Beating the Retreat

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Beating the Retreat

Post by SAS »

Help! I have lost all information about Saturday - what happens when? Please can someone enlighten me? Thanks!!!!
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Re: Beating the Retreat

Post by YadaYada »

Beat Retreat starts at 3.

Term ends and we can take them home at 4.

That's all I know!
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

I am not sure if school lunch is available that day-maybe packed lunch if the pupils order it.It is better to get there at lunch time and take a picnic if the weather is good.Then you have time to pack the car (takes quite some time for me with three!) , say goodbyes in the house and find your optimum viewing spot. People start bagging places at about 2.00pm and just sit around chatting until it starts .I heard the rehearsal on Parents' Day on Saturday. I was at GW in the car park and could hear the Band rehearsing the National Anthem and Auld Lang Syne (sp?) which finish the event and had a tear in my eye at just the thought of the band disappearing to the strains of it as my eldest will be playing this last piece with the Band next Saturday.It is truly magnificent.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

It's Sussex By The Sea which always sets me off when they play it.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

It's Sussex By The Sea which always sets me off when they play it.
Ah yes - Doug (DD's biological grandfather) was in the Royal Sussex Regiment (it is "their" song) and he says they played it better than the regimental band. He boasted about it on their regimental messageboard last year.......and she is not even in the band! Had many compliments from other ex-soldiers.

Thanks all, for info about Sat. Will get aged parents set up around 2ish.
x
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I am originally from Sussex and my Grandfather was in the Pioneer Corps of the Royal Sussex Regiment in the First World War.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

With it finishing at 4, it gives just enough time to pack up and get to the Bx for 6pm...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Do they still play the Last Post etc, and the one where the Chapel organ joins in?
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

jhopgood wrote:Do they still play the Last Post etc, and the one where the Chapel organ joins in?

You're making the hairs stand up on the back of my neck again, John.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

jhopgood wrote:Do they still play the Last Post etc, and the one where the Chapel organ joins in?
I think they always play Last Post and they do play (but not always) Sunset with the chapel organ (we did that on my deps I think - very wow!)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

The Last Post -definately but I have never heard Sunset with the organ in six years. Oh... it'sthe Grecians' Ball tonight and I can't see my daughter in her dress . I am pathetic as no one has died but I cried and cried this morning about how many things I have not seen because I live to far away. Someone come along and tell me to pull myself together and remind me it doesn't matter if I can't her it and I am just being stupid and should think of other less fortunate people.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

I'd like to tell you to pull yourself together but actually I think it is only natural and I am the same as you. It is a huge sacrifice to send them so far away. Hopefully there will be lots of photos taken. Be proud you had the strength to make the sacrifice in the first place. x
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

dinahcat wrote: Oh... it'sthe Grecians' Ball tonight and I can't see my daughter in her dress . I am pathetic as no one has died but I cried and cried this morning about how many things I have not seen because I live to far away. Someone come along and tell me to pull myself together and remind me it doesn't matter if I can't her it and I am just being stupid and should think of other less fortunate people.
No, dinahcat, you're not being stupid, and why should you think of less fortunate people? You've missed a lot of occasions you'd have loved to see. It hurts, big-time. So don't beat yourself up for the shedding of a few tears. Just remember that you've given more in every sense for your kids than most parents, & your rewards aren't likely to be be material ones - they're going to be far more valuable than that. So cry, then be happy.
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

Oh thanks, that's made me feel better. It's good to have support here -especially from parents who live far away from the school.It's hard to give up netball matches and concerts and also the 'school gate'even with all its terrible politics .It's hard not to know what goes on in the school day if you are used to coming home and contemplating it all with your child.
Would my daughter have it any other way ? No, she has had an amazing time and is very grateful and I can't regret that even if I am sad that I didn't see some of it.
Mr Flemming is apparently ,is tonight, uploading his photos of the Grecians' Ball onto the school website.He and Mrs Flemming have been really wonderful House Parents this year-nothing is too much trouble for them.
I don't know how it will be tomorrow. I always love the Retreat but it will be especially poignant tomorrow but I think Mr Whittingham knows that every year is special for those who are leaving and their parents or carers and it's aways the same-uplifting ,majestic and just lovely.Note to self-must get tissues from shop before I leave...
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

I remember Mr Flemings first day - it was also mine - he was jnr house master in LHB and took set3 latin. He then started the class civ department and i was in his first year to take O'Level classical civilisation. At that point Mrs Fleming was still head of classics at Brighton and Hove High school for girls - they actually did joint classics trips with us to greece and turkey. He also ran the school photo club in a dark room in the prep block - then Mr Martin took back over running a dark room behind the manuel (CDT) school.