What is Interfering ? What is concern?

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Re: What is Interfering ? What is concern?

Post by Mrs C. »

and don`t we know it?!!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mrs C. wrote:I think that was my daughter`s first one - we had shoes drying in the airing cupboard all weekend!
If I remember rightly, they were allowed to wear civvies the next day - and Houses received pizzas from the Head!
How time change !!

No civvies to change into. Wet Housey coats smelling of re-awakened Sprim.

The only concession we had when it was raining was that we would use the 'tube' to reach the dining-hall.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:
Mrs C. wrote:I think that was my daughter`s first one - we had shoes drying in the airing cupboard all weekend!
If I remember rightly, they were allowed to wear civvies the next day - and Houses received pizzas from the Head!
How time change !!

No civvies to change into. Wet Housey coats smelling of re-awakened Sprim.

The only concession we had when it was raining was that we would use the 'tube' to reach the dining-hall.
No airing cupboard so shoes stayed wet and no tube to get to chapel or classes. No outside food like pizzas or special food in dining hall.

Three concessions AFAIR
- no PT (normally daily) in the rain,
- on Tuesdays and Sunday afternoons we were allowed to stay in the house instead of having to go out
- and if it snowed then no rugby but we had cross country running instead.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

On a day to day basis things are worse now then - no tube when it rains these days , sports actives running as usual......
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

Mrs C. wrote:On a day to day basis things are worse now then - no tube when it rains these days , sports actives running as usual......
Sorry - what/where is the "tube" ?

I'm guessing it must be a tunnel ?
Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

It's a tunnel that runs under all the houses, chapel etc. Basically connects the school underground. The pupils used to be allowed to use it to get around in the rain and bad weather. It's now closed to pupils and is just used to house all the cables for power and other utilities.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

CHDad wrote:
Mrs C. wrote:On a day to day basis things are worse now then - no tube when it rains these days , sports actives running as usual......
Sorry - what/where is the "tube" ?

I'm guessing it must be a tunnel ?

Have a 'flick' through this link.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=126
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

The official reason it closed was that it is full of asbestos apparently...

I don't suppose all sports activs can run when the ground is wet through - back in the 90's we often had outdoor sports cancelled due to inclement weather and there was only so much room in the sports centre!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Great Plum wrote:The official reason it closed was that it is full of asbestos apparently...

I don't suppose all sports activs can run when the ground is wet through - back in the 90's we often had outdoor sports cancelled due to inclement weather and there was only so much room in the sports centre!
he only reason we had sports activities cancelled was when the weather would have caused damage - imagine rugger when the pitch is 3" under water or cricket and tennis when it is pouring; we would have cross-country runs or fives instead. Sports centre? we had thwe gym but it was booked all the time and swimming was summer only
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

i remember walking back from Horsham in a near Monsoon one Wed afternoon. when we got back the guy who was with me took his coat off in bottom dorm (used a day room as this was late 80's LHA) and holding it by the collar swung around. It left a greeny black tide mark on the wall / toist ends for about 20' in every direction about 4' off the ground.

Housey coats weigh a ton when sodden and take about 3 days to even approach dry. Although i don't remember the yellow dye running just them turning your socks green.

As mentioned elsewhere the tube was definitely closed due to asbestos as most was removed through the LH entrance when they "upgraded" the heating to being house based rather than centralised.

The only sport i remember being rained off was Hockey when the all weather pitch was underwater - I remember playing rugby on wapplegate pitches that looked like a lake and football on pitches where the ball would not roll it was so wet