Swine flu - school closing for a week

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

Jo
Button Grecian

Re: Swine flu - school closing for a week

Post by Jo »

And another thought about a wheelchair - I remember reading once about someone who had become a wheelchair user. She said she hated being described as "confined to a wheelchair" because as far as she was concerned, she was "confined" before - to her house, to a limited range of activities etc. She saw a wheelchair as something that did exactly the opposite - gave her the freedom to do things she wouldn't be able to do otherwise - an enabler rather than something restrictive, in other words. I thought that was a wonderfully positive attitude. Maybe if Louise saw it in that light she might consider it?
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Jo wrote:
huggermugger wrote:am I the only one who is left with an incredibly irritating cough that just won't go away???[/color]
No, we've both got it too :(
Us too :twisted:

I don't know for sure that it was swine flu we had BUT a girl who I sit with at work was off just before me and last week was asked if she would mind being swabbed as apparently they are randomly swabbing people who have been given tamiflu. Anyway - turns out she did have swine flu so it seems likely that that is what we all had although I guess we will never know for sure.

Hoping Louise is well enough to go back to school - I have fond memories of CH at Christmas time - it would be a shame for her to miss out on all that.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Yes I agree about Louise not needing to be afraid to ask for help to get around the Horsham campus. Technically the school ought to be set up to meet all requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act, but one never sees pupils in wheelchairs, or buggys, or things like that. I've seen maybe the odd crutch for someone who has broken a limb playing sport. In legal terms, I'm sure that the Infirmary must have aids for children who cannot negotiate the distances or march into Dining Hall, for whatever reason. I am sorry that Michelle must now make some enquiries (and might have to argue...) to enable poor Louise to get back to school for a few hours' pleasure this week. Go for it!
And as a caring and inclusive institution, one would hope that the school would do all it could to enable Louise to attend the Christmas lunch.
I have a great deal of sympathy with this, as during the last several months my own mobility (and yes I know I am an aged Old Blue!) has become so bad that I could not contemplate going to Housey again without my walking aid, and that is faintly embarrassing for someone who all those years ago was renowned for sporting ability!
I really, really, hope that Louise can get to the Christmas lunch, without excessive physical endeavour - given her circumstances - and that she enjoys it!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Failing the school Health Centre, try your local Red Cross ......... but first you will need to get Louise to consent to the idea!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Sorry to hear that you are slowing up Kerren. I hope you will stiil be able to get to the Carol Concert. On the subject of the Disability Discrimination Act, the weekend that the Act came into force my friend and I were visiting Shrewsbury. She was new to using a mobility scooter and Salisbury is not exactly the most accessible of places, with lots of cobbles, steep hills and narrow pavements. It was a real eye opener! I spent quite some time haranguing people for not complying with the new Act - they had after all had several years warning - market stalls blocking dropped kerbs, entrance and exit to lifts blocked by advertising 'easels', even toilets for the disabled situated down a flight of steps! All to the embarassment of my friend, who just took the whole thing in her stride (not sure that is the right expression, either!). The silliest thing of all was that the Shopmobility scheme was situated in a car park with no suitable crossing place through a stream of heavy traffic. Why is it that Shopmobility always assume that if you are disabled you must drive a car? Neither my friend or I are drivers. She was still mobile enough to travel to Shrewsbury by train and taxi, but by the end of a day's sightseeing it was a real struggle to get back to return the hired scooter and then back on foot to our B & B. And we, the general public, can be very thoughtless too - apparently assuming that if they walk straight at the front of the scooter it will somehow move sideways out of their way - I remember having the same problem with a pram in the days before buggies with those manoevreable wheels. OK - rant over!

