(No longer proposed) Gathering, Hertford 5/4/08

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Jo
Button Grecian

Re: (No longer proposed) Gathering, Hertford 5/4/08

Post by Jo »

I felt really bad on Sunday - went to visit my mother and told her what a great day I'd had, and how my attitude to CH has completely changed over the past few months. She's said a couple of times recently that if she had her time over, she's not sure she would have sent me to CH. So when I told her how much better I feel about it all, she said it was a weight off her mind because she's carried a whole load of guilt round for the past 30-odd years about making me go there :(

I never blamed them - I knew they had my best interests at heart, but I suppose I used to moan constantly - and pretty thoughtlessly - and never stopped to think how it made them feel. I know some people have problem parents but sometimes I think I've been a pretty crap daughter to my poor mother.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Jude
Button Grecian

Re: (No longer proposed) Gathering, Hertford 5/4/08

Post by Jude »

Jo wrote:I felt really bad on Sunday - went to visit my mother and told her what a great day I'd had, and how my attitude to CH has completely changed over the past few months. She's said a couple of times recently that if she had her time over, she's not sure she would have sent me to CH. So when I told her how much better I feel about it all, she said it was a weight off her mind because she's carried a whole load of guilt round for the past 30-odd years about making me go there :(

I never blamed them - I knew they had my best interests at heart, but I suppose I used to moan constantly - and pretty thoughtlessly - and never stopped to think how it made them feel. I know some people have problem parents but sometimes I think I've been a pretty crap daughter to my poor mother.
My foster parents got the brunt of my wailings and sobbings - they actually came and visited me at school (something my own father from West Sussex couldn't be bothered to do - and they lived in Newcastle upon Tyne!!!) - I hated to see them go, and even now my foster father is dead, my foster Mother still remembers in better details than me what she saw and felt - she too wanted to pull me out of CH and take me back up North - but they were too good, and as they didn't have permission they didn't! I doubt anyone would have really cared if I had vannished!!

Weird looking at it last weekend - it seems so much less than it was (and yes I do realise over 50% has gone!) I mean the houses - even at 17 they seemed huge , and at 21 pregnanct with my first child due within a couple of weeks, and Miss Morrision phoning the infirmary in case I went into early labour (now that would have been something new - not only "early labour" for me, but a birth at the infirmary!!) She was convinced I would drop the baby there and then!!! lol!!

I looked at the houses then - and now - and the pride has been lost, they have posh interiors, extra heating, new doors and brass plaques to replace our wooden house number - but they have lost the pride that they once held, being the home of girls from around the country and world for so many years.... I feel like the houses are a bit like shroedinger's cat - do they feel empty now we have all gone?
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach