End of term packing

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: End of term packing

Post by Katharine »

Yes I had a brown Globetrotter case. It was the only one in the shop that fitted the dimensions listed by CH, my parents couldn't really afford it but wanted everything just right for me. The salesman said that I would be using it for my honeymoon and long after - I did too! It went as air freight many a time, can't think how many miles it must have travelled!

My brother painted my initials on it before I started at CH so for much of its life it has had the wrong third initial!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

My father took me to the shop at Charing Cross (I think) where items that had been unclaimed from trains were sold & we got a perfectly serviceable 26" (as stipulated in the LIST) suitcase there. I used it for uni., then my mother stored clothes in it. When she died, my brother and I found not only old newspaper cuttings about my elopement in 1963, but also the fan-pics I'd stuck to the inside of the lid! (Cringe....) :oops:
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

anniexf wrote:My father took me to the shop at Charing Cross (I think) where items that had been unclaimed from trains were sold & we got a perfectly serviceable 26" (as stipulated in the LIST) suitcase there. I used it for uni., then my mother stored clothes in it. When she died, my brother and I found not only old newspaper cuttings about my elopement in 1963, but also the fan-pics I'd stuck to the inside of the lid! (Cringe....) :oops:
It sounds like there's a story there...... tell us more !! :)
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Jo wrote:
It sounds like there's a story there...... tell us more !! :)
You'd really have to twist my arm - it's all very embarrassing :oops:
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Twisting... twisting... (but not the night away) twisting your arm, Ann! Please tell? :D
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

anniexf wrote:My father took me to the shop at Charing Cross (I think) where items that had been unclaimed from trains were sold & we got a perfectly serviceable 26" (as stipulated in the LIST) suitcase there.
Somehow I got hold of and used a thick leather trunk. The stickers indicated trips to China, to India and elsewhere. I couldn't even life the thing. !
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
ReallyMissingHer
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by ReallyMissingHer »

I'm twisting your arm too Ann

Give us the gossip!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

ReallyMissingHer wrote:I'm twisting your arm too Ann

Give us the gossip!
moi, also
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Consider your arm well and truly twisted!
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Oh dear. Should I start a new thread, e.g. Daft things I did in my youth, or The luxury of hindsight? :oops: :oops:
Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

Come on Ann, we could all do with a good story. Pleeeeease! :)
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

anniexf wrote:Oh dear. Should I start a new thread, e.g. Daft things I did in my youth, or The luxury of hindsight? :oops: :oops:
That sounds like an excellent idea. I'm sure we could all contribute....... but you need to start us off :D :D
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

anniexf wrote:Oh dear. Should I start a new thread, e.g. Daft things I did in my youth, or The luxury of hindsight? :oops: :oops:
Just realise that it was one of many experiences which rounded you out as a person. You wouldn't be the anniexf we all know if you hadn't done it.
It was a lesson you might or might not repeat!!!
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Before the anxiosly- awaited Anniext Saga --
I have an Iron-Bound Trunk, emblazond with both my Uncle's Insignia and rank, and mine.
It weighs about a hundredweight EMPTY, and was designed to travel the World, with it's contents in safety.

A cargo net -- unloading from a Troopship in Tripoli -- broke, and everyones belongings were strewn along the Quayside, and into the Harbour.

This Trunk -- constructed of Teak, landed on one corner -- and thumped flat with the only damage -- visible to this day-- of a dented iron corner -- I TRIED not to look smug ! :lol:
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

Hi Jade -

Yes, I was a bit astonished too tho at least it provides a way to keep track of stuff - if I didn't get the chance to audit everyhting three times a year I'm sure most of it would be wrecked/lost!

Could you try to find a nearby parent/family with whom you could share a lift in return for a contribution to the petrol? You could ask here or on the "other" parents forum..? I come from the Newbury area if that helps....