Singing Competition

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Mary , you've misssed the most dire of them all , i.e. "the tale of Ancient Mariner " - all 30.000 verses of it ( well, it certainly seemed that way when we had to learn great chunks of the stuff at O level - absolute rubbish from start to finish ! )

Kids don't do " Hiawatha " anymore - my daughter gave me a blank stare when I mentioned it... she knows all the words to Black Eyed Peas or Eminen, tho' ...
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Euterpe13 wrote:Mary , you've misssed the most dire of them all , i.e. "the tale of Ancient Mariner " - all 30.000 verses of it ( well, it certainly seemed that way when we had to learn great chunks of the stuff at O level - absolute rubbish from start to finish ! )

Kids don't do " Hiawatha " anymore - my daughter gave me a blank stare when I mentioned it... she knows all the words to Black Eyed Peas or Eminen, tho' ...
I didn't do that.

Mine know a bit of Hiawatha but only 'cos I have quoted it.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Longfellow

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

Longfellow was of course American so it's no surprise that his works are published from US universities.

I watched a long biographic film/documentary about him recently on freeview ( personally I love The Song of Hiawatha ) .....a very illustrious gentleman,hugely famous in his own lifetime and an eternal optimist who nevertheless lived through many appalling tragedies in his personal life (including his wife burning to death when her dress caught fire).

Euterpe...ummm ......criticising Coleridge on the CH forum....that's a kind of blasphemy :lol: I love the Tale of the Anc.Mar. too ,but apart from a few verses didn't study it in class at CH but read it in my free time for my own pleasure. I love poetry.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Longfellow

Post by sejintenej »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:Euterpe...ummm ......criticising Coleridge on the CH forum....that's a kind of blasphemy :lol: I love the Tale of the Anc.Mar. too ,but apart from a few verses didn't study it in class at CH but read it in my free time for my own pleasure. I love poetry.
Changing my signature from time to time I frequently come across suitable passages written by Coleridge, Lamb and the like which I scarcely dare copy down for awfulness (as opposed to being awe-full).

"I always arrive late at the office, but I make up for it by leaving early"

"Summer has set in with its usual severity"

However they pale behind the graduate of Wellingborough Grammer School who came up with
"He's got a wonderful head for money. There's a long slit on the top" The perpetrator will appear in my next post, whenever that may be.

s.i.n