Parental Contribution

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Re: Parental Contribution

Post by ailurophile »

Are there any grounds for a FOI request?
I don't think so Matt. It's not that the Foundation won't supply this information, just that they don't.
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

ailurophile wrote:Volupturaptor wrote:
I don't know how much music tuition will be though, and I'm not sure what our net assessed income is, so although it gave a guide in the new entrants pack, I'm still none the wiser.
If you want to know what your net assessed income is, ask for this information.quote]

Of course, sometimes it really is helpful to have the obvious pointed out. :oops:
Will do, thank-you. :)
Ineedacoffee
3rd Former

Post by Ineedacoffee »

I would agree with all the above on the frustration of fees with no RR available just before that due date of 26th of April. ..we went for it anyway... Crossing our fingers. Our estimated came back after many phone calls just barely doable..still need to send in a few odds and ends as we are both self employed...
Hoping we made the right decision. Followed dd' s lead.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Every morning for the last week I've been hoping my fee assessment letter will be delivered, but nothing so far. It's not that I'm eager to find out exactly, I just want to get it over and done with, because it's the not knowing how much it's going to be that is the hardest bit! I know a few parents' letters have started to arrive now, maybe mine will come tomorrow :roll:
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Post by Fairy »

Hi Lonelymom, I do hope it comes soon for you I was exactly the same, we got ours on Tuesday. I accepted without an estimation too and was panicking (sp?!) that I would not be able to afford the contribution but it was actually less than the RR had estimated so had been worrying myself unduly. Will keep my fingers crossed for you. :)
Dr Mummy
3rd Former

Post by Dr Mummy »

I am please that you were pleased with your news Fairy and I hope the outcome is the same for you Lonelymum. My fees were so much more than the RR estimated that have had to withdraw my daughter. Having turned down a full scholarship to another school this has been one of life's excedinly harsh and traumatic lessons. Best wishes to all those starting in September
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Post by Fairy »

Dr Mummy I am so so sorry to hear your news I am lost for words. Were th Foundation able to explain why there was such a difference? Is there no appeal process?
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Thanks. I know roughly how much my fees will be, since this will be my 5th year of paying them, but they always go up a little bit every year and I like to have the final figure so I can stop worrying. I find it's much easier to pay monthly (September to June) so that the fee-free months during the summer holidays give me extra money for food! :D

Dr Mummy, I am so sorry to hear that, it's a horrible position for you to be in, and devastating for your daughter :(
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Post by Fairy »

Dr Mummy Have PM'd you but it's not showing in outbox or sent so not sure if it's gone. Did you receive it?
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Dr Mummy, I'm so sorry to hear your news. My heart goes out to you and your daughter; this is a dreadful situation to be put in, especially where you had chosen to turn down a scholarship at another school in favour of CH.

Sadly your experience is not unique; every year families who are offered places at CH have to turn down the opportunity because the contribution required from them is unaffordable. Other families, like my own, are placed in a position where we are forced to withdraw our children during their school career because the fees have risen out of all proportion to income.

I have questioned the sense of this on the Forum before. What is the point of the school identfying children in need of a CH education if the Foundation subsequently makes it impossible for their families to afford this opportunity? I simply cannot understand how this fits with the 'charitable' and 'egalitarian' ethos of CH, and I know from bitter experience that the school has little feeling for those children who suffer from the consequences.
Dr Mummy
3rd Former

Post by Dr Mummy »

Fairy wrote:Dr Mummy Have PM'd you but it's not showing in outbox or sent so not sure if it's gone. Did you receive it?
Hi Fairy, no I didn't receive it!!
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Post by Fairy »

Not sure why how odd will try eming you x
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Post by Fairy »

Dr Mummy em sent hope you receive ok
Dr Mummy
3rd Former

Post by Dr Mummy »

Dear All, thank you all so much for your supportive messages and emails. I am truly touched. I have spoken with the relevent persons and and have been reliably informed that thats just how it is. I appreciate that there has to be a system for deciding upon contributions but there seem to be a number of factors that discriminate against how manageable these are (or not). It is not a case of not prioritsing my daughter's education - simply a case of not being able to survive or provide adequately for my other child at home. My daughter is understandably upset but as a sensible, resilient child has taken the news in her stride and is focusing on the positives of remaining at home. CH's loss will certainly be the local state schools gain! Thank you so much again for you kind comments :-)
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

It's so hard isn't it, we are in the fortunate position of being able to re mortgage the house to pay for the fees (I hope ds is grateful for this, although seeing as he's got his heart set on being a zookeeper i don't think he'll be looking after us in our old age!)

Although I still haven't received my P60 (would appear to have been lost in the post, so am awaiting a copy to be sent to me), both the estimate from CH and the ready reckoner were for a similar amount, which just so happens to be about the same as we pay for my husbands travel to work, so in theory if he worked nearby, we would have enough in the budget to pay for the fees. but he can't, so we don't.

I just hope it's worth it and seeing as I've rejected his secondary school place, I have my fingers crossed that the fees won't be too different from their estimate.