Dormitories, studies etc...

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

englishangel wrote: Before that only 1's and 5's (the junior houses)
Was it the first 3 years in the junier houses?
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Vonny wrote:
Forms 1,2 and 3 and also some Lower IV, while some entering at
Lower IV went straight into a senior ward.

When were forms 1-3 stopped?
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

midget wrote:
Vonny wrote:
Forms 1,2 and 3 and also some Lower IV, while some entering at
Lower IV went straight into a senior ward.

When were forms 1-3 stopped?
Forms 1-3 were there the whole time I was at Hertford. All the houses were a mixture of all years/forms as well.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I have been trying to do a chart to show the comparison on forms pre 1965 with post 1968 but unfortuantely it wont transfer to here.

Anyway Pre-1965 years 1, 2, 3 and Lower IVth corresponded with national years 5,6,7 and 8

Post 1968 years 1,2,3 corresponded with national years 7,8,9.

The gap was so that Lower IV did not have to go back to 3rd form, so there was a bit of overlap.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

englishangel wrote:I have been trying to do a chart to show the comparison on forms pre 1965 with post 1968 but unfortuantely it wont transfer to here.

Anyway Pre-1965 years 1, 2, 3 and Lower IVth corresponded with national years 5,6,7 and 8

The gap was so that Lower IV did not have to go back to 3rd form, so there was a bit of overlap.
Not quite right Mary - in '63, I went straight into the 3rd Form at 11 yrs - there were only 3 other girls in my year who had come to CH at 10 and done 2nd Form, then it was LIV, UIV , LV, UV, LVI, UVI .

I went into 5s as a junior house, intentedly for 2 years, but the next year the junior houses were scrapped, so into 2s in my LIVth.

As to "priviledged " bedrooms, there was a single bedroom ( with proper mattress, feather pillows, dressing table and desk) next to the ends, which I had as Mon, and next to it a 3-bed room for BAs ( shared at the time by Julie, Ros and someone else ). The room over Fanny's bedroom was a boxroom.
B.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Euterpe13 wrote:
englishangel wrote:I have been trying to do a chart to show the comparison on forms pre 1965 with post 1968 but unfortuantely it wont transfer to here.

Not quite right Mary - in '63, I went straight into the 3rd Form at 11 yrs - there were only 3 other girls in my year who had come to CH at 10 and done 2nd Form, then it was LIV, UIV , LV, UV, LVI, UVI .

I went into 5s as a junior house, intentedly for 2 years, but the next year the junior houses were scrapped, so into 2s in my LIVth.

As to "priviledged " bedrooms, there was a single bedroom ( with proper mattress, feather pillows, dressing table and desk) next to the ends, which I had as Mon, and next to it a 3-bed room for BAs ( shared at the time by Julie, Ros and someone else ). The room over Fanny's bedroom was a boxroom.
B.
Re: Years, you are echoing what I said. 1964 was the last year with a 1st form of 9 year olds, 1965 was the last year with a second form of 10 year olds, Linda Packer was in 2's with us with a little blonde girl who was very unhappy.

Re: bedrooms, you are also echoing what I said, and I was the person in the 3 bed room with Ros and Julie. In fact I shared with Julie from UIVth on. (in the cubies)

The year after that Ros had the single room and Jane, Julia and I shared the 3 bed room.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

I know that I am getting old, but I really do not recall any 1stor 2nd years after '63 - I know that Ginny Bignold was a 2nd year in 63, and so, I think was Fiona Toplis, but that's about it. I remember Linda, but who was the blond girl ?
Ah , so you were the 3rd culprit who kept me awake at night with the incessant yacking - got ya !

BTW, saw the pics on the other thread - recognised you, of course, and Ally McIlwain. in front is Mary ? , cant put a name to the others .. can you?
B.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I will put the names on the pics thread if you want to check back there.

I think it is very difficult to remember people who are 2 years younger than you even in your own house, let alone another house.

In 2's in my year (2 years younger than you) were Judy Furnival, Julia Sibary and Sally Brooks (who had an older sister) who had all been in 2nd form the year before.

In 1965 I think there was only one girl in 2nd form who had been in 1st form the year before, a tiny little thing who was in !'s.

Always been a talker, still at it yak, yak, yak.

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:I will put the names on the pics thread if you want to check back there.

I think it is very difficult to remember people who are 2 years younger than you even in your own house, let alone another house.

In 2's in my year (2 years younger than you) were Judy Furnival, Julia Sibary and Sally Brooks (who had an older sister) who had all been in 2nd form the year before.

In 1965 I think there was only one girl in 2nd form who had been in 1st form the year before, a tiny little thing who was in !'s.

So shall I do the joke about you then Mary ?

