Deputy Grecian 2010

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

TAH-M
2nd Former

Deputy Grecian 2010

Post by TAH-M »

DD had the "big envelope" to our huge surprise and wonders if there are any other future newbie sixth formers for September lurking on the forum as she would love to "chat" or "facebook" or generally make contact........

Watch out for me too as there are likely to be three million questions over the next nine months! :D
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Deputy Grecian 2010

Post by englishangel »

Welcome, welcome, every time we think all the questions have been answered a new one pops up.

We shall do our best to answer yours.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Congrats ----- Still the Best School in the World !!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Congrats ----- Still the Best School in the World !!
Repeated.............. but only 3 million questions? Of course most of those have already been asked here so you will have fun looking through the past posts.

David
TAH-M
2nd Former

Post by TAH-M »

Well we have waded through the snow here in the Midlands and the acceptance letter has been posted.

Now Madam gets some revision done for her GCSE's (hopefully) and I start wondering how much sports kit we are going to need for the Grecians and whether there is anything I ought to be buying in the sales now ready for September ??
onewestguncopse
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by onewestguncopse »

You will be sent a long list of kit you need. Most is branded and needs to be bought through the school. Hold fire for the time being! :) I teach here by the way!
TAH-M
2nd Former

Post by TAH-M »

Thanks for that - any idea approx when in the year kit lists are sent out ?

I've bought some bedlinen and towels in the sale for her as gather she needs that . Transportation is going to be fun as we are reliant on public transport (with around five changes) and will already be loaded down with her usual music paraphenalia !! Getting to and from home at the beginning and end of term is one of my concerns at the moment

Do kit lists include book lists/revision guides etc??

Thanks
Trudie
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

As I said about end-of-term packing, why not try and find someone who lives near you who has a car.
Or someone who doesn't and rent one together, might be cheaper than public transport.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

Good luck, amazing! I was a New Dep....10 years ago now! My god I feel old!! But it'll be a great experience. Hope your midlands snow has gone a bit, central birmingham seems to be a bit better now!
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
onewestguncopse
GE (Great Erasmus)

TAH-M wrote:Thanks for that - any idea approx when in the year kit lists are sent out ?

I've bought some bedlinen and towels in the sale for her as gather she needs that . Transportation is going to be fun as we are reliant on public transport (with around five changes) and will already be loaded down with her usual music paraphenalia !! Getting to and from home at the beginning and end of term is one of my concerns at the moment

Do kit lists include book lists/revision guides etc??

Thanks
Trudie
The list should be with you soon. To be honest I think that you will need to hire a car or share transport at the beginning and end of term. The amount of stuff they have is huge!. The new Deps pick up book lists etc when they come for induction in June. In the meantime, work hard at the GCSEs!

I hear that the minimum number of passes we want at GCSE now is 6 As. Not sure if this affects you or applies only to new applicants post September 2010.
TAH-M
2nd Former

Post by TAH-M »

I am unable to drive on medical grounds - hence my concerns about transporting everything on train/bus/tube a couple of hundred miles and across London - but fortunately one parent has made contact through the forum (thanks!!) and I'm beginning to panic a little less about it all though I may have still to do some grovelling at CH in order that her entire life doesn't have to move with her every term.

Yes her offer is 6 A's for 2010 - so some work to be done over the next few months.......
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Congrats to your DD - she will love it! I think this counts as our first new-dep poster of the year (though none of last year's two(?) got in) - so as a recent OB I'll answer any pupilly questions you may have (am trying to persuade some of our current pupil members to get back into the swing of this, though, as I'm getting a bit past it!)
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
TAH-M
2nd Former

Post by TAH-M »

Thanks for replying Eruresto

Have been asked to ask the following questions;

Is there much difference in the daily timetable for Grecians to the rest of the school?
How many/how long are lessons?

DD has a birthday in a few weeks, and was planning on asking for some specific presents to support her change (GCSE's permitting) to CH in Sept. Any specific suggestions of items useful to a first-time boarder??

She is worried about your quote "none of last years's two got in" - was that down to GCSE results do you know?

Thanks
onewestguncopse
GE (Great Erasmus)

TAH-M wrote:Thanks for replying Eruresto

Have been asked to ask the following questions;

Is there much difference in the daily timetable for Grecians to the rest of the school?
How many/how long are lessons?

DD has a birthday in a few weeks, and was planning on asking for some specific presents to support her change (GCSE's permitting) to CH in Sept. Any specific suggestions of items useful to a first-time boarder??

She is worried about your quote "none of last years's two got in" - was that down to GCSE results do you know?

Thanks

In answer to your questions - the Deps have 4 AS levels and Grecians 3 A2s - Each has 8 periods of 35 mins (most are doubles). In addition you have various additional lessons for PE/Minorities ....

Can't help with the birthday but many Deps have a personal laptop now - not by any means obligatory but useful. Does not need to be top of the range - just something that can print work. A decent second hand one would be fine. That may be too expensive of course.

As to the last question, i guess that they either did not get the grades (GCSE that is) or got cold feet or the parents did not like the fees they were asked to pay!
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

OWGC has answered this brilliantly: what I would add is on the front boarding "must-haves", for me the list included:

A ready supply of the most basic pens you can get. I typed all my work for a long time, but most people still hand-write. Pens are quicker at vanishing than half-pairs of socks at CH, so unless DD is very good with stationery (I most certainly am not!) basics in the billions are the way forward. (That said, often pens fell out of pockets etc onto the ground, and are then fair game for a quick eye.)

I say "included"; this is the only thing I can think of at the moment! :oops: When my brain returns from holiday I'll see what else I come up with.
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9