GCSE options

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

lonelymom
Button Grecian

Re: GCSE options

Post by lonelymom »

IB stands for something like International Baccalaureate (I've probably spelt that wrong), and it's a newish exam that, I think, replaces A levels. I'm not entirely sure how it works etc, but I know a lot of grammar schools and indies are introducing it. I'd be interested to know whether CH are going to follow suit, and if so, when.
lonelymom :rolleyes:
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Now I'm COMPLETELY lost!
You and me both J.R. !!

First we are told that the number of GCSEs our children will take is being reduced because Cambridge have indicated that 8 subjects are more than ample. Then we are told that the same University will be demanding A* grades at A level in order to distinguish between good and very good candidates.

Next, we have a teacher indicating that while the IB is under consideration for CH it is "not likely to be introduced for a few years (if at all)", but in another post stating "No wonder so many top schools are looking at the new Pre U or IB". (I'd always thought of CH as a top school!).

As a parent I just want the best for my children, but I'm finding it hard to interpret the increasingly conflicting advice as to how best to achieve this! All I can say is, thank heavens my boys haven't set their hearts on Cambridge!!
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Lonelymom wrote:
IB stands for something like International Baccalaureate (I've probably spelt that wrong), and it's a newish exam that, I think, replaces A levels. I'm not entirely sure how it works etc, but I know a lot of grammar schools and indies are introducing it. I'd be interested to know whether CH are going to follow suit, and if so, when.
I believe that the International Baccalaureate (and yes, you’ve spelt it right!) is actually about 40 years old, although it is only in recent years that it is becoming more widely available in the UK as an alternative to A levels (and not just at independent and grammar schools, many state comprehensives are also introducing this option). As I’ve described on another thread, the IB enables sixth form students to study six academic subjects covering the spectrum of languages, arts, humanities, science and mathematics, alongside three compulsory core elements comprising theory of knowledge, an extended essay, and community service/action (which could include, for example, the DofE, or playing in a band). The qualification is very popular with Universities, and full marks for the IB diploma would be equivalent to six and a half top grade A levels in terms of UCAS points. My DS is very keen, and has told me that even if the Foundation were to make it possible financially for him to stay on at CH for the sixth form, he would probably now choose to leave in order to study for the IB.

Another key advantage of the IB is that, as it says on the tin, it is an International qualification, currently taught in 134 countries and recognised by Universities worldwide. As CH is now keen to compete with other top schools for fee-paying sixth formers including those from overseas, I am surprised that they are not giving a higher priority to introducing this increasingly popular course of study.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I certainly know that the IB was taught in one of the local private schools (a Quaker Foundation) when we were in the US 20 years ago as one of my husband's colleagues sent his children there so they would have an internationally recognised high school qualification.

On the other hand, by the time they are 25 it really doesn't make a lot of difference. I think that home circumstances and role models are much more important.

http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Arts-and ... 18973.html
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I think I now understand why one of my cousins is so pleased that he has been able to take early retirement as a school-teacher. (Deputy Head).

He reckoned he spent more time doing 'useless admin' rather than what he trained for - TO TEACH.

Much like todays so called police officers. I was talking to a serving officer recently who has his own 'neighbourhood-beat', and he reckons on a 8 hour shift, he might be lucky to actually be 'out-and-about' for 3 hours. The rest, (less meal-break), would be spent form filling.

What is this country coming to ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I remember Chris Tarrant asking that question on his breakfast show about 25 years ago.

The best answer was Ravel's Bolero.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Just thought I would lighten up a little
onewestguncopse
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by onewestguncopse »

The IB is the International Bac and is now popular in state academies and many independent schools. It is a broad based liberal arts qualification. All students take 6 subjects post GCSE, three at Higher Level and three at Standard level. They must do one science, one maths, one humanities and one foreign language PLUS two others. In addition they do a one year introduction to Philosophy and a compulsory Community Service active. A good scheme but expensive to administer for reasons that are complex to explain.

The Pre U is very new and an old fashioned A level course. It is managed by the Cambridge Exam Board and is linear (rather than modular). No re sits, academically elitist - just like the old A levels that I did and some of you did too know doubt. This is also popular as it is more rigourous and hence attractive to the top univeristies.

Both are being thought about soon but no decision will be made for some time.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Thanks for that, onewestguncopse. My eldest is at CH and is choosing her gcse options now (third form), so when you say that the IB and the Pre U are being thought about, do you know if they will be introduced in time for her to take it?
Last edited by lonelymom on Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
lonelymom :rolleyes:
onewestguncopse
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by onewestguncopse »

I think that a decision will be taken in the next 12 months. The new HM is pro IB, others are more pro Pre U. The status quo is least likely - IMHO. IB is V expensive to run so this may be a mitigating factor BUT it may attract €'s!
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

englishangel wrote:I remember Chris Tarrant asking that question on his breakfast show about 25 years ago.

You have to have seen the film Ten to get that one :lol: :lol:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Jo wrote:
englishangel wrote:I remember Chris Tarrant asking that question on his breakfast show about 25 years ago.

You have to have seen the film Ten to get that one :lol: :lol:
Bo Derek !!!!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm !
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Ah yes ...dreadlocks and all and coming out of the water...WOOOOOOFFFF....what a scene that was!

Lucky RIP Dudley Moore...
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I think I've just come over all unneccessary !
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

My GE daughter has just been told she can't do the combination of A levels she wants so I guess I will be frantically trawling around other schools seeing If any where else can accomodate her. This is most frustrating as it's not even as if what she wants to do is an outlandish combination.