Loughborough University

Want to contact someone who's been to the Uni you're thinking of going to?
Old Blues - post here if you're prepared to offer advice/support to someone thinking of going to your Uni...

Moderator: Moderators

pompeydunc
2nd Former

Loughborough University

Post by pompeydunc »

Always happy to help with advice on going to Loughborough. You will never regret it that's for sure. Similar to CH in that it is campus based and lots of inter-hall rivalry.
tomday55
2nd Former

Post by tomday55 »

Hi, I have an offer to Loughborough which to start with I though brilliant, but I have been hearing a few things which put me off, the main one being to tpe of peole who go there ( not everyone!!). I was told that due to the fantastic sports facilitiies it has a lot of egotistical students, and so does not have the friendliest of atrmsphees.
Also as you said it is a campus bvased uni,but in the town there is not much to do, you need the 10 mile trip to Leicster?
These things are just what I have heard, I have no idea if they are true so pelease let me know,
i look forward to hearing back from you,
tom
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

Leicester is naturally better as i live there ;)
come to de montfort uni instead!
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

They are kickass at sport though!!! Not quite Wessex rangers but still...
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
pompeydunc
2nd Former

Post by pompeydunc »

tomday55 wrote:Hi, I have an offer to Loughborough which to start with I though brilliant, but I have been hearing a few things which put me off, the main one being to tpe of peole who go there ( not everyone!!). I was told that due to the fantastic sports facilitiies it has a lot of egotistical students, and so does not have the friendliest of atrmsphees.
Also as you said it is a campus bvased uni,but in the town there is not much to do, you need the 10 mile trip to Leicster?
These things are just what I have heard, I have no idea if they are true so pelease let me know,
i look forward to hearing back from you,
tom
Hi Tom. The University has about 18000 students I think, so a bit harsh to say they (we) are all the same type of people. Yes, it has more than its fair share of jocks, but I was quite happy to watch them run past the Union in their ridiculous purple (African violet don't you know) tracksuits while I supped on a pint of 'nasty' (you will find out all about that!).

As for not having a friendly atmosphere, this is complete bull! You are guaranteed to be in hall as a first year, and I managed to stay in hall for all four years (it helps to know the postgrad sub-wardens mind). The halls are a great way to meet people and make the most of your time. It will give you the opportunity to meet (and avoid) many people.

As for the town, well it depends what do you want. It has loads of pubs, three clubs (when I was there), cinema, shopping mall, bowling, pool halls..... etc. You only really need to leave if you want something different, not out of necessity.

Drop me an email if you want to know more.

Duncan

p.s. make sure you choose William Morris Hall. It is on the town side of campus and is very close to the student union.
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

My best friend from old times is at Loughborough and she loves it. The town is small but there is everything you need there, and Leicester/Notts arent far away.
Whenever I visit it seems that there is a real sense of community, loads of parties etc. There are loads of sports people there so its pretty competitive like that but the university does teach other subjects - most of the people i have met are art students, and they really enjoy it!
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02