CH food

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Pixie
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: CH food

Post by Pixie »

Getting back to the Sunday tea cake, for me this is inextricably bound up with the chore of cleaning and polishing the fish knives and forks. I think this was a sunday pm job in 3's and the cake must have been sitting around in the kitchen when it was my turn to clean the cutlery.
3.8 65-72
MaryB
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MaryB »

What did we use for the fish knives etc? I have a sort of sensory memory of a pink gritty paste with a distinctively repulsive smell, which could linger into the Friday fish if it wasn't "taken off" properly. But mercifully it's separate from the cake.
Mary Bowden (Gaskell)
5.10, 3.6: 64-71
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Dear, dear Mary!

I have posted before in horrified memory of the fish knives and forks! Here is an approximation -

The fish knives and forks lives in a grubby stained metal box in the House Kitchen. They were made from a dull slightly bendy metal which thoroughly absorbed the rich aromas of every particle of Baked/Cheese Fish. They smelled absolutely horrible. If one were On Hallwork on a Friday, the opening of the fish cutlery tin was a sickening experience; as the cumulative smell of the cutlery which had brewed in the tin broke forth with a fishy vengeance!

The Pink Paste memory is absolutely accurate. Weird stuff. Lingered on the fingers for hours. But then, so did Bluebell and Gumption.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Angela Woodford wrote:Dear, dear Mary!

I have posted before in horrified memory of the fish knives and forks! Here is an approximation -

The fish knives and forks lives in a grubby stained metal box in the House Kitchen. They were made from a dull slightly bendy metal which thoroughly absorbed the rich aromas of every particle of Baked/Cheese Fish. They smelled absolutely horrible. If one were On Hallwork on a Friday, the opening of the fish cutlery tin was a sickening experience; as the cumulative smell of the cutlery which had brewed in the tin broke forth with a fishy vengeance!

Oh dear, I hope that Sir Colin's sister isn't reading this :oops: In my memory they are EPNS, and the gritty pink stuff is silver polish.

The Pink Paste memory is absolutely accurate. Weird stuff. Lingered on the fingers for hours. But then, so did Bluebell and Gumption.
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

The fish-fingers were the best of the school fish, weren't they? Fishcakes, boiled fish, pilchards.... yuk! :mrgreen:
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

I don't have happy recollections of Saturday morning breakfast fish fingers.

Baked to a state of melded solidity from the very cheapest grey minced fish scrapings-and-remnants, they were guaranteed to induce severe indigestion for me after about a quarter of an hour after ingestion. There were often a lot of leftovers.

it was a fiendish idea to challenge Alex Thrift , who liked the fish fingers, to a how-many-can-you-eat challenge.

Alex, I remember that you managed thirty-six before the hammer fell.

I actually liked the Cheese Fish!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Angela Woodford wrote:I don't have happy recollections of Saturday morning breakfast fish fingers.
I don't remember having fish fingers at all at Hertford - that's not to say we didn't have them. I DO remember fish fingers for breakfast at Horsham though - fish fingers sandwiches yum yum!
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

I remember the "fish" fingers - the only near-palatable way to eat them was smothered in brown sauce...
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

At Horsham, I used to find that the Cheese and Potato pie, sometimes serverd at tea-time was greatly improved with a great big dollop of strawberry jam on top.

I still occasionally enjoy this treat today.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:Oh dear, I hope that Sir Colin's sister isn't reading this :oops: In my memory they are EPNS, and the gritty pink stuff is silver polish.[/color

Did you, by any chance, get out of having to clean the fish knives and forks, Caroline? :shock:

Just asking! :lol:
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

J.R. wrote:At Horsham, I used to find that the Cheese and Potato pie, sometimes serverd at tea-time was greatly improved with a great big dollop of strawberry jam on top.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyone else remember not bothering with a knife when spreading butter on toast and just using the block to spread it :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Vonny wrote:
J.R. wrote:At Horsham, I used to find that the Cheese and Potato pie, sometimes serverd at tea-time was greatly improved with a great big dollop of strawberry jam on top.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyone else remember not bothering with a knife when spreading butter on toast and just using the block to spread it :lol:
Vonny: we had those tiny pats of marge so any spreading had to be with a knife.
I don't remember JR's Cheese & Potato pie (sounds too good to be real) but I did enjoy some marmalade in my sausage. Made it seem edible and overcame the fat in which it was dripping.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

We've said before on this Forum that the sharpness of the marmalade spread on double-fried greasy fried bread made it absolutely scrummy....Frances has even said that she or her husband have managed to recreate it. Wish I could!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I think you have to deep fry the bread Kerren.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

deep-frying isn't enough, Mary - it needs the added taste from the sausage or bacon fat .... I have never had marmalade on fried bread since I left CH, but I can still taste it ...
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."