Hopeful year 7 parent

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

ben ashton
Grecian

Re: Hopefull year 7 parent

Post by ben ashton »

Hi Jade

I got into London Nautical and would have gone there if I didn't go to CH!!

Did cheat on the entrance exam (which was harder than CH's)

hehe

Ben
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by HowardH »

Although I appreciate that the wait is agonising, I confirm that the results should be received by 1st December. As I said at Fulham, whilst singing in the rain, please do NOT telephone for results until after that date.
Gosh, it is now snowing!
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Yikes! I preferred thinking they wouldn't be sent out until the first!!

Presumably all the results go out together? You talked about the Fulham assessment - we were at the afternoon session in Horsham.

Thanks!
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by HowardH »

Indeed all the results will go out on the same day.
It is now raining freezing bits of ice!
Jade
3rd Former

Post by Jade »

Do you know how many children took the exam ? How many will be chosen to go to the residential assessment and how many children will be given a place? Thanks
Jade
Jade
3rd Former

Post by Jade »

Also do they take in to consideration the child's circumstances this early on in the process? Thanks
Jade
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

I don't know how many took the exam - I think there were 4 sessions - morning and afternoon at Fulham and at Horsham. I think about 300 get through to the residential although I can't remember where I got that figure from. Not sure about the final intake tho....most schools are 130-150.
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by HowardH »

491 children took the exam.
271 boys and 220 girls. This is the first year for five years when there has been such a disparity in the number of applicants.

We will be inviting 120 boys and 120 girls to the residential exams in January.

All aspects of a child's need, performance and potential are taken into consideration, I can assure you.

At the January meeting after the exams, many experts in their field will have undertaken countless hours of preparation. The meeting lasts about 8 hours and it is the most thorough of all procedures that I have experienced.

At the end of this meeting 56 boys and 56 girls will be offered places. There is usually a waiting list of about 6 pupils of either sex also.

Howard Holdsworth
Master i/c Entrance Exams
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Thank you for this detailed information.

Can you tell me what affect a Governor's Presentation has on this process as I am very confused about it.

Only 56 places....OMG
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Is the London Nautical School the one in Stamford Street S.E.1. ?

When I was working in London, I used to see the pupils (?) going in and out in their smart uniforms.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Jade
3rd Former

Post by Jade »

Yes that's the one J.R. The uniform is quite nice, but the quality of the education is not terribly good. Many thanks to Mr. Holdsworth for the useful information, it's very much appreciated.
Jade
onewestguncopse
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by onewestguncopse »

My understanding is that if you are awarded a presentation then a place at the school is offered if you pass both the English and Maths exam (not easy) and that there are no serious concerns about the child's ability to cope at CH. By that I mean, their behaviour here on the assessment or based on reports from Head Teachers etc. The first cut off point however is academic not social. Having sat through the entrance exam meeting last year I can assure you that it is thorough!
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

englishangel wrote:
J.R. wrote:
bookworm wrote:My son did go to London Nautical AND my daughter is considering it as a 6th form option (if she doesn't get into CH)
They still do wear a Naval uniform and the 'houses' are all named after watches Mr Buller is STILL there :)
Rolex ?

Omega ?

Breitling ?

:axe:
Ignore him, the rest of us do. However I would have a bit of difficulty with a house called Dog.

Ohhhh Nooo, it must be catching
..... or Graveyard
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Jade
3rd Former

Post by Jade »

Firstly I want to start by congratulating everyone that past the November assessments . My deepest sympathy to those who didn't. I was wondering if anybody knows what to expect at the January assessment? Do they take the English and math test on the day they arrive? Is the reasoning test verbal or nonverbal? What do they do in the sports test? What kinds of questions do they ask in the interview? Any advice would be most welcome. Many thanks.
Jade
Laura12
3rd Former

Post by Laura12 »

We were in the same position that you are in last year. The waiting was awful. My son went onto the January assessments and if I can remember correctly it was much the same as the first ones plus some extra maths in another test. The sports assessment was football skills and some running. I was worried about the football side of things as he doesn't play football but the main thing I think is that they see the child giving it ago. The interview is with the housemaster/mistress that they assigned to and was about hobbies and interests etc. Then it’s another awful wait after that but he was successful and started in September this year and loves it.