Anyone wanting Kukri sports kit let me know!!!

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

ReallyMissingHer
UF (Upper Fourth)

Anyone wanting Kukri sports kit let me know!!!

Post by ReallyMissingHer »

I have spoken to someone at Kukri or whatever they are called. There are no plans to reopen the on line shop as they are not meeting with the school until September :axe: :axe: :axe:

However they only require as a minimum an order of 10 of an item to produce them, so for example 10 tracksuit tops, 10 rugby shirts of the same design etc. The size of the item doesn't matter it just has to be the same item - does that make sense????

So if anyone want anything ordered let me know and if I get enough of anything then we will try and go ahead and order somehow?

We are away for a week as from Sunday but I should be around after that.

In the meantime if anyone wants a tracksuit age 11-13 only worn for 1 year & scout camp let me know!!!

I also found a cheapish on line supplier of generic navy tracksuit - schoolwear direct.

I'm feeling a little stressed................
epammi
2nd Former

Re: Anyone wanting Kukri sports kit let me know!!!

Post by epammi »

I have just called Kukri myself and found out the same thing. I need an adult rugby shirt asap, so yes please count me in if you have anymore orders for rugby shirts. I thought I would try and get away with ordinary blue rugby shorts for now as they are so expensive. Thanks.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Is this company run ny Gurkhas, perchance ??

:axe: :drinkers: :wine: :drinkers: :rock:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Laura12
3rd Former

Post by Laura12 »

So let me get this right. I can't order a complete games kit until they get a bulk order?
My son started at CH last September and has a complete old style games kit which still fits and will be going back to school with it as he hasn't grown out of it yet.
But what happens then for example one leave weekend he comes home 1ft taller and needs new kit? (not likely I know but for arguements sake)
Maybe I've missed the explanation from the school about ordering kit but as I didn't need anything I let the order dates etc pass over my head but assumed I could get the required kit as and when.
So until Kukri get enough orders for each item he could and maybe others will be without sports kit. Will the sports masters be sympathetic about the fact kids could be turning up for lessons without the correct kit because they out grew the old item and are waiting for 10 other people to order the same thing before they can receive the new kit ?
So I'm assuming we have to wait to put orders in for the start of each term ( hoping others have done the same )not when they might actually be required ?
Maybe I've got this all wrong and if I have I'm sorry for rambling on but find it all a very odd way of supplying sports kit. I don't mind the fact they've change the supplier and style of kit but assumed it would be like buying from any school uniform suppliers you get what you want when you need it and not have to wait for 9 other people to want the same thing before you can have it.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

I think (but don't quote me) that this is a temporary thing and that eventually we will be able to order the kit in single items as and when required. But, although I do like the new kit, it is still going to be a pain in the butt to have to order it online rather than walk into Broadbridges and buy it there and then. I think it makes much more sense for the school to have a small stock of kit available to buy when needed, although this has the obvious staffing implications. :roll:
lonelymom :rolleyes:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

lonelymom wrote:I think (but don't quote me) that this is a temporary thing and that eventually we will be able to order the kit in single items as and when required. But, although I do like the new kit, it is still going to be a pain in the butt to have to order it online rather than walk into Broadbridges and buy it there and then. I think it makes much more sense for the school to have a small stock of kit available to buy when needed, although this has the obvious staffing implications. :roll:

Shouldn't be a problem now that St. Joanna Lumley has been able to assure them residency in the UK

:oops: :o :shock:
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

JR, you have completely lost me now. Please explain... :?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

lonelymom wrote:JR, you have completely lost me now. Please explain... :?

Kukri = Gurkha.

Gurkha = Joanna Lumley.

Joanna Lumley = Getting the Gurkha's rights to live in England.

Gurkha's rights to live in England = No more staffing implications !

:lol:
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Ok, so I'm probably having an exceptionally stupid moment (I can hear you all nodding!), but why does Kukri = Gurkha?
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

A kukri is a curved Nepalese knife, known as a Gurkha knife. I didn't know that until I looked it up in response to your question.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

If a Gurkha draws his kukri, he must draw blood. It's their tradition.

So if a Gurkha draws his kukri to show you, he will nick his thumb with the blade before re-sheathing it.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Young former Gurkhas are very good at stuff like Security/bouncers etc as no-one wants to mess with them but they are incredibly polite so don't antagonise anyone, and of course most of them are not great hulking blokes either. The night wardens at my daughter's Hall of Residence were former Gurkhas.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Thanks for that, MKM! :)
englishangel wrote:Young former Gurkhas are very good at stuff like Security/bouncers etc as no-one wants to mess with them but they are incredibly polite so don't antagonise anyone, and of course most of them are not great hulking blokes either. The night wardens at my daughter's Hall of Residence were former Gurkhas.
Both of the security men at my local Tesco are former Gurkhas and both of them are tiny! But they are very observant, don't miss a thing and are very good at their jobs.
thriftymatron
3rd Former

Post by thriftymatron »

I think that the original idea was that the school would decide when it needed the on-line shop to be open, orders would be taken over a 2-3 week period, the order would then be produced and delivered in bulk to the school. This has, of course, been a nightmare this summer and I have had endless telephone calls from parents needing to buy items after the shop had shut. I will be talking to the powers that be in September, updating them on the problems of this system and hopefully a suitable solution can be found. Meanwhile, only Broadbridges supply all the House rugby / hockey shirts and house polo shirts and they still have a stock of the other games clothing.
ReallyMissingHer
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by ReallyMissingHer »

One crazy part of me wants to offer to be the school's contact for sports gear but the overriding & sensible part says it could be a very time consuming job so I'll just keep that thought to myself!!!!!!