Best wishes to all the new second form

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Re: Best wishes to all the new second form

Post by dinahcat »

And again!
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

..... and the timing on both posts seems to have leapt back an hour! Seriously though, I wish they had taught TP when I was at Hertford, all those centuries ago, but I don't suppose they would have wanted to risk teaching us to actually think for ourselves! We were not even allowed to take Scripture/RE/RK/ Divinity or whatever it was being called then, for O level. The only thing I remember about Scripture lessons was having to learn great chunks of the Old Testament by heart - strangely I can still actually remember some of them, which doesn't really impress anyone because my memories are of the Authorised (King James) version and most people these days use the NIV. Nevertheless it can sometimes be useful to have something to 'pull on on a Black Tuesday' - an expression often used by the much-loved Miss Mercer.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Thanks, both of you!

How refreshingly civilised CH has become - great food, bedrooms, duvets, discos, film weekends, leave weekends, and an exciting curriculum. Makes Hertford seem like HMP Holloway! :lol:
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

What was that school called in Jane Eyre? Lowood? Aka Hertford in the 1970s
My daughter is taking Philosophy AS and her head is spinning.Good.She had great GCSE results like most of the year and thought she was the bees knees. Confessed on the phone she 'knows nothing'.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Apparently tonight's film is 'Hannah Montana'! The girls are probably loving it, not sure about the boys though :)
lonelymom :rolleyes:
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

"dinahcat" wrote: What was that school called in Jane Eyre? Lowood? Aka Hertford in the 1970s

And in the 50s! There were several members of staff resembling Miss Scatcherd in character & disposition. :( Thank heavens the youngsters at CH now are safe from all that. :)
Laura12
3rd Former

Post by Laura12 »

lonelymom wrote:Apparently tonight's film is 'Hannah Montana'! The girls are probably loving it, not sure about the boys though :)
Funny you should mention that just had a text from my son and when I asked what he'd up to tonight he replied we HAD to watch Hannah Montana. Not impresssed but did go onto say it wasn't as bad as he thought it would be !
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

anniexf wrote:"dinahcat" wrote: What was that school called in Jane Eyre? Lowood? Aka Hertford in the 1970s

And in the 50s! There were several members of staff resembling Miss Scatcherd in character & disposition. :( Thank heavens the youngsters at CH now are safe from all that. :)
And very reminiscent of the old film version of Jane Eyre, especially the dining hall-the whole atmosphere really. At Hertford the 50s to 70s (and probably till 1985 merger) were firmly rooted in post war 1940s!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

:offtopic: (ish) I've not long returned this evening from dropping my "baby" off at university for the first time.

One would think after 7 years of boarding myself, many other times away from home and having experienced two others already through university I would be used to it. Not the case I'm afraid.

A bit of dirt blew in my eye as I drove away with the window open waving good bye.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

I expect that was the same bit of dirt that flew in my eye when I abandoned my 'baby 'at CH even though I had done the same thing twice before.
Momto2
Deputy Grecian

Post by Momto2 »

Yes, that bit of dirt sure does get around :(

It never does get easier really does it Mid A?

x
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Sending big hugs to you, Mid A, I hope you're feeling a bit better today.
Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

I had that bit of dirt in my eye yesterday when my husband had to drop off my oldest in London to start her masters. I was working so couldn't go. It must have flown in through my office window. :cry:
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

When I have to take my youngest back on Sunday at the end of her first Leave Weekend I'm going to wear sunglasses and keep all the windows shut! :roll:
Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

You know full well that the dirt will still get it through the sides! Maybe swimming goggles would do the trick, at least the girls would then be laughing at you instead of worrying about going back to school!