Helpful Tips for New Parents please!!!

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Helpful Tips for New Parents please!!!

Post by SAS »

Hope you are ready for the name taping! Start early! Especially on the socks
Agreed! And don;t foget the tapes to hold them together when they go in the wash. I found some old muslins (don't laugh!) and cut off the hems and used them, which works well and saves going out and buying tape. Tea towel hems would work too.
wickedwitch
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by wickedwitch »

i am dreading the sewing somewhat! i dont think we find out the house name until the open day so i have a little time left to rest my sewing fingers!! DD's Godmother is going to pay for some games kit, which is great. Optician done, dentist booked for monday. Just got to get her stepdad to figure out his self employed earnings before 21st so i can get the forms witnessed and sent off. Unfortunately he hates doing his accounts more than just about anything else in the world. <sigh>
wide awake on the edge of the world
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Last year I did 2 sets of photocopies of the required items for the accounts and kept one set here. I found it really useful as I was aware the forms would be coming soon so was able to check exactly what was needed and get myself organised in good time. Has been a lot less stressful this year.

Can't think of a tip to make the name taping stress-free.....especially the socks.....I hate it! Possibly a 'sew-a-sock' party for friends!
wickedwitch
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by wickedwitch »

ooh apparently she is in Barnes A. Anyone else got kiddies in there?

Yada - i'm going to practice straight lines with the sewing machine. If i can cobble together a pleated dress, there has to be a way to sew name labels on stuff with it!!!
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

wickedwitch wrote:ooh apparently she is in Barnes A. Anyone else got kiddies in there?
No, but two in Barnes B, so they'll meet in matron's office.

(I know a lovely Barnes A girl and a lovely Barnes A mummy too :D )
lonelymom :rolleyes:
wickedwitch
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by wickedwitch »

sounds lovely. thanks. I'll let her know. Her cousin is in the boys house next door and i know they are both really pleased to be close to each other. I guess there may be taboos about mixing with newbies but i'm sure he'd ignore all that!!

Nicky x
Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

wickedwitch wrote:ooh apparently she is in Barnes A. Anyone else got kiddies in there?
My daughter's in Barnes A. She's on the LE at the moment so will be on the UF when your daughter starts. If you need any helpful tips or anything please feel free to message me.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I have a tartan blanket which bears the Cahes' name tag "EVANS Ba B 35"
It was sewn on by my Mother in 1940 !!!
and is one of my most precious possessions !

I hope yours last as long ! :)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I have a tartan blanket which bears the Cahes' name tag "EVANS Ba B 35"
It was sewn on by my Mother in 1940 !!!
and is one of my most precious possessions !

I hope yours last as long ! :)
In those days with minimal heating and open windows and one thin school blanket a second blanket was a luxury. I don't know where mine has gone to in so many moves.
Perhaps they have some heating now.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

My son reported that it was freezing...especially in the mornings.....so he too has a name-taped blanket.......they may have the heating....but do they turn it on?!
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

The other thing is to master the ancient art of packing.I was OK the first time as I was determined to do it properly and everything was shiny and new and somehow it all seemed to fit.By the time my third one went I was quite cavalier but rue the day I took my eye off the proceedings believing my offspring to have matured and become shining examples of independence and organisation.Because they are going back tomorrow my house looks like an airport lounge.Oh how I wish I had not abandoned my lists ! My younger daughter tells me (don't ask me how she knows)that yadayada's son has a list .She sighed in a resigned way about it and clearly thought I was not doing my duty ...