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

No worries, Frances. I aim to be there on 17th - judicious choice of overground railways changing from home to City Thameslink, then taxi to St. Andrews. Let's hope I can get a taxi back afterwards, to start the journey home again. I now use an electric buggy to get around at work (put it off for several years after the University bought it for me when I broke my hip) but having had more problems this year, have had to cave in. And I have to use a walking aid to get around inside the house. From rest/sleep, I cannot manage a single step without support, but during the day, provided all is moving comfortably, I can manage 40-50 shuffling steps without support. What it is to get old and decrepit!
But this thread is now about Louise managing to get to and get around the campus at Horsham this week - in a situation which is hopefully temporary (not like mine). I really hope that she can make it .. fingers crossed.
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Thanks for your help and advice everyone. I've just told Louise the suggestion of a wheelchair, and she said 'mum, everyone will think I've lost the use of my legs!', so I take it that's a no then :lol: Actually, I'm sure she'll be okay anyway - apparently there is no marching on Friday, so that's one less obstacle, and they only have four lessons that day, the first two of which are PE for Louise, which obviously she won't be doing so she will be able to rest then.

The Head of Year has been very caring, and rang me on a few occasions while Louise was in hospital to enquire how she was doing (and she had a Get Well Card from Mr Franklin :D ), so I have absolutely no concerns at all that Louise will be well looked after while she is there. In fact, I've been told that if there's anything she needs just to let them know - the school really couldn't have been more helpful! They have been very supportive of Louise's situation, and are aware that it is an exciting time of year for the kids and they don't want her to miss out either. Louise knows that she must rest as much as possible when she can to get her energy back for the next leg of her journey throughout the day, and I think I've got the dinner queue dilemma sorted now, having had some advice from Barnes Mum. So, all in all, I'm a little bit more relaxed about her going back now, and she definitely can't wait. Luckily she has her sister in Barnes with her, so she will have a 'helper' (albeit probably a fairly reluctant one) if she needs anything from her room, which is on the second floor. And if she needs to sit down for a few minutes to rest while walking, and happens to be late for a lesson or two, well I'm sure nobody will complain!

I know that the house staff will take good care of her for me and they'll let me know if they have any concerns at all. So, as Kerren said, I'm keeping my fingers crossed! :D
lonelymom :rolleyes:
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

I forgot to say that when Barnes Mum came to visit the second time, not only did she bring Kedi with her ( :D :D :D ), but she also brought a present that the Barnes housemistress had bought for Louise. It is a cuddly sheep, complete with house colour ribbons rounds his neck, and a large tag attached telling her that she is not to worry about school work, that the sheep is called Baaaarnes, and he is Barnes Mascot, and his job is to make sure that she gets better quickly. She also brought cards that the girls in Barnes had made, and cards from the girls in her own house. Barnes Mum also bought Louise a cuddly Westie dog from Harrods (which impressed Louise lots!) and one of the Barnes matrons had sent a small guardian angel teddy in her card which we propped up on her locker so it was always watching over her. So I think it's fairly safe to say that Louise was in their thoughts of a fair few people at CH :)
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

And while Louise is at school, make sure that you get lots of rest yourself, ready for the Christmas 'rush'. I have a feeling that when you leave her there you will cry - a bit like watching your child disappear on their first ever day at school - we've all done that!

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

lonelymom wrote:Thanks for your help and advice everyone. I've just told Louise the suggestion of a wheelchair, and she said 'mum, everyone will think I've lost the use of my legs!', so I take it that's a no then :lol: Actually, I'm sure she'll be okay anyway - apparently there is no marching on Friday, so that's one less obstacle, and they only have four lessons that day, the first two of which are PE for Louise, which obviously she won't be doing so she will be able to rest then.

The Head of Year has been very caring, and rang me on a few occasions while Louise was in hospital to enquire how she was doing (and she had a Get Well Card from Mr Franklin :D ), so I have absolutely no concerns at all that Louise will be well looked after while she is there. In fact, I've been told that if there's anything she needs just to let them know - the school really couldn't have been more helpful! They have been very supportive of Louise's situation, and are aware that it is an exciting time of year for the kids and they don't want her to miss out either. Louise knows that she must rest as much as possible when she can to get her energy back for the next leg of her journey throughout the day, and I think I've got the dinner queue dilemma sorted now, having had some advice from Barnes Mum. So, all in all, I'm a little bit more relaxed about her going back now, and she definitely can't wait. Luckily she has her sister in Barnes with her, so she will have a 'helper' (albeit probably a fairly reluctant one) if she needs anything from her room, which is on the second floor. And if she needs to sit down for a few minutes to rest while walking, and happens to be late for a lesson or two, well I'm sure nobody will complain!

