Photos

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Photos

Post by YadaYada »

My son who is in the second form has been taking photos on his phone this term and I thought some of you might like to see them. This is the link: http://willgoddard.co.uk/365photos.aspx
barwen
Deputy Grecian

Re: Photos

Post by barwen »

What a talented boy you have! I Really enjoyed looking at the pics and the story books are quite amazing. Well done. barwen
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

What an amazing son you have, YadaYada! I've only looked at a few pics and part of his website so far but I'm totally gobsmacked! You must be so proud of him, he's terrific. :D
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Thank you for the kind comments. He is pretty terrific but I am very biased!
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

And let's not overlook the modest Mum who's given him so many opportunities & fostered such a positive outlook! ( Did you really crash your campervan? :wink: :lol: ).
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Ha, ha! Yes, I did and I don't think I will ever be forgiven! He mentioned it only yesterday!
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

anniexf wrote:And let's not overlook the modest Mum who's given him so many opportunities & fostered such a positive outlook!
Not to mention very enterprising to cram in so many places on what must be a very limited budget!
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

I have lots of tips for budget travelling. If going long-haul then the best trick is to use Expedia to find the prices of the cheapest flights....do this regularly, once a week or so and keep a record. At some point, usually about 9 months ahead of travel, it hits an unbeatable low, so book it! Secondly, go for one that connects somewhere as you can usually get off and carry on the flight on another date without any charge.

For now, long haul is out of the question for us but camping and self catering is the key. Or the trainline.com and Travelodge. Edinburgh this half term was £37 return for both of us to Edinburgh and the Travelodge was £12 a night booked when one of the sales was on.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

YadaYada wrote:I have lots of tips for budget travelling. If going long-haul then the best trick is to use Expedia to find the prices of the cheapest flights....do this regularly, once a week or so and keep a record. At some point, usually about 9 months ahead of travel, it hits an unbeatable low, so book it! Secondly, go for one that connects somewhere as you can usually get off and carry on the flight on another date without any charge.

For now, long haul is out of the question for us but camping and self catering is the key. Or the trainline.com and Travelodge. Edinburgh this half term was £37 return for both of us to Edinburgh and the Travelodge was £12 a night booked when one of the sales was on.
Just a few additions:
in the UK coach travel beats trains (usually - I write that because someone somewhere will find a cheaper train ticket :x )

Abroad: don't forget "round the world" tickets - some do NOT require you to circumnavigate but use the name. Comes in I think 3 versions - 25,000 miles, 17,000 miles and a shorter one. You are allowed x stopovers / changes - we had 17,000 miles with 8 separate flights (used for Singapore, Australia - multiple flights , New Zealand, Thailand involved).
In Australia backpackers hostels can be very good to excellent 3 stars. We got double room FREE transport from the airport and to the harbour (20 minutes walk), free evening meals (ticket for another place, choice of 3 basic but adequate meals), up to 50% discount on trips to the Barrier Reef, other travel discounts ................ YHA is good but in Aus they are really set up.
NZ not quite as good but getting there.
Singapore - big discounts - up to 100% - on travel in the city. Cheap for uploading blogs in the Indian quarter and also real Indian food. Amazingly Raffles is not too expensive for all the hype.
Bangkok; Tuk-Tuk about 50p for 6 hours (we were lucky). Also interesting to walk round the alleys visitors avoid.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
proudmum
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by proudmum »

Will is an inspiration...fantastic. my daughter is friends with your son in 2nd form and she has told me all about him. I , also have a son who is now 8yrs old, who was born at 24 wks, weighing 1lb 12oz, and twin girls of 6 yrs born at 29 wks. They are all amazing and pretty high achievers, I have 4 fantastic children ( and 3 step-children ) and so proud of all of them. My son who adores my 'squit'...soon to be a ' squitma '....thinks he too would like to go to CH, as it definately has been the making of my daughter...but the long journey we have been through, selfishly I want to keep him close....mums eh!!!...But, if in a couple of years he decides that he would like to go for it I will be 100% behind him, these little miracles never fail to amaze me.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Oh, I so understand how you feel! After our long and difficult journey I just wanted Will to live life to the full.......certainly an experience like ours makes you appreciate how fragile life is. I never in a million years thought I would be taking him to boarding school but I brought him up to 'reach for the skies' and so fully supported his choice to try for CH. I don't regret it at all.....well, maybe there's just a twinge right now as we are about to leave to go back and it has been so nice having him home!
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

I know who to come to when I want to travel on a budget then :D

Seriously, there are some great photos there, and you clearly have a son who is both articulate and full of enthusiasm. You are right to be proud.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

anniexf wrote:
And let's not overlook the modest Mum who's given him so many opportunities & fostered such a positive outlook!
Hear hear! Will is clearly a talented boy, and he's very lucky to have a mum who gives him so much encouragement and opportunity. You should be proud of him - and of yourself YadaYada!
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Thank you all very much for your kind comments. I really appreciate them.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

He's taken some great pics there... and that's a pretty amazing start to life!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99