Trains and boats and...

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Re: Trains and boats and...

Post by huggermugger »

Yes, thanks - he probably will be. I just wondered what other people's experiences are.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Let's hope they're happy ones, otherwise you might be ripping up his train ticket! Maybe you're best off putting your fingers in your ears and singing la-la-la for the rest of this thread :D (I'll pm you nearer to Parents Day to find out what flower you'll be wearing in your lapel and I'll come and say 'hi') :)
lonelymom :rolleyes:
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

I agree with LonleyMom....he'll be fine and you'll be very proud but just a little bit sad that he managed so well without you.

Can you meet him part of the way? Perhaps as a 'surprise'?

Just a thought x
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

Yada Yada you've put your finger on it - that's exactly what I'm feeling!

I do like the idea of train-chasing across the Surrey countryside but I think I'll restrain myself...

I have e-mailed the parent of one of the children who takes the same route and he has reassured me that it's a fairly easy process, so I think I'm just going to have to sit back and accept the inevitable.

LonelyMom - the flower will probably be a French Bean one - I noticed this morning that they're just coming into flower - Yippee!
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

huggermugger wrote: Yet another milestone - my DS (Third Form) has announced that he wants to come home on the train next leave weekend. He says there will be a few of them going the same way (pupils not trains :roll: ) and at least one who will be going to the same station....
Harry Potter has a lot to answer for!!
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

YadaYada wrote:Can you meet him part of the way? Perhaps as a 'surprise'?
Don't do it! He'll get an earlier train and you'll miss him. (You've got me nervous now).
Mary
CH 1965-1972
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

huggermugger wrote: LonelyMom - the flower will probably be a French Bean one - I noticed this morning that they're just coming into flower - Yippee!
Good choice! :lol:
lonelymom :rolleyes:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

huggermugger wrote:
LonelyMom - the flower will probably be a French Bean one - I noticed this morning that they're just coming into flower - Yippee!

I couldn't work out why mine had all wilted until my next-door neigbour explained that.................

they are has-beans ! :drinkers:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

Oh JR! :lol: Well, at least it's clean.....
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

gma wrote:
huggermugger wrote: Yet another milestone - my DS (Third Form) has announced that he wants to come home on the train next leave weekend. He says there will be a few of them going the same way (pupils not trains :roll: ) and at least one who will be going to the same station....
Harry Potter has a lot to answer for!!
That did cross my mind... in fact the reason he gave was (wait for it) "It might be nice to see a different route home" (!) In reality I think he wants An Awfully Big Adventure. He does really like travelling by train and for various reasons (sadly - cost, inconvenience ...) we don't go on them very often.
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

I trained it once into Hertford East - absolutely no idea why but it did feel very Mallory Towers all the way there! (Truth is I only remember about 5 minutes of the journey!!) As long as he has some sherberts and a pair of binoculars I'm sure he'll be fine!! (Something to swop and something to loan!)

Good luck with the palpitations tho'!! :wink:
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Let us know how it goes!
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

Sherberts and a pair of binoculars :lol: :lol: :lol:

I suspect he'll be too busy nattering....
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

Still I think I'll provide them and see what happens :D
MaryB
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MaryB »

huggermugger wrote:
I suspect this post will prompt tales of ridiculously long journeys by 11 year olds many years ago ...
Well actually .... we weren't allowed to travel unaccompanied until we had our BAs (black aprons, not degrees) some time in the UVth/5th form. That's not to say we didn't, but there were forms to fill in every term saying who would meet us at Liverpool St.

And of course we didn't have leave weekends - just one "Long Saturday" every term when we could go out all day with our parents and a ration of two others before Christmas and 3 between Christmas and summer when they could take us out after prep (12.15). Or on Sundays, but that was from the end of morning chapel until Evensong at 4, which seemed very short. My parents used to drive from Chichester, which took them 3 - 4 hours before the M25, and we became experts on every stately home, place of interest (even the department store in Welwyn Garden City counted amongst these) and cafe within a 20 mile radius of Hertford. Londoners used to go home on the train for the day (I remember going to Streatham with Angela once - I thought of that when I led a communion service at St Leonard's Streatham on Friday, covering for the vicar - odd where life takes you...).

I think that when I was in my last year mons were allowed one night away a term.... wow!
Mary Bowden (Gaskell)
5.10, 3.6: 64-71