Hot breakfasts

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

englishangel wrote:Not only did we have cheese on Sunday we also had CAKE which had to be cut into sufficient pieces.
I almost wrote we had cake on Sunday, but wasn't certain I was remembering rightly.

Did you still have Home Jam? We could bring in one jar of jam (officially when I went it had to be home made) which we could have instead of school 'nondescript red muck' on Saturdays and Sundays. The jam was kept locked away the rest of the time.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

No, I don't remember the jam perhaps that was a 6s thing, or had maybe stopped in 1965.

We could take a bag of sweets at the beginning of term and had them doled out on Wednesday and at the weekend by a 'tuck' monitor. 5 items on Wednesday and Saturday and 10 items on Sunday. It doesn't sound much, but my own children, because they are not deprived, eat far less then that.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

englishangel wrote:No, I don't remember the jam perhaps that was a 6s thing, or had maybe stopped in 1965.

We could take a bag of sweets at the beginning of term and had them doled out on Wednesday and at the weekend by a 'tuck' monitor. 5 items on Wednesday and Saturday and 10 items on Sunday. It doesn't sound much, but my own children, because they are not deprived, eat far less then that.
When I was there sweets and almost everything else was rationed. We were allowed to take back sweets, jam, cake and fruit, all of which were locked up in the tuck cupboard, opened on Wed, Sat and Sunday. In 1's, as a junior house, we had an elderly Ward mistress, and a succession of slightly strange assistant/deputies. One of these ladies presented us with a slightly odd fruit salad at Sunday tea (after the obligatory walk). After we had eaten it she happily announced that she had used one piece of fruit from each box in the tuck cupboard, and made the "sauce" from someone's bottle of Ribena. I think I mentioned before that there was no privacy and your possessions were never safe from "inspections"
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Katharine wrote:
AKAP wrote: It gets worse. I'm glad I went to Horsham.
We didn't get any choice as to which we went to did we!!!! I am trying hard to think of anything that we had which was better than Horsham. How easy was it for you to leave the school grounds and get into town? When we reached Upper V (O level year) it was relatively easy for us to go out in 3s then gradually it reached the stage when you could even go out by yourself

One thing I thoroughly enjoyed in the VI form was the Schools Lectures at the Royal Institution. We went up to London by train, very easy as the station was by the back gate. The lectures were held in the same hall as the Christmas lectures which are on TV each year. Memory fails now to the details but I remember them as exciting and making Physics alive. We certainly didn't see any Housey boys there, so perhaps that was one for us!
Getting into Horsham was not difficult, but was a bit of a walk and a dash across the dual carriageway the school site was such that we could walk out anytime.
We had unlimited access to the tuck room, but I don't remember anyone ever having a lot in there. It was all eaten as soon as it arrived.
We had access to the tuck shop (which was a fully stocked sweet shop) on Wed and sat afternoon. I remember that we were allowed £2 pocket money per term and we could draw amounts from the junior house master on wed and sat.
Life sounded more austere at Hertford with a lot more control over the pupils.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

AKAP wrote:Life sounded more austere at Hertford with a lot more control over the pupils.
It most certainly was - I just wish I'd spent all my time at CH Horsham rather than both! Although I guess I should be grateful to be one of the relatively few to experience both schools I would always choose Horsham and I'd be quite surprised if the vast majority didn't!
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
WildOne
3rd Former

cake

Post by WildOne »

Oh how I remember the cake on Sunday, and the precision with which it was cut.

It came as a long loaf shape, 6 inches wide and about 2 foot long. We had to cut off the end crusts as thinly as possible, mark it with the knife in half, then in halves again, then into 3rds and 3rds again, finally cutting it into 36 equal slices.

Chocolate was the definitely the best, and we waited in anticipation to see what flavour it was each week.

Cheese cutting was a similar artform!

4.24 1960-1965
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

Katharine wrote:
englishangel wrote:Not only did we have cheese on Sunday we also had CAKE which had to be cut into sufficient pieces.
I almost wrote we had cake on Sunday, but wasn't certain I was remembering rightly.

Did you still have Home Jam? We could bring in one jar of jam (officially when I went it had to be home made) which we could have instead of school 'nondescript red muck' on Saturdays and Sundays. The jam was kept locked away the rest of the time.
I remember you Katharine :D .I think you had blond/gingery hair and freckles
in those days and are quite tall (???) . You were a GA in sixes when I arrived , a skinny "new girl" number 6:17. What number were you ? ( I was responsible for hankies in the wardrobe room...so numbers are very significant! ).

Yes we had home jam.We brought peanut butter, chocolate spread and marmite. I can't quite remember where we kept it.I do remember that sweets were locked in the tuck cupboard and the Lower Fifth were in charge of it. They counted our sweets as we came out.

I remember another 6s girl in your year or one below who got her pilot's licence whilst still at school.I think her name was Susan Hazlitt (?)

Greetings to Mary ( "Englishangel" ) who started at CH the same time as me and sat next to me for the entrance exam , as I haven't dropped by for sometime ( :cry: sorry ).What are the rules, Mary, about mentioning people's names here ? I really wouldn't want to annoy or embarrass anybody on purpose.

Greetings to all.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

My 'signature' has my name on it so use away.

Just I have always been englishangel since I went on the Internet (10 years ago) so I use the 'nick' everywhere.

I think there is only one woman who remains 'anonymous' and a couple of men, they all seem to know each other.

I try not to use names of people who aren't around to defend themselves. 'I remember someone' usually covers it.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:I remember you Katharine :D .I think you had blond/gingery hair and freckles
in those days and are quite tall (???) . You were a GA in sixes when I arrived , a skinny "new girl" number 6:17. What number were you ? ( I was responsible for hankies in the wardrobe room...so numbers are very significant! ).
I remember another 6s girl in your year or one below who got her pilot's licence whilst still at school.I think her name was Susan Hazlitt (?)
I had a vague feeling that I recognised your name, Alexandra!! You must have arrived after I did my A levels, as 17 was Hilary Evans in my year who left at Easter to go to Norland but came back to take A levels. I was 14 but would not have used the cloakroom much in those two terms. Also I was a DR's Mon so did not have any house duties. Yes I had gingery hair, somewhat faded now, and freckles. It was Sarah Haslett, but I didn't know that about flying.

What was the name of the House Mistress who started when you arrived? All my time up till then we had Miss Jenkins, she and I did not see eye to eye, although I had not been a Mon in UVI I became a Prefect at the same time as bcoming a Mon, completely unheard of at the time.

The jam was kept in the same cupbard as the tuck.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

Oops Katharine ! I made a mistake and replied to your post, with a whole genaeology of sixes housemistresses, on a completely separate thread under the topic " You were leaving as I was starting, Katharine" I don't know how i managed to do that ...Is it because I gave the post a " subject" at the top of the page?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:Oops Katharine ! I made a mistake and replied to your post, with a whole genaeology of sixes housemistresses, on a completely separate thread under the topic " You were leaving as I was starting, Katharine" I don't know how i managed to do that ...Is it because I gave the post a " subject" at the top of the page?
It looks as though you not only put in 'subject' but also hit 'new topic' rather than 'post reply'.