New sports kit list

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

lonelymom
Button Grecian

New sports kit list

Post by lonelymom »

I've just received the sports clothing list for 2009 in the post and I'm really angry about the new arrangements. For those that won't be receiving one and therefore won't know, I'll explain. Some of the sports kit will now be through a new supplier, Kukri, namely the crested tracksuit top (at a cost of £21), the crested tracksuit bottoms (£15), crested polo shirt (£16), hockey skort (£13), sports socks (£5) and shorts (£13). In the past all of this has been available to buy at New Entrants Day in May, but now we have a form to complete, with measurements and quantities etc, to take with us in May and hand in to the Kukri rep. What has annoyed me is the Kukri items are then available to collect on Friday 21st August between 1pm and 6pm! And if I can't make that (or can't afford the £20 petrol it will cost me to go to CH just to collect them!!), I can have them posted to my home for £10! Does anyone else think this is out of order? Why aren't we able to order them now and pick them up in May, saving £10! That £10 might not seem much to some, but to others it is! :x
Last edited by lonelymom on Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lonelymom :rolleyes:
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Re: New sports kit list

Post by lonelymom »

And has anyone managed to find the link from the CH website that will take us to the Kukri schools' shop webpage? Apparently it's on the shop link, but all it's giving at the moment is the Broadbridges info. I was at least hoping to be able to view the tracksuit online, since I won't be able to see it in May! :x
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I haven't paid over £10.00 for a piece of school clothing for my children (winter coats excepted), not even MY clothes are that expensive, £5 for a pair of socks!!!!. I can understand teams having to wear crested stuff, but not for intra school sports. Whatever happened to taking a change of clothing (right down to bras and knickers) home for the holidays in case parents couldn't afford home clothes?

I am not usually an 'in my day' person, as my offspring will testify - (I was discussing skirt lengths with my daughter the other day and it was very close which of us wears/wore the shorter skirts) but I can feel my blood presssure rising on your behalf.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

wow that does seem excessive, i only ever had the crested hoody and one white sports top, surely if they know they wont be playing for a school team they cant possible need it. Is it a case of a change in supplier and change in style? It seems a bit steep to expect you to buy that at the start of each school year, esp if just slight change in style
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

It does say on the letter that the items in the thrift shop, or those handed-down from siblings are still okay :) I think the idea of changing supplier was that the tracksuit etc would be a bit cheaper, but by the time you've added the £10 delivery, or the cost of going up to collect it, it isn't any cheaper than the old one was :(

The kit my eldest daughter has will still be okay, obviously she'll get the new style when she outgrows what she's got now.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

I too am astounded by the cost but also by the apparant need for my son to have 3 crested polo shirts @£16 and 2 reversible rugby shirts @£34.

He's not a sporty boy and is not likely to be in school teams but I also don't want him to stand out like a sore thumb or to get into trouble for not having the correct kit.

We will also have to pay the £10 (how much?!?!?) p&p as we live 3 hours from the school.

Grrrrrr......
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Surely a pair of navy sports socks is a pair of navy sports scoks?

6 pairs at a fiver each?

Do people think it is ESSENTIAL to get the branded kit? (not the crested stuff, I can see that they will stand out a mile if they don't have that but socks? )
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

I need to order an extra polo shirt for my eldest, as well as the complete kit for my youngest. Also, there is no mention of the house colours hockey shirt for the girls. Anyone know why? Will the girls no longer be wearing house colours, or will they be supplied by another shop? And on the form it asks for the child's house number - unless I'm mistaken we haven't been given their numbers yet, just their house allocation :?
Last edited by lonelymom on Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

YadaYada wrote:Surely a pair of navy sports socks is a pair of navy sports scoks?

6 pairs at a fiver each?

