Tea Bowls

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

thamesmudandbarges
2nd Former

Tea Bowls

Post by thamesmudandbarges »

I just remembered tea bowls the other day - for how long did they last? Did they drink from tea-bowls at Horsham or was it peculiar to Hertford?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Tea Bowls

Post by englishangel »

You are going tio have to trawl through a lot of posts as there are discussions, pictures and all sorts on here. The tea bowls lasted until the girls moved to Horsham
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

KIFF Bowls, perleeeeeeeeeeeeez !!!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

See they have/had them at Horsham too. But we just called them tea bowls at Hertford J.R.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

The warming bowl of kiff on a cold winters morning breakfast !

Arr ! - Sweet memories.
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Our kiff was in green plastic mugs but came in a large aluminuim type jug. If I remember well the tea itself came out of a BURCO?
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Yes Chaz the bowls had died out by the time you were at Horsham. But I think that 'Burco' (or something similar) was the name of the manufacturer of the electric urns in which tea was made for mass catering (not only at CH but also in e.g. Church Halls....)
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Our tea(?) was actually brewed in a huge copper in the main Kitchen, and decanted knto urns for the individual houses.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
thamesmudandbarges
2nd Former

englishangel wrote:You are going tio have to trawl through a lot of posts as there are discussions, pictures and all sorts on here. The tea bowls lasted until the girls moved to Horsham
I've just remembered that somewhere (probably up in the loft) I have a cutting from the local Hertford newspaper that made a big thing about tea bowls. I'll have to make an attempt to find it and scan and post it. I also remember the chaplain - or whatever he was called - he really did spit.....somehow eights ended up either at the very back or the very front of chapel - rarely in the middle. So when W...(memory is tinging, here...but can't remember his name) preached, we got a shower!
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

The Rev Walker!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
thamesmudandbarges
2nd Former

Yes! That 's the man!

Good Lord, did he spit!
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

There were two Revd. Walkers (and we have referred to this elsewhere on the Forum, already). Father and son. In my era we called them 'Ancient' and 'Modern'.
The trouble with 'Modern' was that he was tone deaf - which made nonsense of anything musical in the Chapel, with this drone coming from the front! I suspect that 'Modern' was the spitter....
In fact he became a good friend of Jukes and Wilson and joined their bridge parties for many years. I believe he died not very long ago....
They were both Rectors of Great Amwell, near Ware, which seemed to carry with it the requirement to be Chaplain at CH Hertford. I wonder who was Chaplain before 'Ancient', and where he came from? Does Midget remember?
From my time, how many remember the alternate Confirmation Classes with DRW and Revd. Walker? Alternately difficult and challenging, versus soft and fluffy? I don't think the Revd. Walker knew much about teenage girls.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

kerrensimmonds wrote: From my time, how many remember the alternate Confirmation Classes with DRW and Revd. Walker? Alternately difficult and challenging, versus soft and fluffy? I don't think the Revd. Walker knew much about teenage girls.
I thought we had two classes a week, one led by each of them - sadly I cannot remembering learning anything from either of them in those classes that I can say definitely came from Confirmation classes!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Canon Cockbill (pronounced COBL) was chaplain when I first was at CH, then we had a misery (name mercifully forgotten), and then the father and son combo, or possibly the other way round.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

midget wrote:Canon Cockbill (pronounced COBL) was chaplain when I first was at CH, then we had a misery (name mercifully forgotten), and then the father and son combo, or possibly the other way round.
I'm hardly surprised, given the spelling !!!