Hopeful year 7 parent

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Re: Hopefull year 7 parent

Post by YadaYada »

The letter with the timetable came today. There are English and Maths tests plus Non verbal reasoning, verbal reasoning and quantitative....5 written tests in total. Sport, music (if required) and interviews. Looks awful....am so glad it's not me!
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

And a quantitave test is what exactly?
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Can someone explain to me how the terms 6 and 7th year have slipped into everyday CH jargon and that we no longer say Deps or Grecians year? All would be parents seem to be using this or is it perhaps that they are not yet fully acquainted with the beauty of being a Little Erasmus or a Buttoned Grecian?
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

As a would be parent I confess that I don't know how each of the years are called at CH so I stick with what I am familiar with....Year 6 and Year 7 etc.
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Quite understandable then...

If things havent changed since 1984 it should read:

2nd Form
3rd form
Little Erasmus 4th year but only 3rd in the school
Upper Fourth
Great Erasmus
Deputy Grecian
Grecian
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
Jade
3rd Former

Post by Jade »

Well I promise to use the correct terminology for the names of the years, if my son gets given a place at CH. I was also wondering what a quantitave test was?
Jade
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

I've found out that a quantitatie test is not too disimilar to verbal and non-verbal reasoning. It is problem solving based on being able to see patterns in strings of numbers, and or letters and words. Like, 1, 4, 7, .....what comes next?

That's what I think it is having asked at school. People were a bit vague tho!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Year 6 is the final year at primary school (age 10-11), and Year 7 is the first year at secondary school age 11-12), nationally agreed, nothing to do with Deps and Grecians etc.

Just so everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet to mix metaphors.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

englishangel wrote:Year 6 is the final year at primary school (age 10-11), and Year 7 is the first year at secondary school age 11-12), nationally agreed, nothing to do with Deps and Grecians etc.

Wow so when you leave CH you are in Year 13 or 14! I thought the private system was different as when I was a teacher those doing A level were 7th Formers!
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

If students stay on until 6th form, what used to be lower 6th when I was at school is now Year 12 and Upper sixth is Year 13.
In the state system that is.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

CHAZ wrote:
englishangel wrote:Year 6 is the final year at primary school (age 10-11), and Year 7 is the first year at secondary school age 11-12), nationally agreed, nothing to do with Deps and Grecians etc.

Wow so when you leave CH you are in Year 13 or 14! I thought the private system was different as when I was a teacher those doing A level were 7th Formers!
I think each private school has its own system, I know you taught at Oakham School, I had a boss with a daughter there so knew about Forms 6 and 7

Most kids know which year they are in tho'. Although in the state system year 12 is still usally referred to as Lower Sixth and Year 13 Upper Sixth.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

YadaYada wrote:I've found out that a quantitatie test is not too disimilar to verbal and non-verbal reasoning. It is problem solving based on being able to see patterns in strings of numbers, and or letters and words. Like, 1, 4, 7, .....what comes next?

That's what I think it is having asked at school. People were a bit vague tho!
Hi

It's good to know that the people administering the tests (the school) are clear on what they are administering :wink:

Scientifically, a quantitative test gives absolute numerical values as results - so, quantitatively, the concentration of drug X in that vial is Y mg/mL, whereas a qualitative test would give a yes/no answer: the concentration of drug X in that vial is sufficient to achieve Y reaction. Hmmmm, that is very simplistic, and I'm not sure that I have been absolute precise with the definitions. Might need to consult Wikip.

Caroline
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Sorry, I should have been clearer....I didn't ask CH about what a quantitative test was.....am positive they know!....but I asked at the school where I work.
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

englishangel wrote:
CHAZ wrote:

I think each private school has its own system, I know you taught at Oakham School, I had a boss with a daughter there so knew about Forms 6 and 7

Most kids know which year they are in tho'. Although in the state system year 12 is still usally referred to as Lower Sixth and Year 13 Upper Sixth.

Whne was your boss's daughter there as perhaps I may have taught her?!
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

She is 22 and in her 3rd year at Newcastle doing medicine. So she would have gone to Oakham in 1997 I suppose, though may have gone at 13 from her prep school.

Her surname is Ferraro but her first name escapes me.