Day Pupils - announcement pending

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

Momto2
Deputy Grecian

Re: Day Pupils - announcement pending

Post by Momto2 »

It is my understanding (and this is second hand from my child who was at the HM's announcement this morning) that for every 7 new pupils there will be one full fee payer and one day pupil from the 2nd form upwards. The day pupils will be expected to be in school from 8am until fairly late into the evening. I was told more but have instantly forgotten the info so hopefully someone else will be along to clarify things.
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

As well as the 7 boarders or included in the 7? Anyone know?
Jade
3rd Former

Post by Jade »

I wonder when this will be put into action? Will current boarders be aloud to become day students? Weekly boarding would be ideal for me, I doubt it will be an option though.
Jade
Momto2
Deputy Grecian

Post by Momto2 »

As far as I could make out, these pupils will be included in the 7 and it's taking effect from September!

I don't think weekly boarding would be an option at all as the day pupils will still have to be back for Saturday school and presumably compulsory Chapel on a Sunday - hardly worth the effort of being a day pupil really!
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Maybe I've missed something here, but where are these day pupils going to come from? I don't mean geographically (even I can work that one out!), but in terms of entry for this coming September - won't most families looking for an independent day school already have secured a place for their child elsewhere?
bosty94
2nd Former

Post by bosty94 »

ailurophile - so glad you said that, I was beginning to think I was missing something too as I just don't see how pupils can be found at this stage. Besides, the places for year 7 (is it called something different at CH?) have already been filled.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

bosty94 wrote:Besides, the places for year 7 (is it called something different at CH?) have already been filled.
Year 7 is called Second Form :D
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Momto2
Deputy Grecian

Post by Momto2 »

... apparently no compulsory Sunday Chapel for the day pupils!
Sussex
2nd Former

Post by Sussex »

and do all these day pupils have to pay full fees ?
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

bosty94 wrote:ailurophile - so glad you said that, I was beginning to think I was missing something too as I just don't see how pupils can be found at this stage. Besides, the places for year 7 (is it called something different at CH?) have already been filled.
What's the betting that, quietly & behind the scenes, these places have already been offered - and accepted?
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

It can't be from this Sept, surely? Doesn't make sense. Unless they are hoping to mop up children who have missed out on their choice of state / independent locally. Brighton will probably be a rich picking ground as they use lotteries, I think, for allocating state places, and they could come by train, I suppose.
Jade
3rd Former

Post by Jade »

So not just anyone can be become a day pupil? That seems a little unfair. I'm very confused by all this information, of lack of it. :?
Jade
Sussex
2nd Former

Post by Sussex »

I join you on the confused! Perhaps the Headmaster is going to send out a letter, or some of the pupils may know more.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

My second former doesn't seem to know any more. The message he has taken away from the announcement is that fees are going up and he phoned me worried that I was going to have to pay higher fees that I can't afford and that he would have to leave.
LJG
3rd Former

Post by LJG »

I have heard there will be 1 full fee payer per year per house, and 1 day pupil per joint house.
If they need the money they need it but that is 100 pupils from needy backgrounds who won't have a place. Perhaps if we had all been willing to give that little bit more, rather than try to pay as little as possible the school might be in a different place.