Herring roe...

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Herring roe...

Post by ailurophile »

It's the new baked beans!

Well, that's according to a headline in the 'Waitrose Weekend' freebie, and it immediately made me think of all the Forum posters who live on beans!! So, for those of you who are keen to add some variety to your meagre diet, here's the gen:
A 150g portion of herring roe costs 59p, which makes it roughly the same price as the student staple of beans on toast.
It is best served lightly seasoned, dipped in flour then fried and used to top hot toast.
Personally I doubt whether I will get this past my finicky sons, who regard anything unfamiliar with deep suspicion, but I thought I'd offer this up for the more adventurous of you to try.

Does anyone have any other suggestions/ recipes to share for cheap but nutritious meals which don't rely on beans?!!
Jo
Button Grecian

Re: Herring roe...

Post by Jo »

Any leftover vegetables, Tesco value pasta sauce, grated cheese on top. Tastier than it sounds :D
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

Soft herring roes go very well with Marmite on toast.
Col A 1946-1953
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

ailurophile wrote: all the Forum posters who live on beans!! So, for those of you who are keen to add some variety to your meagre diet, here's the gen:
A 150g portion of herring roe costs 59p, which makes it roughly the same price as the student staple of beans on toast.
It is best served lightly seasoned, dipped in flour then fried and used to top hot toast.
Does anyone have any other suggestions/ recipes to share for cheap but nutritious meals which don't rely on beans?!!
Did I miss something? Are there many Forum posters who live on beans? Au contraire there seem to be many marvellous cooks in our ranks! :lol:

Goodness, I remember herring roes on toast in the Fifties! Delicious!

And what would Miss Jukes say? Living on bbs? By Jove!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Angela Woodford wrote:
ailurophile wrote: all the Forum posters who live on beans!! So, for those of you who are keen to add some variety to your meagre diet, here's the gen:
Did I miss something? Are there many Forum posters who live on beans? Au contraire there seem to be many marvellous cooks in our ranks! :lol:

Goodness, I remember herring roes on toast in the Fifties! Delicious!

And what would Miss Jukes say? Living on bbs? By Jove!
Given it's the "Parents" forum (area of the forum? board? I forget the correct terminology) I think it's a reference to an earlier thread about having to live on beans on toast on order to afford the fees :D
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Jo wrote:Any leftover vegetables, Tesco value pasta sauce, grated cheese on top. Tastier than it sounds :D

Quite agree Jo.

Any left-over veg never goes to waste in this house. It's usually mashed, and fried up with cold mashed potato, al la 'Bubble and Squeak', but always with a large dash of Worcestshire Sauce.

I think this goes back to my early childhood, (early 50's), when war-time values still just about existed.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Jo wrote:Given it's the "Parents" forum (area of the forum? board? I forget the correct terminology) I think it's a reference to an earlier thread about having to live on beans on toast on order to afford the fees :D
Aha! :roll: I had erred and strayed into strange territory!

OTOH,extreme economy cookery is familiar territory in my old age!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""