(P'raps not. Julian might take action !)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

J.R. wrote:
englishangel wrote:I will put the names on the pics thread if you want to check back there.

So shall I do the joke about you then Mary ?

(P'raps not. Julian might take action !)
Or I might
WildOne
3rd Former

Post by WildOne »

I too got into trouble via the music-room window! LOL

Remember 'Letter-Writing' on Sunday afternoons? All having to sit in silence in the day-room for a whole hour while we dutifully wrote to our parents? Well... I had left my writing-pad in my desk in the class-room and had been refused permission to run and get it at the start of letter-writing, but I was still expected to sit in silence for the hour with nothing to do!!! Grrrr...

After a few mins, when the monitor left the room, I snuck into the music-room, climbed out the window, legged it to the class-room and back, climbed in again, and reappeared in the day-room with my writing things. Unfortunately, a monitor in 3's had seen me climbing out of the 4's back window and reported me. Before I could say anything I was frog-marched to the House mistress's room and then down to DR who gave me my first Conduct Mark for blatant disobedience!

The total irony of the situation was that I really had no wish to write home every week because my mother only wrote to me once a term, but as I had been in trouble for not writing the week before I was merely trying to avoid getting into more trouble! They just didn't see it my way... ho hum...

4.24 1965-1970
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

OK I joined CH in 1975.

All houses were from young to old, there was no "study" for us juniors - the U6th and L6th had the front ground floor next ot the front door as their study, and they were allowed MUSIC and COFFEE!!!!!!

We had a music room too, and the Sunday writing was COMPULSORY until you got to 5th form.. I wrote crap or did homework as I had no earthly reason to write home - sometimes our letters were read and censored.. I do remember writing to my foster parents begging them to come and take me away though! It caused all sorts of backlash!

most of the time available I was either in swimming training (on the meads - remember them and the canal?), the music school or the chapel on the organ.

We weren't allowed up into the Dorm after 9am until I think it was 5pm.. so if you had left something up there you had to sneak up and down without getting caught!
:oops:
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Jude wrote:OK I joined CH in 1975.

All houses were from young to old, there was no "study" for us juniors - the U6th and L6th had the front ground floor next ot the front door as their study, and they were allowed MUSIC and COFFEE!!!!!!

We had a music room too, and the Sunday writing was COMPULSORY until you got to 5th form.. I wrote crap or did homework as I had no earthly reason to write home - sometimes our letters were read and censored.. I do remember writing to my foster parents begging them to come and take me away though! It caused all sorts of backlash!

most of the time available I was either in swimming training (on the meads - remember them and the canal?), the music school or the chapel on the organ.

We weren't allowed up into the Dorm after 9am until I think it was 5pm.. so if you had left something up there you had to sneak up and down without getting caught!
:oops:
In 2's the Upper VI had the big study at the front, and Lower VI used the music room as a sort of study.

You sound as though you have had a really rough time, I don't know how you keep smiling.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

englishangel wrote:In 2's the Upper VI had the big study at the front, and Lower VI used the music room as a sort of study.
It was the same in 6s. We very rarely went into other houses and I think there were a lot of house differences that we did not even realise while we were there. The House mistress made such a difference to our lives. We called ours The Hag, which tells you what we thought of Miss Jenkins.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

I didn't know this thread was talking about housemistresses and I wrote about Miss Scott Haughton ( we called her Scottie and mmm maybe "Pot"...yeah..it started out as "Scot Pot" :lol: ) on the thread called " Housemistresses". Interesting to hear that Scottie was recalled after her retirement.I think Mrs Warner may have come after her ( she was assistant housemistress when I was there) but was taken ill and passed away when comparatively young...maybe that's when Scottie came back.

Re: the Cubicles. When they first went up I climbed onto the shelf ,in my excitement to peer over the top into the next cubicle and explore it from all angles as it were.

The shelf promply fell off the wall and I came crashing down causing drama and consternation...not about me, but about the destroyed ,brand new cubicle ( for which we should be eternally grateful to our Founder and Benefactors and give them Hearty Thanks).

I was reported to DR and summoned to her office ( remember the "waiting to see DR" feeling, girls!). She was furious and made me feel as if I had wantonly set about the whole of upper dorm with a baseball bat !

My punishment was to write to Sir Barnes Wallis and beg for forgiveness and permission to remain at the school !! I'm not joking ! I remember trying to figure out how to explain my expulsion to my mum.

I wrote the letter and sent it off and dear old Barnes Wallis wrote back THANKING me and advising me not to stand on shelves which are fitted with rawlplugs as " fittings of this nature should be treated with care"..... and he signed it in his own fair hand.

'Twould have been a lovely keepsake but it must have been tuck day and I swapped the letter for a stick of Barley Sugar with which to celebrate my reprieve. :? The follies of youth!