2012 Admissions Thread

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: 2012 Admissions Thread

Post by J.R. »

Atticus wrote:Hi Lippi, the weather here is terrible too. I have just seen the BBC forecast - the very heavy wind and rain will ease tonight in the southeast, but will still be windy and initially wet tomorrow. There will be heavy rain on Wednesday night, but Thursday so far looks dry and much less windy.

Good luck with the journey, and for the residential xx

The current weather is certainly playing havoc with the Combined Counties Football League !! :twisted:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
cupcakemom
GE (Great Erasmus)

2012 Admissions Thread

Post by cupcakemom »

Good luck to everyone - I can't quite believe it was a year ago we were at this leg of the journey! I asked my DD what she would recommend candidates take with them - and her response was "cosy clothes"' for day and night! I think she was a bit surprised how drafty the place can be!

Thinking of you all.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Lippi and Family,

hope you have arrived safely......bl**dy awful weather......hope the weekend goes really well for all of you....worse for parents of course x
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

Yada yada, not just the awful weather. There was a tree on the line this morning, and all trains south of Horsham were cancelled - the fleet of CH mini busses at the station was impressive, and looked well organised (dd and I had a very long and delayed journey to London).
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

Hi everyone, thank you for your messages.
Yes, we did get over okay and in one piece! But it was a mammoth trek I can tell you! We set off at 9 on Wednesday and drove to Dieppe (only 280 miles!!!) because we got a 20% discount on what was already a less expensive ticket, so even with the fuel (cheaper in France still but not by much) it worked out cheaper, especially as we avoided the toll roads. Ferry sailed on time, bit windy in port. And THEN we got out to sea! Well, I have NEVER been on such a rough crossing in my life. DS and I had taken seasickness tablets which made us drowsy (thank goodness as otherwise we would have been compelled to join in with all the vomiting that was going on everywhere) and we managed to doze over most of the crossing which was much longer than anticipated due to the weather. Huge waves, lots of white water, great buffets that kept making the entire ship shudder and a DS who kept reminding me about the Titanic, regardless of the fact that we told him there were no icebergs in the English Channel. I did NOT feel safe.
Finally got in what felt like hours late, took ages to get off the boat and managed to stagger to the Travelodge in Five Oaks. Bliss. I would have slept on a bed of nails I was so tired. I think we must qualify for the most determined to get there parents of a candidate! Oh, and we heard that the return sailing had been cancelled! So we were really lucky to get over. Although DH was quite prepared to drive to Calais and get us on the Channel Tunnel if he had to - wouldn't that have been fun?
DS then had a wonderful time, really enjoyed himself and loved the exams - so he says. So now it is crossing fingers and toes time.
The boat back was at 11 last night (Friday) and got in at the unearthly time of 4 in the morning (3 English time) so we got a bit of sleep in reclining seats made for people definitely not the same shape as us, and then drove home. Got back finally at about mid-day today, having had to stop in a service station and just sleep in the car for an hour and a half. Stopped at a boulangerie that had just opened at 6.30 and bought red hot just out of the oven pain au chocolats that gave me indigestion, but were yummy, so worth it. DS was fine, tucked up in his duvet in the back! We were absolutely knackered and still are. I think it's going to take us days to recover.
My bed is looking very welcoming. DS is fresh as a daisy.
Now a long period of finger crossing that he has done well enough to be considered eligible despite us living in France.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Congratulations Lippi, it's good to hear that you made it to CH and back safely and that your son had a positive experience at the residentials. You certainly must qualify as the most determined candidates; and of course, if DS gets in you'll be making this trip every few weeks with mountains of luggage!! Best of luck, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

Thanks Ailurophile.
If he should get in, he has all his big brothers and sisters with whom to leave most of his school luggage! And who can do his washing for him too! Yay!
I don't think we would do the Dieppe crossing too many times! We are just too old for the stress of such a long journey and almost zero sleep. Plus the car has a leaking heater matrix so we were on tenterhooks as to whether we would make it. It is not getting any younger and we can't afford to replace it so it has to be coddled along. I think if he gets in and we are still stuck here I will plan every journey months and months in advance firstly to get the cheapest tickets and secondly so that said brothers and sisters who are all grown up can help out by running him about.
It will be a great planning strategy similar to a battle plan, involving endless lists and tick boxes!
His big brothers and sisters are all looking forward (should he get in) to having him on leave weekends. I think there would be a fight over who gets him first!
So cross your fingers and toes for him too.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Fingers and toes crossed here....glad you made it there and back and it all went well :)
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

Thanks for the finger and toe crossing Yadayada! Much appreciated! Had a VERY lazy day today as totally exhausted after the trip! DS is even quite quiet today, which makes a change!
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

I've just been on a different section, on the thread about day pupils, as a friend on here told me she had posted so I went to read the thread as it sounded interesting. It took me no time at all to realise what was important to me there - not the day pupil part, but the part referring to full fee paying overseas pupils. I posted on that thread and have changed it a little to post on here.

What astonished me, and quite took my breath away, was the figure of 90 or 120 pupils sourced from abroad! Hong Kong and Germany were both mentioned early on in this topic.
As those of you who read this section regularly know, I live abroad. I have been told that unless my son can win a scholarship he has practically NO CHANCE against UK resident children. What I would now like to know is why is this different for those who live abroad and have money? I see this as unfair and discriminative.
I only happened on this thread by chance, and would not have realised this was going on but for my friend.
To be honest, I'm not too bothered by the addition of more fee payers as when finances are better, as someone so rightly pointed out, they can be reduced again and the true purpose of the school can be returned to easily. I trust.
BUT - I am concerned about the discriminatory nature of allocating overseas places. I have mentioned this before on here, but been quiet about it for a while, since my DS got through to the residentials. Now I find that it is only US and other possible poor candidates from abroad that are being excluded for our residential status, NOT those that can fork out the cash without the bat of an eye. So I have to say something, even if it does no good at all.
I am really saddened by this, as it appears to be one rule for those with money, and another for those without.
I am really sorry, HowardH, if you read this, and think I am rudely spouting off, but put yourself in my place. I live abroad, cannot sell my house and move back to the UK due to the financial climate in order to help my son, my husband is severely disabled and there is no viable alternative for my son where we live. Yet these parents in Hong Kong and Germany, who no doubt could afford ANY school for their child, by reason of their wealth, are favoured over my child.
I am in tears as I write this as I am certain that come february my son is going to get a letter telling him he didn't get in. And his place is going to go to some child whose parents can pay full fees.
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by HowardH »

Please see my response on the Day Pupils thread.
jodz5052
2nd Former

Post by jodz5052 »

The waiting is killing me !!! Desperate to find out if we have been succesful or not - Is anyone else as impatient as me ?
Will we get the letter on Feb 14th or is any time up until that date ?
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

We got it about the 12th last year, but good luck and I remember the waiting was agony!
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

3 years ago it came on the 14th - DS's birthday - the agony of deciding whether to open it or not in case it ruined his birthday!

Good luck to everyone waiting :)
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

It was Friday 11th last year. I can still remember when the letter arrived, I supect like childbirth and where I was when I heard Princess Di had died, it's going to be something I always remember