Umm - and another thing...

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

gma
Grecian

Re: Umm - and another thing...

Post by gma »

Hope it's all settling down nicely, if it helps I was happier, and more successful, when I left, however ignoble my departure! :lol: :lol:

BTW happy birthday!! :wine:
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

yes, 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!' :wine: (hope you're enjoying your fortnum and mason's hamper, lol :wink: ) xx
lonelymom :rolleyes:
2nd Former

Post by 007 »

Not everyone loves the place ( reading what is written here makes that hard to believe). So it's better to start afresh in the real world. Best of luck.
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

Good luck! Hope it proves to be the best decision for you all.
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

007 wrote:Not everyone loves the place ( reading what is written here makes that hard to believe). So it's better to start afresh in the real world. Best of luck.
Blimey - secret agents went there (or live there??) as well...

Welcome and thank you for that.
Last edited by huggermugger on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

Bless you all...

Birthday spent in the Brecon Beacons and yes, we did enjoy the hamper which had a pleasing bias to cake, tea and chocolate. How did they know??

DS spent the last three days of term at his preferred school and has to date encountered much kindness from many, not least from the other children. He has rediscovered old friends (one boy kept repeating - "I was at pre-school with him!") and been treated well by all. However, he is a bit astonished by the fact that pupils don't stay in their seats, often don't do the work that is set (in some cases preferring to play on mobile phones instead) and regularly get sent out of the room for poor behaviour. Bit of a culture shock to say the least.

We have chosen options which were blocked in such a way that it was impossible to do a foreign language with a humanity. Neither are compulsory, which I think is appalling, but totally normal.

Very mixed feelings... I do want him to be happy but not at any cost. Being a parent is just one long balancing act!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Great news HM !

I trust you were well looked after by any trainee S.A.S guys you encountered on the Becon Beacons !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:Great news HM !

I trust you were well looked after by any trainee S.A.S guys you encountered on the Becon Beacons !

Yeugh. Memories of a training course on the Breckon Beacon tops in Feb about 1989 when it was cold enough to freeze (whatever you don't want frozen). Midnight, in a tent, with the wind howling and the snow pushing the tent sides in. Muggins starts to feel a bit warm. The damp seeped out through an inner sleeping bag, then a 4 season bag, then an outer survival sac until it puddled on the groundsheet and you should smell it from 100 paces. Muggins had a malaria attack and had forgotten to take emergency pills :( :(
Nasty - I was off work for 3 weeks.

At least HM and DS had some home comforts!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Military "Exercises" ------- the Winter of February 1946, saw me stripped of everything except underwear, dressed in canvas jacket,trousers and boots and socks.

We were told we were "Escaped Prisoners" and turned out on Dartmoor, to fend for ourselves, and get to a Map reference, where we would get another --- and so on, for a WEEk ! :shock: :shock: :shock:

This was the Artist's Rifles' idea of "Fun" ----- those who didn't survive, or were re-captured, were returned to their Units,--- as unfit for "Special Duties" ! :oops:

I survived === by being quite a good Poacher, and knowing what was edible in the countryside !!!

I hasten to add that none of this was in the CH Curriculum ====== but Wartime country lads learn these things !!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Military "Exercises" ------- the Winter of February 1946, saw me stripped of everything except underwear, dressed in canvas jacket,trousers and boots and socks.

We were told we were "Escaped Prisoners" and turned out on Dartmoor, to fend for ourselves, and get to a Map reference, where we would get another --- and so on, for a WEEk ! :shock: :shock: :shock:

This was the Artist's Rifles' idea of "Fun" ----- those who didn't survive, or were re-captured, were returned to their Units,--- as unfit for "Special Duties" ! :oops:

I survived === by being quite a good Poacher, and knowing what was edible in the countryside !!!
I hasten to add that none of this was in the CH Curriculum ====== but Wartime country lads learn these things !!

I an very reliably informed that the only living, moving thing Special Services are trained NEVER to eat, are rats.

Something to do with disease, my 'secret-squirrel' tells me.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

what secret squirrel? it is all in the 1962 book King Rat by James Clavell.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:what secret squirrel? it is all in the 1962 book King Rat by James Clavell.

Ho=Ho. Great film and book.

No real secret - One of my cousins. Military man for 21 years.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I shall get into trouble AGAIN -----Hedgehogs (Not in February !) Squirrels, most Birds (cunning trap -- 3 bricks -- 1 balnced with fork stick ! ) and the, ever available, snared Rabbit.
I believe the "Statute of Limitations" excuses me from roosting Pheasants, tickled Trout etc . ! :oops:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I shall get into trouble AGAIN -----Hedgehogs (Not in February !) Squirrels, most Birds (cunning trap -- 3 bricks -- 1 balnced with fork stick ! ) and the, ever available, snared Rabbit.
I believe the "Statute of Limitations" excuses me from roosting Pheasants, tickled Trout etc . ! :oops:

Have you been on the 'Waccy-Baccy' again, Neill ?
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Can I plead the 5th Amendment ?

Probably not, in the UK !!!

(in answeere to the question --- not for a VERY long time !!)