'Posh School' at Hertford

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

WildOne
3rd Former

Post by WildOne »

And what happened to the School Hall and Dining Room, with all that wood panelling and the plaques and portraits? Are they preserved anywhere? Or was the panelling recycled through salvage yards? I desperately hope it wasn't completely binned as rubbish.

As for the chapel... it's very sad, but I guess if you have as much 'clout' as Tesco, you can get most planning decisions to go your way :(
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

WildOne wrote:And what happened to the School Hall and Dining Room, with all that wood panelling and the plaques and portraits? Are they preserved anywhere? Or was the panelling recycled through salvage yards? I desperately hope it wasn't completely binned as rubbish.
Certainly some of the portraits (including the Sussanah Holmes one) were moved to Horsham when we moved. I guess all that kind of stuff was moved there. No idea re the panelling though.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

the Prize boards from the hallwent to Hertford,I took my son on OB day in 1996 and he was most impressed that my name was on a board.

I know there was a big auction of a lot of stuff at Hertford after the move. Penny Evans told me that Judy had bought a dining table (hallor ^s I don't know) for £7,000. I doubt very much that the panelling was thrown away, some salvage yard somewhere will have it.

As to the chapel, wasn't the steeple unsafe, or was it just the bell, which is why it was only rung on Speech Day?

And Gaye (Rosemarie) I have NEVER got maudlin about Hertford.

this is an 'old' thread which may interest those of you who are 'new' to the forum.
viewtopic.php?t=583
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

englishangel wrote:the Prize boards from the hallwent to Hertford,I took my son on OB day in 1996 and he was most impressed that my name was on a board.
They put my second initial as H when it should be M on my name on the board :roll:
englishangel wrote:As to the chapel, wasn't the steeple unsafe, or was it just the bell, which is why it was only rung on Speech Day?
Wasn't the chapel hit during the war? I seem to recall there being a crack somewhere inside. :?
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Did the Mons boards go as well as the Hall ones?

I used to look for my aunt's name every time I went into Hall my first year. I ended up on two there, as I got a ridiculous closed scholarship the school gave me an 'Exhibition'. I never understood that term when I was at school. It was £75, £50 on account at Blackwell's Book shop, which lasted my first year, and £25 for clothing.

The closed scholarship was £50 a year for 'the sons and daughters of the clergy of the Church of England, or Ireland, with a preference for those born in the West Riding of Yorkshire, who without this money would not reap the full benefits of the University'.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I think they did. Perhaps one of the current students could tell us. though I don't think any of the girls are on here. Mrs C may know I'll pm her.

I got some money from BSB my first year at University £40 I think, for books.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

thinking further, when I went to OB day we were told which houses the Mons boards had been put up in.

I have pmd Mrs C anyway
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

WildOne wrote:CONGRATS JUDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you tell us more? What do you do?
Nice one!! I want to know why Mary has lost her Grecian title and is down - I don't want to go down....... I don't like being a 2ndformer, 3rdformer or 4th former..... I am so proud to be a dp Grecian... I want a blue peter badge!!!!

(by now you will have realised I am somewhat mad.......!!)lol :lol: :o :? :D
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Jude wrote:

Nice one!! I want to know why Mary has lost her Grecian title and is down - I don't want to go down....... I don't like being a 2ndformer, 3rdformer or 4th former..... I am so proud to be a dp Grecian... I want a blue peter badge!!!!

Errm, I should just point out that a Button Grecian is above a 'normal' Grecian in the C.H. hierarchy....

So, Mary's been promoted.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Richard Ruck wrote:
Jude wrote:

Errm, I should just point out that a Button Grecian is above a 'normal' Grecian in the C.H. hierarchy....

Careful Richard, you are only 200 behind Great Plum and he is obviusly doing more work, you will soon be at the top of the 'Leader Board'
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

englishangel wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:
Jude wrote: Nice one!! I want to know why Mary has lost her Grecian title and is down - I don't want to go down....... I don't like being a 2ndformer, 3rdformer or 4th former..... I am so proud to be a dp Grecian... I want a blue peter badge!!!!

Careful Richard, you are only 200 behind Great Plum and he is obviusly doing more work, you will soon be at the top of the 'Leader Board'
Oh dear, better take the dog for a walk or sort out my V.A.T. return.....
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Sorry Mary - I thought you had gotten higher!!

i suppose like RR I will have to keep writing to get my BUTTONS!!!!

:lol:
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I think this will make my one hundredth post, does that raise me up a rank? I can't believe it is just one month today that I found this Forum, it does get under your skin doesn't it?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Katharine wrote:I think this will make my one hundredth post, does that raise me up a rank? I can't believe it is just one month today that I found this Forum, it does get under your skin doesn't it?
Congratulations, you are now GE, what you would remember as Upper Vth.

At least this doesn't ruin your lungs/liver, or make you fat.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

englishangel wrote:thinking further, when I went to OB day we were told which houses the Mons boards had been put up in.

I have pmd Mrs C anyway
Names on panels outside Court Room are of girls being awarded prizes, exhibitions, etc (including one Katharine Hills 1966 I think!), plus Headmasters/mistresses, and a list of the girls who came to Horsham. Not sure about lists of monitors - they are certainly not there.
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.