Do people think it is ESSENTIAL to get the branded kit? (not the crested stuff, I can see that they will stand out a mile if they don't have that but socks? )
No, I won't be getting the navy sports socks from the school shop, not at that price! I didn't with my eldest either, the ones Broadbridges sold were just basic plain socks available from any sports shop. Unless someone tells me the ones from Kukri are compulsory, I won't get them. The shadow shorts are also available in lots of shops.

If you don't think your son will be playing in squads surely he won't need 6 pairs of socks anyway?
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Thanks for your imput Lonelymom re the socks!

Apparantly we'll get their house number on the New Entrants Day.

I'm not going to get anything until then I think. I can't find the link to the Kukri shop on the school website so I'll wait another 3 weeks and then have a look at the stuff and make a decision on the day.

Presumably we can still order by mail order or online after May 3rd.

On the boys list there are football boots AND a packet of studs. Does this mean that the boots have to have removable studs rather than the moulded ones?

This is a complicated business!!!
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

YadaYada wrote: Presumably we can still order by mail order or online after May 3rd.
Mmmm, the letter today from Mrs Rowland-Jones says to give the order form in on 3rd May, it doesn't mention being able to order after that date. Might be best to fill in that form and take it along with you on the day, and just don't hand it in if you don't need to. You're right, it is a very complicated business :?
KenHo
3rd Former

Post by KenHo »

I was already going to post the same questions that everyone else has, but I have a few more basic questions as well.

As far as I can tell, there are two sets of clothes that we have to buy; those from Kukri and the rest.

I can understand that I can get the Kukri stuff by filling in the form and bring a huge cheque with me. I can even see that I can possibly get stuff from the thrift shop instead (although I might have to fight other parents for it!). The bit I don't understand is where I get the rest of the kit from?

Am I right in thinking that there is a school shop that sells many of the items but, for reasons I don't understand, doesn't sell the subset that Kukri sell? Is it, for example, the case that I buy a pair of DM shoes from the school shop? If I do buy all this stuff from the school shop then do I need to buy it all on the 3rd of May or just try things on and fill in an order form?

I also note that there seems to be about 2 hours to visit my son's house, meet the housemaster, meet the head of music in our case, visit the thrift shop, buy from the school shop(probably?), and order from Kukri. Is this the case, as it seems a very short time?
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Well, this is what USED to happen, I'm just as confused as you though.

When my eldest started two years ago, the sports kit supplier was Broadbridges, who brought all the necessary kit along to CH on New Entrants Day, set up loads of tables in the Courtroom and we all squashed in there to buy what we needed. Broadbridges also have a shop in Horsham, so for those unable to go to New Entrants Day, or to get all the necessary kit on that day, they could go to the Horsham shop if necessary. Broadbridges also sold DMs, as well as the shinpads, football boots etc, but I think it's safe to say a lot of people (myself included) sourced all that stuff from cheaper shops.

I too am now confused about what happens with the other items on the sports list that aren't covered in the Kukri list, namely the house colours polo and hockey shirts. I think we should assume that Broadbridges will be at CH and that they'll be selling all the items Kukri aren't, the timetable for New Entrants Day seems to suggest that there will be a 'school shop' from 14.15-16.30, so that would suggest some items will be available on that day. As an existing parent who knows what has happened in the past I am finding it all confusing, I dread to think how the new parents are feeling!!!

As for the timings, it is a bit of a rush, there's a lot to fit in. This is also the day when the newbies meet their nursemaids and get to know them a bit better.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Apart from the crested stuff and the house stuff I was planning on getting everything else (football boots, navy socks, plain tracksuit trousers etc) from other outlets in dribs and drabs over the next few months.

On the New Entrants Day, do the children go off and do their thing while we other things or do we stay together throughout?
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

The parents have a quick interview with the houseparent, which is when you give in all the forms, and during that time the child goes off with their nursemaid to visit matron and get measured for the white shirts and socks. If there's anything the child wants to go and see during this time the nursemaids are quite happy to oblige. Other than that you will probably be with your child.