CH food

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Jude wrote:We had boiled eggs about twice a term - only on a Sunday and I think it went by house.. hence only about twice a term - I have to say though Thames mud n barges was a fav... as was the watered down "yoghurt" which suddenly appeared one morning... I can't pin down what year that arrived, but it was poured into plastic "beakers" and drank - far too runny to eat with a spoon!
:oops:
I don't remember boiled eggs at Hertford (not to say we didn't have them).
We had yoghurts at Hertford fairly regularly from what I can remember. The done thing then was to take them back to house and put them in the freezer bit of the fridge and eat them frozen..... if they weren't nicked by the seniors first that is :twisted:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Scone Lover wrote:And you girls lived throught that?

Yes and it made us what we are today
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Scone Lover
Grecian

Post by Scone Lover »

You must all have caste iron stomachs
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

yes we lived through weird yogurt, Hard boiled eggs, greasy food, black potatoes, and worse - sitting with the Headmistress on the Special table up on a raised platform - remembering to eat absolutely correctly, knife and fork down when chewing etc..... I think that was probably more scary than the meals we endured!
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Jude wrote:sitting with the Headmistress on the Special table up on a raised platform - remembering to eat absolutely correctly, knife and fork down when chewing etc..... I think that was probably more scary than the meals we endured!
Certainly was :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

For the fellas who are reading this, on a Tuesday (when DR was there anyway) she had a number off girls, all from different years and all from different houses to eat with her at a top table.

In my seven years at Hertford I didn't once have this 'honour', I don't know how I avoided it as each girl should have had a 'turn' at least once every two years.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

The one good time to get this lunch was Shrove Tuesday when you got real pancakes instead of that odd batter pud!!! I achieved that once!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

englishangel wrote:For the fellas who are reading this, on a Tuesday (when DR was there anyway) she had a number off girls, all from different years and all from different houses to eat with her at a top table.

In my seven years at Hertford I didn't once have this 'honour', I don't know how I avoided it as each girl should have had a 'turn' at least once every two years.
In that case Mary - i think I must have got yours and mine - as I was up there twice if not 3 times (ok Thrice) in my 5 years.... It did mean the food was all well presented, but you were on show to the whole school, and somehow they KNEW if you had been up before! I found the whole thing very embarrassing - and twice had my back to the school (phew) but also remember facing them - that was horrible! Everyone looked at you!

can I go and hide in a hole now? :oops: :oops:
Scone Lover
Grecian

Post by Scone Lover »

As long as I live, I will never forget our school fried eggs. They were in so much oil that if one slipped onto the floor, it would keep on sliding until a wall stopped them. I am sure they could have doubled as shoe repair kits
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I was shopping in Morrisons in Reigate on Saturday and a particular shelf bought back CH memories !

Jars and jars and jars of lemon curd.

I seem to remember on occasions we had bowls of that on the table instead of that suspect fruit jam !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

hmm I'm sure that the only real thing we had was Marmite - the "Jam" was made with turnips or something as it never really tasted like real jam - and it was all sloppy. I used to come back with a pot of homemade (supposed to last a term!!!) but our lockers were so close to the radioators I had to eat it up quickly as it used to start fermenting! Then I had nothing to put on my bread.... and oh the joy of being a senior and being allowed Toast and first dibs into the MARMALADE!

Hmm quite hungry now!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Jude wrote:hmm I'm sure that the only real thing we had was Marmite - the "Jam" was made with turnips or something as it never really tasted like real jam - and it was all sloppy. I used to come back with a pot of homemade (supposed to last a term!!!) but our lockers were so close to the radioators I had to eat it up quickly as it used to start fermenting! Then I had nothing to put on my bread.... and oh the joy of being a senior and being allowed Toast and first dibs into the MARMALADE!

Hmm quite hungry now!
Did you get those absolutely GORGEOUS Marmite fritters, Judi ?

I wish I had the CH recipe !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

Jude wrote:Marmite
We were given the same quantity of Marmite as jam, so it lasted weeks.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

If anyone wants to relive CH jam the Tesco value stuff comes quite close.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Hi Mary! Food Memoirs -

Post by Angela Woodford »

MKM wrote:
Jude wrote:Marmite
We were given the same quantity of Marmite as jam, so it lasted weeks.
Hi Mary!

Brilliant you're here on the Forum!

Caroline has produced a terrific picture of a group of Sixes ?1969 - and there you are waving, top left.

Marmite?? The "jam" came in a tin jug at tea time. Thick, turgid, glutinous, it bore no real resemblance to fruit at all. But I don't remember school Marmite. On Wed, Sat and Sun, when there was "squatting" there were Home Jams from the tuck cupboard, and pots of Marmite got produced then?

One thing that amazes me now is the milk supply we had for the House. It came in a rather unpleasant stained tin churn-thing. It was there chilled on the cloakroom table at Break (11.20). Then the milk stayed at whatever room temperature by the back kitchen door for the rest of the
day. There was no fridge!

In that kitchen at break, I remember the two "chars" (as we then called those respected cleansing standards operatives. I think they were called Mrs Scraggie and Mrs Palsey; always reliable for a bit of gossip or some wholesome grumbling!

I still have unpleasant recall of hideous indigestion after those weird fish fingers for Saturday morning breakfast. But would adore a bowl of school rice pudding. I've never managed to replicate it.

Love

Munch