Residential assessment not completed

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Re: Residential assessment not completed

Post by wurzel »

He has been offered a place at Reading School - considerring the state he was by that evening we are amazed. Sorry flat out but saw people were asking.
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

How fantastic. Well done !
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

But a deafening silence from his friends at rugby who took same exam and also 2 of the boys at his primary who took the exam definately didnt get a place - we knew how oversubscribed it is this year when the entrance exam was held in the cricket pavillion and a row of classroooms as well as the hall and gym - there are only 100 day places (plus any of the max 12 boarding not taken up)
kittykat
3rd Former

Post by kittykat »

I'm very pleased to hear to hear he got in. Wishing your DS the very best for the future!
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Well done to your DS Wurzel. It must be a great relief to have something settled.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

Congratulations to your DS, Wurzle . Very pleased to hear that he got in.
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

You must be so pleased/relieved Wurzel. I just had a look, it looks like another great school, well done Mini-Wurzel! :D
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

Academically it is a great school but it is not without issues such as having to build a new refrectory as at present most of the children are sitting outside for lunch under a huge awning like a pub beer garden even in the depths of winter and he would have preferred co-ed. But I think it is No51 in the national GCSE league tables and low 90's for A-Levels which is really good for a state funded school and he can just about cycle to it
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

That's great news Wurzel,
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Ian, that's a good outcome for a CH disappointment. And you will have him at home, too. Positive vibes! Hope he will be happy there.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

There is another alternative floating around but we will have to wait and see i cant say anything as all very seat of the pants and last minute but would be excellent. it is not KES Whitley as son decided against them as they are a non rugby playing school and if he has to board he wants to keep playing rugby
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

There can't be many boarding schools that don't play rugby!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
OKS
3rd Former

Post by OKS »

Quite a few don't; Eton and Charterhouse for example.
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

He has been offered a place at Reading School - considerring the state he was by that evening we are amazed. Sorry flat out but saw people were asking.
Reading is a great school - I used to live nearby and knew many of the teachers really well, including the head of rugby...in the early 90s! All very Public-schooly though and an excellent academic record. If we had stayed in the area I would have been desparate for my son to go there. Great family atmosphere too. We went to fetes etc. Great news!
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

They don't do Saturday morning school any more which they did in the 90's still. - We live in Woodley so the only issue will be transport as it is a 3.5mile cycle on some seriously busy roads or a very iffy bus route (regularly the bus waits and becomes the "next bus" due to traffic) or he gets a lift on the back of my motorbike as i go almost past on way to work - that doesn't worry me but i don think there would be anywhere for him to store jacket and helmet and the school rules specifically prohibit the wearing of "leather or denim coats or jackets either in the school or on the journey to or from " hmmmmmmm. we also need to warn their head of Maths that he is already at Lv8a in maths as I doubt they will be expecting it

Currently he plays Rugby for Bracknell so have to see if they suggest him transferring to Readingensians RFC