New Official CH Parents Forum

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

Eruresto
Grecian

Re: New Official CH Parents Forum

Post by Eruresto »

That's true - though that's why I like that this is an "unofficial" forum (which when I first found it was a little off-putting as I had tended to equate "unofficial" with "amateur") - while we have the disclaimer which is fine, we are allowed to speak freely without fear of, in my until recent case, a detention, say, or in the case of parents, carefully worded letters from the Chinquisition - which is what I fear will be the case with this new one - and the way they're making it parents' only, "so please keep the details confidential" gets my back up a little. I wonder if non-members will be able to view content?

Though I do see what you mean with people having to watch what they say as it is. I suppose it's easier for OBs as the school doesn't actually have any hold on them any more.

(Note: I'm not one of those typical dissenter types: I avoid Housey Peaceful Revolution and the suchlike and have always found the various members of the SMT to be friendly towards me; I'm just aware that the CHPD isn't always limited to their Citroen Berlingo and Portakabin :wink: )
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

the Chinquisition
- Brilliant!

- Housey Peaceful Revolution SMT
... What are these?
-the CHPD isn't always limited to their Citroen Berlingo and Portakabin
... and these?
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

anniexf wrote: - Housey Peaceful Revolution SMT
... What are these?
-the CHPD isn't always limited to their Citroen Berlingo and Portakabin
... and these?
Housey Peaceful Revolution was a Facebook group started about 8-10 months ago - maybe coming up to a year now. Anyway, it was a "we don't like what's happening at school" group. One of the people I believe joined this forum - remember Kimchi? - and caused a bit of a stir.

SMT is Senior Management Team; CHPD (CH Police Department) is the nickname for the Security men :wink:
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Laura12 wrote:My son was told at school last week that CH was losing 2 million a year and at that rate will be closed in about 15 years. So I can see why if that is the case why they want more full fee paying students.
If this information is correct, should not the powers that be be looking at the performance/abilities/competencies of the people they employ to make the decisions about how to run the school and manage its financial affairs?
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Probably becasue it is not true....rumours like this are constantly going round and were happening 20 years ago when I was there

Financial report of the foundation at the link

http://www.christs-hospital.org.uk/fina ... nt0708.pdf
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
KenHo
3rd Former

Post by KenHo »

Eruresto wrote:I don't know why, but I'm slightly cynical of this official parents-only forum. I hope those on here will spread the word on there!
If we get a parents forum where far more parents take part, or even just read, then it could have numerous practical benefits. For example, I live a 4 hour (6 hours on the last leave weekend!) drive away and would like to contact other people in a similar situation. I have tried contacting such people on this forum and didn't get very far.

It is possible, even likely, that certain subjects will be censored in some way, and I don't think this is a bad thing at all. This particular thread was about the new CH Forum and yet it descended quickly into a variety of other pointless subjects, even the EU (quite a leap really!). And, although I sympathise with those people having problems with the counting house, I don't want every thread to include a comment about that subject.

If the Official CH forum can be a place where more people can take part and can get real practical information from a greater number of parents, then that must be a good thing.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

KenHo wrote:
If the Official CH forum can be a place where more people can take part and can get real practical information from a greater number of parents, then that must be a good thing.
Bet it won't be half as much fun as this one; which results in part, I believe, from the great and rounded education that the OB members of this forum received. Not to mention our sense of comradeship, the absurd, our refusal to bow to bullies .........

Caroline
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

WELL PUT, CAROLINE!!!!

I suspect that there are some parents who've already had the "frighteners" put on them - they're not posting any more. We will have to carry the flag for them, yes?
Anyway, this is a great place to meander, a kind of "stream-of-consciousness" - and we're not afraid of Virginia Woolf!
8)
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

anniexf wrote:and we're not afraid of Virginia Woolf!
I am. I had to write my A2 English coursework on To The Lighthouse, which is officially the worst book ever written.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Who was it that sad...........

"Publish and be Damned" ??

Well anyway, that's me !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
ReallyMissingHer
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by ReallyMissingHer »

I'm probably going against the grain but I think having children attending CH from all walks of life, including those whose parents can afford full fees/higher fees is a good thing.

Of course I would never want it to rise to the percentages where a major stake of those attending are paying full fees but surely if those high/full feeing paying parents want their children to go to a boarding school which has customers from a broad spread of backgrounds then that says something positive about their attitudes to others and social movement?

Am I making any sense?

Will now go look at the new website page!
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

ReallyMissingHer wrote: but surely if those high/full feeing paying parents want their children to go to a boarding school which has customers from a broad spread of backgrounds then that says something positive about their attitudes to others and social movement?
That's fine in theory, but the reality would probably be rather different. You only have to read J.R.'s posts in April & August this year, on the "Are We Alone?" thread, to see what kind of parents the school actually attracts from the upper-income brackets. Bad news, I'm afraid.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

anniexf wrote:
I suspect that there are some parents who've already had the "frighteners" put on them - they're not posting any more. We will have to carry the flag for them, yes?
So, am I correct in understanding that bullies in the guise of school officials are checking posts here and censoring certain posters?

Josh, when you have time, are you willing to elaborate on the reason for your detention (now that you are free of any potential repercussions)?

I don't want to believe that this is going on, and sincerely hope that I have misconstrued what I have been reading.

If I am correct, I can only conclude that the offending parties know in their hearts that what they are reading is, for the most part, written by people who have genuine concerns, not by people who wish to undermine the school and its ethos. IMO, responding with threats and bullying is no way to treat anyone. On a good day I can view bullies with sympathy: knowing that they almost certainly have low self-esteem and that they know in their hearts that they won't feel better by subjecting others to their power and control, yet can't seem to stop their negative behaviour.

However, today is not a good day for me, having buried one of our dogs yesterday, so I am totally out of warm fuzzies to spread to anyone that I feel is behaving in a less than acceptable manner towards other human beings.

Always remember people that bad things happen when good people stand back and do nothing.

xx
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:
So, am I correct in understanding that bullies in the guise of school officials are checking posts here and censoring certain posters?

Now that really IS an interesting question.

Holding ones breath whilst waiting for an official response is NOT to be recommnded !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote: Josh, when you have time, are you willing to elaborate on the reason for your detention (now that you are free of any potential repercussions)?

I don't want to believe that this is going on, and sincerely hope that I have misconstrued what I have been reading.
You are - I was exaggerating somewhat. Though ask one of those in the anti-authority party and they'll probably say it and mean it...