A year? How did that happen???

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

A year? How did that happen???

Post by huggermugger »

OK here goes again....

You may have guessed by now that the Summer (HAH!) term went fairly well as I didn't come back here & whinge! I am also guilty of predominantly bad news instead of good. That'll be where the DS gets it from, then.

there were a couple of bumps along the way - got the second late night "get me out of here" call which turned out to be due to tiredness/a cold/exam nerves & resulted in him being taken to the Sanitorium (is that the right word). He insisted that he needed some peace & quiet and it was rather a case of be careful what you wish for as he found himself practically alone in a large creaky building... it was an extremely difficult night for both of us but was mitigated by the extraordinary kindness & understanding of both the nurse on duty and members of the House team. Once again, I found I was able to have faith in them to do the right thing and their patience with both of us was/is outstanding.

My son hasn't found it an easy year in many ways but he did persevere and he has gained an enormous amount from being at the school. He has learnt a great deal both academically and socially. It's not perfect but very little is and it is definitely better than the alternatives. I think there are few children who dive happily into life at secondary school - I think it's always a bit of a shock to the system and some children never find happiness. If I was totally honest I would say that he isn't happy all the time but I really don't think that would change if he was in a local school.

I think I have talked before about the balance scale test - does the good outweigh the bad overall or vice-versa? We,
together, decided that the former was definitely true and so there was really no question - he went back happily and although he always claims that he'd rather stay at home, I sometimes feel that he says that for my benefit because he immediately jumps into the Boarding House without a backward glance & can hardly be bothered to speak to me once he is in there! Once again, the only communication I have had is to tell me what he needs and what we have forgotten (Trumpet - groan - extra trip down yesterday... tho nice to see him & visit the Tuck Shop!)

The strangest thing of all is to look at him and realise he is now a 3rd Former - what large, knowledgeable, confident creatures they appeared to be when we first arrived! Presumably, that's what he looks like to the new second-formers and his parents - yet to me he still looks like a small boy...

So there we are - a long post but a short version of the Summer term :)
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: A year? How did that happen???

Post by Mid A 15 »

What you refer to as the "sanatorium" always used to be known as the infirmary or, more colloquially, the sicker.

Glad he had a good summer term. Is he a cricketer?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

Hmm - he tried to be a cricketer. Long story. But he does enjoy playing & I think he'll have more success next year. He tries very hard at all the sports & PE but he doesn't seem to achieve very much; his report gave him top marks for effort and but average for attainment! A lot of importance is attached to doing well in sport and the standard is very high. The whole team games thing is a new one to him & he wasn't helped by starting CH with an injury which meant he couldn't play contact sports for 6 weeks.

I do hope he does get into cricket - it's the only sport which is as civilised to watch as it is to play - I can see myself sitting in a deckchair in the sun, nursing a cucumber sandwich and a Pimms... (maybe one day I'll even get to understand it...)
nastymum
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by nastymum »

CH sport -don't get me started. Number 1 daughter has House Colours for Sport. She is rubbish at sport but turns up to very evrything. One day she was the only one who turned up to house netball. The umpire said 'play on' . Every one looked horrified including the opposing house but they played on with my daughter playing every position. Ten minutes late the rest of the house team turned up amazed that everyone hadn't waited for them as some of them were on the school team. When she got her Colours the other girls shut her out of their rooms and complained and moaned that it wasn't fair as they were far better at sport than she was.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Better at sport, but not better sports clearly.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

huggermugger wrote:top marks for effort and but average for attainment!
that was me at CH, all my teachers said if i could get a levels basedo n effort alone they would be A's...i worked ever so hard and put a lot of effort into all my lessons. IN the end i got three alevels that got me into my choice of uni on the course i wanted to do, met some of the best people i know and now have a fantastic job!

In my opinon effort counts for a lot..its aknoweldged as a good trait to have
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

nastymum wrote:CH sport -don't get me started. Number 1 daughter has House Colours for Sport. She is rubbish at sport but turns up to very evrything. One day she was the only one who turned up to house netball. The umpire said 'play on' . Every one looked horrified including the opposing house but they played on with my daughter playing every position. Ten minutes late the rest of the house team turned up amazed that everyone hadn't waited for them as some of them were on the school team. When she got her Colours the other girls shut her out of their rooms and complained and moaned that it wasn't fair as they were far better at sport than she was.
my daughter was awarded House Colours for the same reason - not particularly good at the sports but turned out in all weathers to be part of the house teams . It`s so nice to see enthusiasm rewarded, not just talent.
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I tried to avoid most sports... I was fairly useless at them...

however, I did get my school colours for cricket... scoring
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Great Plum wrote:I tried to avoid most sports... I was fairly useless at them...

however, I did get my school colours for cricket... scoring
:lol: :lol: :lol: