sock ties and other miscellaneous queries

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Re: sock ties and other miscellaneous queries

Post by YadaYada »

"Atticus - was it you I chatted to in tuckshop??"

Ooops, at first glance, I read, "chatted up"! Thought we were in for a soap opera-style romance! Then re-read!
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

Hi all! :D

I have questions... :oops:

What's a "Block shirt" please?
Astro shoes, what are they..?
Is it really necessary to have FOUR bath towels?

All this 'ere sports wear... My daughter is most unlikey to be on any teams, so I'll be buying plain stuff. If by some miracle she does develop a liking/talent for team sports, surely I can buy the crested stuff then..?
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Post by Fairy »

Astro shoes are special shoes for astroturf (hockey etc) can't help with your other questions as am a newbie too :D
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Post by Fairy »

Oh and agree re 4 bath towels it does seem an awful lot! Maybe for swimming as well as showers?
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

Block shirts are their House shirts, each house has a shirt with different colours. These are worn when they have inter house "block" competitions. Our DS has a rugby block shirt not sure what the girls have???
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Post by Fairy »

Thanks Chris, helpful as always! :wink:
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

Fairy wrote:Oh and agree re 4 bath towels it does seem an awful lot! Maybe for swimming as well as showers?
Well yes, but still... FOUR!? :shock:
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Post by Fairy »

2 in laundry 2 in use? I am over-run with towels, they seem to breed in the airing cupboard!
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

i don't have astroturf trainers on my list, is it something the boys don't need? I do have football boots though :?

I bought 2 crested polo shirts from the thrift shop, and will supplement with plain ones.

My towels also breed in the airing cupboard (or they did until the moths moved in a month ago)
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Post by Fairy »

I think the girls play hockey (astro) and the boys play football /rugby from what I have read (forgive me if I am wrong! CHdad can you advise?!). I intend to buy mostly plain with the odd crested - were they a lot cheaper at the thrift shop? x
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

We did not have astro trainers. Boys do football in Michaelmas term with a bit of rugby and then lent term it is mainly rugby. Summer is obviously cricket. On Monday afternoons they can choose a different "active" to try e.g hockey, badminton, tennis and a range of non sporting ones as well.
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

The crested tops range from £4-£10

The biggest savings were on the tracksuit (£20 for a complete set) and the reversable shirts at £4 instead of £30 :shock: :D

Will be down to sports direct for socks/trainers/football boots
Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

CHDad wrote:Block shirts are their House shirts, each house has a shirt with different colours. These are worn when they have inter house "block" competitions. Our DS has a rugby block shirt not sure what the girls have???
The girls have a house polo shirt (netball, rounder's etc) and a house hockey shirt (hockey - surprise, surprise! :wink: ) They do need, and do use these. Don't break the bank with absolutely all the crested kit, as someone else has said one crested is fine then the rest plain white or navy accordingly. It may not be terribly clear on the list (I've just been going over it in my office) but the children will need a spare pair of tracksuit bottoms in addition to the official crested ones. It gets very cold doing outside sport in the winter and this allows for one in the wash and one to wear.

And, yes, four towels means two to use and two in the laundry. The school laundry obviously doesn't have as quick a turn around as you would at home.
thriftymatron
3rd Former

Post by thriftymatron »

PLEASE BE PATIENT WITH THE THRIFT SHOP STAFF TOMORROW - THEY ARE MY AMAZING PUPIL VOLUNTEERS WHO DO AN INCREDIBLE JOB WHILST I AM BUSY MEASURING MY OWN NEW 2ND FORM.
IT WILL BE VERY HECTIC AND THERE IS NOT MUCH SPACE - MAYBE USE THE WAITING TIME TO CHAT WITH OTHER NEW PARENTS FACE TO FACE!
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Post by Fairy »

Wil do :D