New sports kit list

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

Jade
3rd Former

Re: New sports kit list

Post by Jade »

I was wondering if anyone knows what is the maximum sports kit grant given? Also when would I recieve the grant? I'm really worried that I won't have enough money by next Sunday. It looks like it's going to be much more than £250 :cry: My son takes an adult size too, so it's going to cost even more OUCH! Thanks in advance.
Jade
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

If you've been told you're entitled to the grant I would have expected you to have had some details about it by now :o
You could try ringing the school office and ask for more information. Or if there is a name on the letter which told you about your entitlement try contacting them.
lonelymom :rolleyes:
KenHo
3rd Former

Post by KenHo »

Jade wrote:I was wondering if anyone knows what is the maximum sports kit grant given? Also when would I recieve the grant? I'm really worried that I won't have enough money by next Sunday. It looks like it's going to be much more than £250 :cry: My son takes an adult size too, so it's going to cost even more OUCH! Thanks in advance.
Unless someone comes on this forum and tells me I am making a mistake, then I don't intend buying everything on the day. We were thinking that we would get those things that we can't get elsewhere, and can't get later. For example, if we have to get certain shirts from Kukri, and the rep says we have to order them on that day to be sure of getting them, then we will order them. Things which are available elsewhere such as socks we will get later. Those items which are available from the school shop must (I hope!) be availble later, so we might try them on to check the sizes and then do this later, possibly using mail order via Broadbridges in the town. The same goes for shoes, as I don't want to buy him shoes in May and then find they don't fit him in September. I am also going to fight you for the second hand stuff.

I still suspect the bill will be large on the day and that £250 may be a bit out of date.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

I'm sure there will be many others doing the same as you and buying items at a later date. I think the Kukri things will definitely have to be ordered on Sunday, but the Broadbridges items can be ordered later (although for convenience I'll be getting mine on Sunday). I won't be getting the DMs until about a fortnight before she starts, and only then so that she can wear them a bit to break them in. Socks and shorts I'll be getting elsewhere. It's difficult to say whether £250 will be enough. Apparently it was in the past, but of course, with the change of suppliers the prices have changed, as no doubt, have Broadbridges. I would think that if you source items from cheaper suppliers and use the Thrift Shop it will be possible. I've been told that the Thrift Shop has many items which are unclaimed lost property and are practically new!!!
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

KenHo, I agree completely with your approach.

The leaflet I had says " Parents on a very low income may be eligible for a sports clothing grant". I would phone the school and ask.

imho £250 is a serious under estimate. If you were to pay full price for all the items on the boys list it would be nearer £400 - £450. If you are careful, shop around & buy a good proportion second hand you should be able to do it for a lot less. However the list does include two pairs of trainers, a pair of football boots and 6 items which are specific to the school - rugby/polos shirts & tracksuit - which are limited as to where you can buy them.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

I'm with you on this KenHo as well.

I'm also working on the basis that we must be able to buy additional items during the school year if they need it. What do existing students do? When and how do they buy new kit? Especially with the new supplier?

In these days of online shopping I can't understand why Kukri can't have a year-round online ordering system. However, I will order those things we must get from them next weekend. I really dont want to get the tracksuit as the cost is just so painful! and I know he won't be in a school team BUT I am going to get it because I don't want him to get into trouble for not having it.

See you in the Thrift Shop!
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

YadaYada wrote:I'm with you on this KenHo as well.

I'm also working on the basis that we must be able to buy additional items during the school year if they need it. What do existing students do? When and how do they buy new kit? Especially with the new supplier?

In these days of online shopping I can't understand why Kukri can't have a year-round online ordering system. However, I will order those things we must get from them next weekend. I really dont want to get the tracksuit as the cost is just so painful! and I know he won't be in a school team BUT I am going to get it because I don't want him to get into trouble for not having it.

