Hot breakfasts

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Vonny
Button Grecian

Re: smileys

Post by Vonny »

englishangel wrote:
Vonny wrote:There are some more where that came from!

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Thanks, my kids will love them.

I will check out the site.
I use it a lot - for anyone else who's interested the site is http://bestsmileys.com/pageindex.htm
englishangel
Forum Moderator

smileys

Post by englishangel »

I found it
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

englishangel - what IS your new avatar doing??

Planning to go to sea on a tall ship?
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I think it is doing the Sunday crossword
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Re: hot breakfasts

Post by Euterpe13 »

englishangel wrote:Obviously dropped off since my time. We had a hot breakfast every day.

Deep fried bread, which we spread marmalade on!!

Powdered scrambled egg.

Boiled egg.

Bacon (the fattiest they could find I think)

And drinking tea out of bowls!!
Stop it, MV - I'm supposed to be on a diet.... I still put marmalade on my fried bread ( when my Mum makes it...), to the total disgust of the whole family ! Don't forget the fish fingers and the cooked-to-death sausages... I can still drink out of a bowl the Hertford way - my daughter is dead jealous, she always manages to burn her fingers ...All in all, I think we were fed fairly well, don't you ?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Euterpe13 wrote:
englishangel wrote:Obviously dropped off since my time. We had a hot breakfast every day.

Deep fried bread, which we spread marmalade on!!

Powdered scrambled egg.

Boiled egg.

Bacon (the fattiest they could find I think)

And drinking tea out of bowls!!
Stop it, MV - I'm supposed to be on a diet.... I still put marmalade on my fried bread ( when my Mum makes it...), to the total disgust of the whole family ! Don't forget the fish fingers and the cooked-to-death sausages... I can still drink out of a bowl the Hertford way - my daughter is dead jealous, she always manages to burn her fingers ...All in all, I think we were fed fairly well, don't you ?
Ah yes, fish fingers. My daughter would have loved them. she won't eat Birdseye ones, only the cheapest for her, same with fishcakes.

I think we were fed very well, except for Monday mince which I know was a favourite of yours.

BTW why Euterpe?
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

englishangel wrote:Ah yes, fish fingers. My daughter would have loved them. she won't eat Birdseye ones, only the cheapest for her, same with fishcakes.

I think we were fed very well, except for Monday mince which I know was a favourite of yours.

BTW why Euterpe?
Euterpe = muse of music ( shades of past glories...)
Monday mince - you do remember the day the whole school refused to eat it, don't you ? Aunty Dot was convinced that it started with the UIV - never guessed that it was her dear UVI ( except, natch the HG and her cronies) who thought it up.... after that we got " variations on mince" and HP sauce & ketchup for breakfast...still tasted like cardboard, only curried this time...
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Euterpe13 wrote:
englishangel wrote:Ah yes, fish fingers. My daughter would have loved them. she won't eat Birdseye ones, only the cheapest for her, same with fishcakes.

BTW why Euterpe?
Euterpe = muse of music ( shades of past glories...)
Monday mince - you do remember the day the whole school refused to eat it, don't you ? Aunty Dot was convinced that it started with the UIV - never guessed that it was her dear UVI ( except, natch the HG and her cronies) who thought it up.... after that we got " variations on mince" and HP sauce & ketchup for breakfast...still tasted like cardboard, only curried this time...
I was being ironic.

And it had sultanas in.

Both my husband and I can now cook a mean curry.

Who was HG then do you remember? Judy Evans?
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Who was HG then do you remember? Judy Evans?

Not sure , it was dear Lindsay, I think - Christine Porter was one of DRs prefects, can't remember the others
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Hot breakfasts

Post by englishangel »

Euterpe13 wrote:Who was HG then do you remember? Judy Evans?

Not sure , it was dear Lindsay, I think - Christine Porter was one of DRs prefects, can't remember the others
LIndsay?

Judy Evans was the same year as Christine, the year above you. Did Christine stay on to do Oxbridge?
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

that's right - she was there until the Christmas break ( and for Fanny's illness) then Ros and Julie were made Mons for the rest of the year.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I must be getting old
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Food Strike

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

I thought Ros. Bush was Head Girl. I remember the strike...loved it ! The Monday mince was so vile ! After, it was indeed curried with big lumps of strawberry jam in it.....I liked it.

Yeah...we got sauce ( to drown the taste ) after the strike.Who remembers Entwhistle sauce or Oswhistle or something... a strange brown concoction that I've never seen in the shops. After the strike, we also got bread rolls with butter and cheese slices.

The food was ok. Marmalade on fried bread ..yum. Sunday breakfast was in house.We had cold ham with a kind of greenish sheen.

There were the old school kitchen mishaps ; a sink plug and the odd fag end in the cabbage. Frequent slugs in the lettuce and I vaguely remember a dead swarm of flying ants in the semolina....? I loved the salad with that kind of home made dressing in jugs.

Who remembers veg. pie ? I liked that too. Am I odd ? I was ( still am) the skinniest creature. Nobody could ever believe the vast quantities I devoured.mmmm Those individual steak and kidney pies were nice too.

Deserts....well, there was "stodge"...was that steamed jam pudding ?......and the only dicks around the Girls school were indeed "spotted". Apple pie with "toenails". What else?

I also remember big wedges of cheddar cheese...quite strong...but I don't remember when we had it.

Sometimes I went on "midnight walks" (strictly forbidden ) and would creep around the school kitchens with my cronies ( very creepy in the dark ,with a distinctive smell ) looking for food. We never normally went there so it was very exciting. We would also go for a dip in the swimming pool . Never got caught.
midget
Button Grecian

Salad dressing

Post by midget »

Dressing on salads-you haven't lived until you try the standard (ie every)
Sunday lunch between 1944 and 1952. Corned beef, plain boiled potato and winter salad- chopped cabbage,celery and beetroot- with no dressing and no taste.
Still we all survived and I did enjoy the economy lunch when rations were short. Very thick soup with a dollop of mash, followed by squashed flies.
Is there anyone out there from my dates?