Does anybody know when the results will be posted after the

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

midget
Button Grecian

Re: Does anybody know when the results will be posted after the

Post by midget »

DR certainly never made me feel like a a2swan"!!!
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I don't think I invented the name DR's Swans, but agreed that I would probably have been seen as one by others.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
wickedwitch
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by wickedwitch »

DD on waiting list. i'm usually such a placid person but i feel sick. i wish we knew one way or the other!
wide awake on the edge of the world
bosty94
2nd Former

Post by bosty94 »

Hi, I'm new to this forum. My daughter has also been placed on the waiting list. I know how you feel, it never occured to me that this might still not be over by this weekend. Also consider myself pretty calm, but I really do feel sick. Apparently there are 12 children on the waiting list. The order of these children to get places if and when vacanices arise is decided based on the need to board only. They couldn't tell me where we would be, or are, on that list. Numbers of people not accepting places has varied in previous years from 0 to 6. People who accept a place and then don't take it will be fined a term's fee, and the deadline for this is April 19th - I think they said 19th, not sure. But they are asked to let them know about a month earlier. So I am reckoning we won't know until April 19th. If anyone knows any more on chances of still getting a place when you are on the waiting list, it would be lovely to hear. Congratulations to all those families who have been offered a place, and I'm sorry for those have not. And..Good luck to those still in limbo.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

The more I hear about the "System" at Hertford, the more I am horrified -- I suspect there must have been some pretty awful psychiatric conditions among the Staff.

There may also have been some at Horsham --- but of course we couldn't spell it !
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:The more I hear about the "System" at Hertford, the more I am horrified -- I suspect there must have been some pretty awful psychiatric conditions among the Staff.

There may also have been some at Horsham --- but of course we couldn't spell it !

This could get interesting, Neill ! The words 'worms' and 'can' spring to mind.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
wickedwitch
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by wickedwitch »

Thanks for the info Bosty - saves me a phone call to the office! Good luck xx
wide awake on the edge of the world
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

J.R. wrote:

This could get interesting, Neill ! The words 'worms' and 'can' spring to mind.
...but J.R., didn't you say on another thread "de mortuis nil nisi bonum" ???
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I don't speak Latin, it's a dead language and I only survived one term of trying to learn it at CH, so highly unlikely to have been me.
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

J.R. wrote:I don't speak Latin, it's a dead language and I only survived one term of trying to learn it at CH, so highly unlikely to have been me.
I'm not sure I deserved such a curt put-down, but point taken: I shall withdraw from this Forum.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

have 'searched' for this, and it does not appear anywhere on the forum
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

anniexf wrote:
J.R. wrote:I don't speak Latin, it's a dead language and I only survived one term of trying to learn it at CH, so highly unlikely to have been me.
I'm not sure I deserved such a curt put-down, but point taken: I shall withdraw from this Forum.
Annie,

I'm sure from nearly 5 years of reading his posts that JR did not intend "a curt put-down" it is simply his direct style of writing.

I for one enjoy your contributions so hope you will reconsider.

SE Londoners, exiled or not, are made of sterner stuff! :)
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mid A 15 wrote:
anniexf wrote:
Annie,

I'm sure from nearly 5 years of reading his posts that JR did not intend "a curt put-down" it is simply his direct style of writing.

I for one enjoy your contributions so hope you will reconsider.

SE Londoners, exiled or not, are made of sterner stuff! :)

It's called a football sense of humour. To be involved in the grass-roots, (if you'll pardon the expression), of running a football club, one must be extremely thick skinned and expect some very sharp witty comments.

I intended absolutely NO put-down. If I have hurt feelings, I truly apologise.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Annie,

You could have argued that Latin is not a dead language on the grounds that Ladin remains spoken in and is, I think, one of the official languages of Switzerland.

There are opposing schools of thought about the need to learn Latin elsewhere. I think I survived two whole years of it and no way could I have composed "de mortuis nil nisi bonum" and I certainly don't understand it.
Needing to know several so-called Latin languages I cannot think in what way Latin would have helped me learn any one of them. . Never have I heard the concepts of nominative, vocative, accusative, dative, ablative and {whatever it was} since latin classes though I have heard that Sami and Finnish have 19 and 13 (or vice versa) equivalents; I have great difficulties with the difference between pre-nouns and pro-verbs so is the distinction of any real-life difference? As for the names of the tenses ......... 'nuff said.

If such is not your school of thought, then please allow us our opinions even if you don't agree with us. This is a miniscule mote in the vast midst of what is the unofficial forum so don't let JR (and I) force you out; are we worth the hassle (keep quiet, JR :shock: )?

Like everyone else you are fully at liberty to argue the case for or against latin; hopefully others here are as willing as me to read opinions different from our own.

David
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

OK, I'm down off my high horse now & I've picked up my dummy .. tantrum over. I couldn't keep away from the Forum anyway. It wasn't about Latin per se (sorry!), rather that J.R. had said on another thread that he didn't approve of posts that mocked the dead (Sir Harry Secombe, specifically), but he seemed to be okay-ing our potential speculation about psychiatric cases among the Hertford staff, many of whom would undoubtedly be dead. So I said, in Latin ( some of which stuck, courtesy of Queenie Blench), "say nothing about the dead unless it's good".
That'll teach me to show off ... :oops: