Helpful Tips for New Parents please!!!

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Re: Helpful Tips for New Parents please!!!

Post by Fjgrogan »

My grandmother always used to serve tinned peaches and tinned rice for dessert. After she died we found dozens of tins of both in her kitchen cupboard. Now you have made me all nostalgic, I shall put tinned peaches on my Tesco online order!!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Fjgrogan wrote:My grandmother always used to serve tinned peaches and tinned rice for dessert.
Together or alternately? Sounds very sweet if served together!
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Together and every single day - I lived with her for a while and remember it vividly; she also managed to boil eggs with runny whites; and she had a stew on the go all the week to which she just kept adding things - it's a wonder i survived really!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

She sounds like a thrifty lady.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Fjgrogan wrote:Together and every single day - I lived with her for a while and remember it vividly; she also managed to boil eggs with runny whites; and she had a stew on the go all the week to which she just kept adding things - it's a wonder i survived really!
Suddenly the peaches and rice sounds delicious :)
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

lonelymom wrote:
Fjgrogan wrote:My grandmother always used to serve tinned peaches and tinned rice for dessert.
Together or alternately? Sounds very sweet if served together!
Sweet sticky rice and mango - oh yum. No tins involved unfortunately... :wink:

Completely off topic, but this has just opened a door of my increasingly bizarre memory banks - we used to regularly visit relatives in Faversham when I was a child and got there via a road called Love Lane which contained a pea-canning factory and not much else... :?
Momto2
Deputy Grecian

Post by Momto2 »

Ajarn Philip wrote:
Completely off topic, but this has just opened a door of my increasingly bizarre memory banks - we used to regularly visit relatives in Faversham when I was a child and got there via a road called Love Lane which contained a pea-canning factory and not much else... :?

Ohhhh, spooky thought transference - I've just this minute been looking up Faversham on Google Maps as we have a "do" there soon - will look out for Love Lane and the pea-canning factory :D
Jade
3rd Former

Post by Jade »

Gosh, the 9th of September is fast approaching. It's both exciting and scary. I was wondering if there are any other suggestions of things my DS might want to take with him? How large is the wardrobe that he hangs his clothes in? Will he have any drawers? How big is his tuck locker? Will he need an alarm clock? Can he get his laundry washed on any day? Will sending him with lots of photos of friends and family be upsetting to him? Any tips would be most welcome. Thanks :D
Jade
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Jade wrote:Gosh, the 9th of September is fast approaching. It's both exciting and scary. I was wondering if there are any other suggestions of things my DS might want to take with him? How large is the wardrobe that he hangs his clothes in? Will he have any drawers? How big is his tuck locker? Will he need an alarm clock? Can he get his laundry washed on any day? Will sending him with lots of photos of friends and family be upsetting to him? Any tips would be most welcome. Thanks :D
Right, in order... the wardrobe will be plenty big enough to hang whatever he needs to hang (not forgetting that anything that falls off the hanger will remain crumpled up at the bottom of the wardrobe for days!), but to give you an idea I manage to hang all of my daughters sports kit, plus dresses and skirts comfortably. Yes, he will have drawers too, and they are plenty big enough to put the rest of his clothes in. The tuck locker is quite small, I would guesstimate about 20cm wide by 30cm high and 30cm deep, but still should fit lots of tuck in it. No, he won't need an alarm clock because there is a rising bell, but if he is likely to want to get up early to shower before breakfast then it might be a good idea. Laundry is washed on set days, ie sports kit goes down on set days, civvies on a different day, bedding on another day etc. Photos are a good idea, well they were for my daughter anyway, but you know best whether it is likely to upset him. And don't forget to send him with writing paper, envelopes and stamps if you think he will want to write.
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

If you do decide on an alarm clock(all mine have them) don't get a ticking one.Eldest had one of these as I didn't think that as she was sharing a room it would drive everyone mad...
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Once they are allowed to take their mobile phones they can use the alarm clocks on those......one less thing to lose/break/pack!
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

YadaYada wrote:Once they are allowed to take their mobile phones they can use the alarm clocks on those......one less thing to lose/break/pack!
No they won't be able to, because mobile phones have to be given in to the member of staff on duty at night, and collected again in the morning. If anyone doesn't give their phone in it is confiscated :(
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Ok, thanks....that is a really useful tip as my son was planning on using the alarm on his phone. Guess we'll have to get an alarm clock then!

Any other suggestions for Essential Items or maybe Things we forgot to send and they really needed?!
thriftymatron
3rd Former

Post by thriftymatron »

Please make sure that they can manage to change their duvet covers and put sheets on their beds - they need to be able to do it on their own! They also need to know how to cut their nails with either clippers or nail scissors (it's your choice which you send them with).

If your child wears glasses and you have a spare pair, please bring them and leave with the matron for use in an emergency. In my experience, if the pupils have both pairs, they mislay or damage both before saying anything! Even an old prescription is better than nothing, if there is a problem with their current pair.

Swimming goggles are something I often get asked for in house (I only have 1 spare pair!) and if girls do not want to get their hair wet, they need to bring a swimming hat.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Will he need stuff to help him with his homework like a dictionary?

Unless I have missed it I haven't seen a list of things like this that he may need to help with his studies.