See you in the Thrift Shop!
The current pupils do need extra kit during the year, I know I've had to get replacements (bit of a mix-up with colours in the washing machine and the hockey shirt didn't survive!). I got a replacement from the Broadbridges shop but according to the CH website Broadbridges are at the school on the first day of the new terms (in the courtroom) or you can order from them during term-time and it will be delivered to the school (although then you have to get the name label sewn on). I don't think anyone knows about the arrangements with the new supplier, but I would hope it will be better organised in the future. The link from the school website to the Kukri site still isn't there, so we can't see whether it will be possible to order direct from them in the future, but in my opinion there will have to be the option to do so. Children lose/outgrow kit all the time, or even just realise they need extra, so Kukri will have to have arrangements in place to re-order.

As for the tracksuit, why don't you try speaking to your son's future houseparent? If you are convinced he won't be in squads, ask whether he will really need the tracksuit. Im sure that if you explain that you can't afford the expense for something that you don't think will be worn the housemaster will be able to give you some advice.

I'm phobic about being in small, crowded areas, so if you see a panicking person who looks like they're about to pass-out in the Thrift Shop that'll be me so please say 'hi' and I'll try to string a sentence together :)
Laura12
3rd Former

Post by Laura12 »

This is my post from a different thread but thought it was also relates to this thread as well !
My son is in 2nd form and has a school tracksuit which he wore a lot in the colder months and wore it to away matches. He is in the 'D' team for football and rugby and they played in a lot of matches. He also needed it to keep warm when he was a sub. So don't think that because your son ( can only speak from a boys perspective ! ) isn't sporty he wont be playing in matches because he will !! The biggest waste of money is cricket whites. :goingmad:
Had to buy them for this term refused to buy the school shirt and glad that I didn't has have seen that as he isn't in the A or B team he wont have any matches. So the whites are only going to be used for sports lessons unless he gets promoted or has an unexpected match which isn't published in the school calendar.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Yes, I'm going to talk to the housemaster first but I suspect if it's on the list as compulsory we will be expected to buy it. But I won't be buying larger sizes as he grows out of it if it isn't worn.

Maybe I'll get him to wear it at home in the holidays!
musicmum
2nd Former

Post by musicmum »

I just came home after a lovely day but I am still confused on the sports side of things in terms of uniform!
I went in the court room with my form but ended up getting everything from broadbridges. Have I brought the wrong items
It was so confusing as so many people. In short is the items from broadbridges and kuori the same?

Hope you all had a great day as well.
Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

They will not be quite the same, but not to worry as I think a lot of people did the same. Broadbridges stock the style of kit that the children are all wearing at present, whereas the Kukri kit is going to be the new design, not much of a difference bar a few yellow flashes, so don't worry at all.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Had a great day too!

I think there is a changeover period when both sets of kit will be okay although from what our 'housemaids' were saying it doesn't seem to matter much apart from school teams and any old kit will do. They said it is only the new year group that have all the 'right' gear.

I asked the Kukri guy and he said we would be able to order online in future although he couldn't tell me why I had to wait 3 months before my kit was delivered.

But all in all a good day.
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

I too had a lovely day. I was wearing a pink T shirt and a purple coat -staya with me there is a point to this . When I got to my daughter's house I discovered that the house colours are excatly the same as the ones I was wearing. I laughed so much as I think they thought I had done it on purpose!
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Yes, it was lovely - hectic but lovely. Buying the sports kit was as chaotic as ever, and more confusing than previously due to having two suppliers in one room. I saw lots of people buying the Broadbridges kit, so I'm sure there will be a 50/50 split of new/old kit come September (and, as Barnes Mum said, there didn't seem to be a lot of difference between them anyway).

Oh, and the Kukri man was very helpful (and also young, fit and good-looking :yawinkle: )
Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

dinahcat wrote:I too had a lovely day. I was wearing a pink T shirt and a purple coat -staya with me there is a point to this . When I got to my daughter's house I discovered that the house colours are excatly the same as the ones I was wearing. I laughed so much as I think they thought I had done it on purpose!
She must be going into Thorn A then. A nice House with lovely Houseparents. She'll like it there.