Hopeful year 7 parent

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

Jade
3rd Former

Hopeful year 7 parent

Post by Jade »

Hi this is my first post as I have been a lurker for some time now. My son took the November assessment on the 8th, now everyday I'm waiting for the postman with butterflies in my stomach. He was quite nervous on the exam day and he said he didn't do very well on the English section.Does anyone know if they take into consideration his personal circumstances this early on in the process? Also if he has been excepted for a presentation by a governor, would we have received a letter by now? Any advice would be most welcome.
Last edited by Jade on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jade
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Re: Hopefull year 7 parent

Post by YadaYada »

Hi,
My son also took the exams on the 8th....he didn't say much about it so have no idea how it went...the waiting is terrible!

I just wanted to say hello really and empathise as we are in the same position. As for the 'personal circumstances' I had assumed that that was all dealt with at the application stage and that everyone who got through that were equally worthy but I don't know that for sure.

Good luck!!
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Welcome to the forum, and good luck to both of you.
Maggie
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

We are also awaiting the results! I believe they do look at personal circumstances against the results and I also think that Presentations can come right up to the last minute but I'm not sure about that.Apparently we will know by the 25th of this month so not long to wait.
Jade
3rd Former

Post by Jade »

Thanks for your replys . I wanted to wish both of you good luck also. I'm just sitting here waiting for the postman, with approximately 2 hrs. to go. The alternative is the London Nautical, which doesn't bear thinking about. I only found out about CH a couple of months ago, so my son didn't have much time to prepare. I think probably a lot of the children taking the test got a bit of a head start on that level. I'm really panicking, but trying very hard to not let my son see it.
Jade
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

WOW !!!!

All these prospective new pupils parents !

Shows just how well know our site is becoming.

Good luck to you all.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Where did you hear we'd find out from the 25th? I was counting down for the first week in December....would be great if earlier!
When we went to the Open Day there was a maths teacher (possibly head of maths?) who was saying they try to structure the exams to not disadvantage those pupils who haven;t had any special tutoring. I hope so as I can't afford tutoring so have to hope my son has covered the things he needs to - he seems to think he has so that;s good!
Jade
3rd Former

Post by Jade »

The teacher that was speaking to parents after the exam , said that if you hadn't received a letter by Dec.1st that you should ring them. I guess that sounds like the 25th would be about right.
Jade
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

I thought he said the 25th was the date but I could be imaginging this as the whole thing was a bit frenetic due the weather. I felt so sorry for the two staff who were doing the admin in the pouring rain!
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Jade wrote:Thanks for your replys . I wanted to wish both of you good luck also. I'm just sitting here waiting for the postman, with approximately 2 hrs. to go. The alternative is the London Nautical, which doesn't bear thinking about..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Jade

My ex-husband and several of his friends attended the London Nautical School.

What can I say?

They are all marine engineers, and enormous fun as boyfriends (but make c$ap husbands). Someone (Churchill?) once commented that it took an Act of Parliament (after the Titanic sank) to make Marine Engineers officers, and that it would take an Act of God to make them gentlemen.

The things that they got up to at school always made the LNS sound like so much more fun (in a death defying kindof way)than CH (Hertford), and I have to say that, in my youth, I spent many happy hours with them doing things that my Ma absolutely would not approve of.

Do the pupils still wear naval uniform? Let's hope that your son is admitted to CH so that you aren't subjected to ironing cap covers and putting 7 creases into the back of uniform shirts.

Fingers crossed that all applicants end up with the outcome that they hope for.

Best wishes

Caroline
bookworm
2nd Former

Post by bookworm »

My son did go to London Nautical AND my daughter is considering it as a 6th form option (if she doesn't get into CH)
They still do wear a Naval uniform and the 'houses' are all named after watches
Mr Buller is STILL there :)
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

My letter from CH says that they will be in a position to send out results from the first week in December so I reckon we shouldn't all be getting too worried for another week at least! It also says - in bold! - please do not ring for the results.

The London Nautical School sounds alright - if mine doesn't get into CH it is the local comp :(
Jade
3rd Former

Post by Jade »

Well he hasn't been given a place at the Nautical School yet either. They do still wear a nautical uniform, and I'm awful at ironing. :( I'd give anything for him to get a place at CH. I'll be devastated if he doesn't get in. He is so excited he has almost packed his suitcases to go. I'm just trying to keep his feet on the ground, and prepare him for maybe one of the first major disappointments in his life.
Jade
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

bookworm wrote:My son did go to London Nautical AND my daughter is considering it as a 6th form option (if she doesn't get into CH)
They still do wear a Naval uniform and the 'houses' are all named after watches Mr Buller is STILL there :)
Rolex ?

Omega ?

Breitling ?

:axe:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

J.R. wrote:
bookworm wrote:My son did go to London Nautical AND my daughter is considering it as a 6th form option (if she doesn't get into CH)
They still do wear a Naval uniform and the 'houses' are all named after watches Mr Buller is STILL there :)
Rolex ?

Omega ?

Breitling ?

:axe:
Ignore him, the rest of us do. However I would have a bit of difficulty with a house called Dog.

Ohhhh Nooo, it must be catching
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"