Keeping warm in a housey

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:18 am
Real Name: Deb Smith (Gallant-Paffet
Location: London

Re: Keeping warm in a housey

Post by Deb GP » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:40 pm

Great Plum wrote:I rarely got cold in my housey (it was the bands flicking in my face that was the most annoying...)
Too right! Especially when they were fresh on from the laundry. I've got a couple of friends who've become church ministers and they complained bitterly about their dog collars.. until I showed them a pic of a housey and bands.

Do people still loop their scarves through the housey coat pocket holes or through the arm of the girl's jacket? Tis a habit I haven't quite got out of - but at least it makes coat retrieval swift at the end of parties when rushing for the last train home.

As a grown up, and after that time with a housey, I still can't bring myself to buy a long winter coat - no matter how cold I get. They just feel so wrong.

User avatar
CHAZ
Grecian
Posts: 915
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:15 pm
Real Name: Charles Ian Forster
Location: Luxembourg

Re: Keeping warm in a housey

Post by CHAZ » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:01 pm

Did you love to pull apart the freshly strached bands...what a special sound that was!
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984

User avatar
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:18 am
Real Name: Deb Smith (Gallant-Paffet
Location: London

Re: Keeping warm in a housey

Post by Deb GP » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Oh yes. And I had favourite pairs of bands too. Some of them were a bit flimsie and simply didn't look right.

User avatar
englishangel
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6955
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:22 pm
Real Name: Mary Faulkner (Vincett)
Location: Amersham, Buckinghamshire

Re: Keeping warm in a housey

Post by englishangel » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:22 pm

I have a lovely ankle length camel (coloured) coat which I wouldn't be without. Unfortunately I have to pick up the front when climbing steps and it used the get trapped in car doors though I now remember to wrap it round me.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"

User avatar
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian
Posts: 2612
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:01 pm
Real Name: NEILL PURDIE EVANS

Re: Keeping warm in a housey

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:41 pm

I still have a "British Warm" bought when I was still in the Army ---
You only need to buy one -- in a lifetime !!! :lol:

User avatar
jtaylor
Forum Administrator
Posts: 1646
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:32 am
Real Name: Julian Taylor-Gadd
Location: Wantage, OXON
Contact:

Re: Keeping warm in a housey

Post by jtaylor » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:21 pm

sejintenej wrote:(Incidentally you lose almost 90% of body heat through the scalp).
I read an article which observed that this was nonsense, depending on your interpretation, because of the way the test was done.

The study which demonstrated this was measuring a FULLY CLOTHED person - and demonstrated that 90% of the heat lost by the person was through the head - one of the few parts of the body which wasn't clothed, and thus very logical! Most of the remaining 10% was lost from the hands, and I guess a little through the clothes.

If the person was naked, this would provide a sensible % to go on - but as it is, it's simply a statement of the obvious!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Image
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
http://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest