End of term packing

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: End of term packing

Post by englishangel »

I am with you Caroline. My oldest is actually the worst at calling at at dreadful hours, but it is lack of planning rather than anything else.

I am only just now finding out some of the heart-stopping things my offspring did when younger.

We had a flasher too, a slightly 'challenged' boy a few years older than I was. If we laughed (which we did) he would burst into tears.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I'm another for blaming mobile phones! I notice it particularly in the youngsters who come to us for part of their DofE, Gold. When I did the equivalent, or the expedition, I told my parents the day I expected to get home and that was it! The bus from the nearest railway station ran to the village most hours so it couldn't be more than a 2 hour wait, what was that if you had a book with you? Now - without exception they are in touch several times a day.

Hmmm - do you think it is now safe to tell Mother that there was a raging hepatitis epidemic when I reached my VSO post in September 1969 and I hadn't had my jab as it got lost in the post?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

Angela Woodford wrote: I must also admit to loving the Great Smog of... was it 1962? We groped our way to and from school in near-invisibility. "Oh look, I think I recognise this lamp post!" I'm ashamed to say that I was not sensitive to those who suffered with respiritory difficulties, for

it was fun!
I remember that last pea souper. It was only time I remember my mother collecting me from primary school, normally I walked home on my own. Because of the fog, the younger children weren't allowed to leave school, but had to sit in the hall and wait to be collected. There was no way of contacting parents, but most turned up eventually. By the time Mum arrived there were only a few of us left, so she took them all, and we trekked round the gloomy streets delivering them all home. Ordinary places seemed so exciting in the reduced visibility.

Telling the story now, I am surprised that the 9 and 10 year olds were allowed home on their own in the fog.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

englishangel wrote:I am with you Caroline. My oldest is actually the worst at calling at at dreadful hours, but it is lack of planning rather than anything else.

I am only just now finding out some of the heart-stopping things my offspring did when younger.

We had a flasher too, a slightly 'challenged' boy a few years older than I was. If we laughed (which we did) he would burst into tears.
My mother admits to me that her mother would have had a fit if she'd known some of the things my mother did when she was young :shock:. And yet she worried about me, and I didn't tell her quite a lot. So I suppose it was ever thus :)
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:
I doubt that there are any more murderers or paedophiles living now than there were back then, and have a theory that we are more aware of them courtesy of the gutter press and commercial TV channels who, for whatever reason, like to suck us into fear by sensationalising everything they can.

I am grateful for my Nan (and Miss Mercer, or was it Morrison?) who would regularly exclaim that 'there's no such word as can't' and encourage me to pull my wits together and get on with whatever I needed to deal with.

Merry Christmas everyone.

xx
I agree entirely and it has been my rant for ages that the world was always thus, we just know about it now.
Hence the expression "Ignorance is Bliss".
I still feel that Common Sense is far better than a seemingly endless parade of petty rules and regulations, which impede the thought process.
I thought that the absence of the word "Can't" was both generational and CH taught. At least the present generation still has CH and OB parents.
Rant over and Happy Xmas to all.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Angela ---
Your description of the "Flasher of Tooting Bec" reminded me of the problems, which the British women had in Egypt, when we were having "Problems" there
The local men would lift their Galabehas (Long dresses) to expose all and to insult the Ladies. :oops:

Hearing of this, the wife of the General Commanding, enquired of a Translator the Arabic for a certain phrase ------ and circulated it among the Army Wives.

The practice immediately ceased .

The phrase was ----- "IS THAT ALL ?" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Oh NEILL! :lol: How funny. Love it.

It must have taken quick skilful work to hoick up a galabeha though? The Tooting Bec Flasher needed a spare hand to make that flourishing gesture!

One hand to unzip, one hand with which to wave the... member, as I remember it. Strange, I don't feel very traumatised. :roll: Do you, Caroline?
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:
Jo wrote:

I doubt that there are any more murderers or paedophiles living now than there were back then, and have a theory that we are more aware of them courtesy of the gutter press and commercial TV channels who, for whatever reason, like to suck us into fear by sensationalising everything they can.

xx

I've always thought that too. I live in a small town here in the US, where many of the year-round residents (we are a seaside vacation spot) know each other etc. Our town has been rocked over the past ten days by the news that one of the local pediatricians has been molesting toddlers - more than a hundred!! It is bad enough that there are unforeseeable dangers - but, a PEDIATRICIAN for heavens's sake!!!!! I realize everyone is innocent until proven guilty, but there seems to be incontrovertible proof in the form of video from handheld cameras etc. Scary.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

You may not have heard Kim, here in England three people (2 women and a man) have just been jailed for sharing pictures of one of the women molesting little ones at the daycare she ran. And another case has just come to light.

We do seem to have wandered rather off track here.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:You may not have heard Kim, here in England three people (2 women and a man) have just been jailed for sharing pictures of one of the women molesting little ones at the daycare she ran. And another case has just come to light.

We do seem to have wandered rather off track here.

Such a shame there now seems to be a shortage of rope in this country !

:axe:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

and THIS country
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

As a good Liberal I deplore Capital Punishment ----
However, for the real "Nasties" --- I think that "LIFE" -- should mean just that !!
KenHo
3rd Former

Post by KenHo »

J.R. wrote:

What.for end of term packing purposes?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

KenHo wrote:
J.R. wrote:

What.for end of term packing purposes?

Somewhat similar.

End of life packing !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:As a good Liberal I deplore Capital Punishment ----
However, for the real "Nasties" --- I think that "LIFE" -- should mean just that !!
AND solitary confinement, but they'll get that anyway.