge in Baldock, the night before. Several are also going to make private visits to Hertford on the Friday). If you want to stay for the corporate evening meal at Cafe Rouge (attended by Elizabeth Tucker....) and have not previously signed up with Caroline, you need to contact her p.d.q.
Also if you want to stay over and have not yet made arrangements, there will be spare beds in already booked and paid for rooms in the Travelodge in Baldock (both nights) and in Hatfield (on the Saturday).
Kerren Simmonds
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

kerrensimmonds wrote:And I look forward to meeting Liz and Ruby, but no more than my dog, Willow, does. I've been over to the homeopathic vets in Lewes with her today (OB Sarah O'Reilly nee Visick works there.
Oh my, oh my, oh my.

Just having a last quick squizz at my inbox and began to hyperventilate because I didn't recall a Sarah being on the list for dinner.

Took a deep breath, pulled myself together, and worked it out :lol:

xxx
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

gma wrote:That must be my mistake, I didn't have children and so never had to grow up!! By the by, been scrolling through the other forums (God this thing could become addictive!!) and have to break terrible news to your daughter - I recognised you from the set of your shoulders (you always had amazing posture) on your ID posting and your face was vaguely familiar but when I saw the photo of your daughter that you posted I knew instantly how she was before I even noticed the posting name. Tell her sorry from me, people have been doing that to me with my Mum and I for decades so she may as well get used to it because it just gets worse!!

Other half has just offered to come with me on Saturday but have had to gently decline!! I explained that the mark of an English public school girl is that she leaves her husband and children behind on such occasions but takes the dogs!! What time is everone meeting or are you all doing breakfast? I live about 1-11/2 hrs from Hertford - In North Berks and am oddly looking forward to this!!
People are always telling her she looks like me, but I think it is the generel 'look' as each individual feature is completely different. However you remember me at 18 which is her approximate age now.

I am oddly looking forward to it too.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

No doubt those of us who are overnighting at the Travelodge in Baldock on Friday night will meet [bleary eyed?] for breakfast on the Saturday (yes, we are taking dogs......oh dear! I don't know about Liz but I never had children and my 'family' is both feline and canine). The 'official' stuff starts from 12.30 at the Museum in Hertford, where hordes of OG visitors (and I am beginning to freak at the possible numbers.....) will 'check in' before visiting the exhibition, then the town, then the school site, etc. etc. Some are even going for walks on The Meads ---yes, with dogs!
Then those who have signed up for it will meet at Cafe Rouge for an evening meal at 6.00 p.m.
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

kerrensimmonds wrote: I don't know about Liz but I never had children and my 'family' is both feline and canine).
Hi Kerren

The proposed programme of events sounds absolutely wonderful, suitably organic and free-flowing for us all. I'm only bringing ONE of my non-human family members, my offspring are 20 and 24 now and best left at home I think....
At the moment our home is bursting at the seams with the seven dogs and a litter of eleven puppies too, not to mention the cat, bird and fish x 3. Husband is taking deep breaths to calm himself, but at least he is offloading the son back to Uni on the Saturday so one less. And the fish are really easy! And Ruby will be coming to Hertford with me....
Ruby and I are really looking forward to our mini-break and we do hope the weather holds good for those trips to the Meads

Munch are you bringing your wellies and a Barbour? You have to look the part if you are going to be kennelmaid for the day.

Love
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

kerrensimmonds wrote: I don't know about Liz but I never had children and my 'family' is both feline and canine).
Hi Kerren

The proposed programme of events sounds absolutely wonderful, suitably organic and free-flowing for us all. I'm only bringing ONE of my non-human family members, my offspring are 20 and 24 now and best left at home I think....
At the moment our home is bursting at the seams with the seven dogs and a litter of eleven puppies too, not to mention the cat, bird and fish x 3. Husband is taking deep breaths to calm himself, but at least he is offloading the son back to Uni on the Saturday so one less. And the fish are really easy! And Ruby will be coming to Hertford with me....
Ruby and I are really looking forward to our mini-break and we do hope the weather holds good for those trips to the Meads

Munch are you bringing your wellies and a Barbour? You have to look the part if you are going to be kennelmaid for the day.

Love
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
hillary
Deputy Grecian

Post by hillary »

Car Parking (I think this came up earlier in the thread)

Today I parked in the multi-story carpark that is on the main road (414 from Hatfield) going towards CH/Tescos. I think it was the St Andrews car park. The top floors are long term parking (£3 for 5 hours, £3.50 for the whole day, charges between 7.30 am and 6.30 pm. If you choose short stay parking on the lower floors it's 70p per hour). Quick access into town, tiny lift if you don't want to do the stairs. I couldn't believe how cheap it was ....

If coming from the A10, it's on your right after CH/tescos so you'll need to go up to the next roundabout, U-turn and come back.

The tourist info office hands out nice free maps, if, like me, you've forgotten your way around.
Hillary
8s 1966-73
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

But what is the weather going to do? Just watching the Beeb and it appears it is going to be co.o.o.old. Have to put away the flowery dress and dig out the boots, leggings and wooly hat.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Liz Jay wrote: not to mention the cat,

Munch are you bringing your wellies and a Barbour? You have to look the part if you are going to be kennelmaid for the day
Liz - you have a cat now! You must tell me all about him/her, and how he/she loves life in a dog household!

It's beautiful sun here - I do hope this may persist for the weekend.

I'm beginning the journey this afternoon when I join Mary Mc and Caroline in Cheltenham. It was fantastic to hear their voices on the phone + I have Caroline's temporary mobile number! However, I think I've made a mistake whilst entering your number into my phone - tried texting you and it was wrong - bogger it!

Daughter Susannah just rang - told about kennelmaid duties - she thought it must be challenging to be called Ruby and have a beard. Woof!

Love from Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
hillary
Deputy Grecian

Post by hillary »

Despite the BBCs predictions of rain for Hertford, I'm sure it will be bright, sunny and clear, just like our schooldays!

Yesterday, for example, it rained all the way, until we got out of the car. It was sunny and warm until we got back in the car again, only to rain the whole way home.

Now, here's a question. I think I remember walks to Amwell, and occasionally visiting a tiny church (in a field??) that was at that time only used for special occasions. Only I've looked on maps and can't find anything - does anyone else remember it? Was it just a figment of my imagination? Have I looked in the right place?

Safe journeys over ...
Hillary
8s 1966-73