I know that the house staff will take good care of her for me and they'll let me know if they have any concerns at all. So, as Kerren said, I'm keeping my fingers crossed! :D
I have found, both with my siblings, and with my offspring, that there is no-one crueller than a sibling if there is an argument, and no-one more supportive than a sibling in times of trouble.

My younger brother and sister are 13 months apart and they fought to the extent of shedding blood. At bout five and six my Mum gave them thrre pence (3d) each to go and get some sweets, my sister was tossing hers in the air as they crossed the playing field and dropped it, after several minutes of crawling around looking for it Philip put his arm round Sarah's shoulder and they walked off together toward the shop. Then when she was 18 and had just passed her driving test she staggered into the house having skidded on black ice and ended up in a ditch, fortunately undamaged and close to home. Philip thought she had been attacked and was out the door shouting "who was it? I'll get him."
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

englishangel wrote: At about five and six my Mum gave them three pence (3d) each to go and get some sweets, my sister was tossing hers in the air as they crossed the playing field and dropped it, after several minutes of crawling around looking for it Philip put his arm round Sarah's shoulder and they walked off together toward the shop.
Funnily enough, the same thing happened to me and my little sis, and I reacted the same way.

Of course, I'd already found the threepenny bit and pocketed it... :twisted: :lol:
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Fjgrogan wrote:I have a feeling that when you leave her there you will cry - a bit like watching your child disappear on their first ever day at school - we've all done that!
You obviously know me too well! Of course, I'll try to keep it together until I get in the car and drive away :cry:
englishangel wrote:I have found, both with my siblings, and with my offspring, that there is no-one crueller than a sibling if there is an argument, and no-one more supportive than a sibling in times of trouble.
Yes, that's them, best friends/worst enemies! :?
Ajarn Philip wrote:Of course, I'd already found the threepenny bit and pocketed it... :twisted: :lol:
Philip, that is so, so funny! You really made me laugh!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

lonelymom wrote:Thanks for your help and advice everyone. I've just told Louise the suggestion of a wheelchair, and she said 'mum, everyone will think I've lost the use of my legs!', so I take it that's a no then :lol: Actually, I'm sure she'll be okay anyway - apparently there is no marching on Friday, so that's one less obstacle, and they only have four lessons that day, the first two of which are PE for Louise, which obviously she won't be doing so she will be able to rest then.
Remind her that if she broke an arm she would have to have it in a cast and sling. If she broke a leg she would have it in a cast and possibly use a wheelchair. So, she is a bit weak from her illness - her friends will support her and she will know those who mock her to be "not nice".

I hope enough people now know what she has been through - she got lots of cards when she was in hospital - so any enquiries will be supportive along the lines of "how can we help you?" Don't worry about it, Louise - go and enjoy yoursself but don't overtire yourself and DO accept help when necessary.

Enjoy

David
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Michele.. you must let us know, please, how Louise gets on for her short return to school? We are all concerned about her but recognise that the school itself, her peer group, house and academic staff are all being hugely supportive so let's hope she ends the term with a happy smile on her face and some good memories of the last few days (apart from the cuddly toys!). And please do take the advice that you should use the respite to gather your own energies again! By return to school in January, let's hope that her predicament this term will be a distant memory (though I recognise that the return to full fitness for swimming may take a tad longer. Fingers crossed for her - and actually the two of you are still on a number of prayer lists with which I am connected.)
Kerren Simmonds
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Thanks Kerren :D And I'll definitely let you know how she gets on. I was planning on doing some Christmas shopping while she was back at CH, but actually, I think I may just sleep for 24 hours :)