Tax Credits claimed for childcare at CH?

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

OKS
3rd Former

Re: Tax Credits claimed for childcare at CH?

Post by OKS »

This seems to have gone away from the subject of the original thread. But I feel I have to comment. Wearing pjs to a disco is meant to be a bit of fun. The idea isn't to wear a negligee but old fashioned cosy type pjs (and dressing gowns) which happen to be in fashion anyway. The OWIE night was a great success I gather and much enjoyed. It was as a result of TV show and not meant to be "racist" towards Essex. My daughter has never seen it, but understood the general theme and greatly enjoyed the silliness of it all. Not everyone enjoys discos, but dressing up is fun and let those who want to enjoy themslves.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Dinahcat wrote:
I can't help thinking that an 'Only Way Is Essex' theme night organised by the Grecians and a Pyjama party for 13 and 14 year olds held in the Grecians Club is just reinforcing the idea that that EMA is money for nothing and having a 'good time' in the worst possible taste is OK.
Eh? I'm probably missing something here, but what exactly is the link between EMA and the school discos/ theme nights? With all due respect to Dinahcat I'm a bit baffled: and am I wrong in my understanding that EMA has now been scrapped?
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

I see what you mean and was having a bit of a rant. Mrs C is right that the EMA was being spent on cigarettes and alcohol in many cases which I found annoying but I accept this is a personal view. It annoyed me a bit that the school takes such a liberal view of these things on site but again perhaps I am just behind the times which of course is again, my problem. I suppose I made the connection that the liberal attitide is extended to parties where 13-16 year olds are at the same party in nightwear. I wouldn't organise such a party at home as I don't believe it would give off the right messages. The mix of ages alone would give me some concern as they would have different agendas and expectations of a party.The school doesn't give the impression that it is so liberal but of course I must take the rough with the smooth and if that is what the majority want to do then I must accept it or find an alternative.Which is fair enough.
Last edited by dinahcat on Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Dinahcat you have every right to rant on here if you want to! One of the reasons I find the Unofficial Forum so interesting is that it shows the very wide range of opinions and experiences we all have of CH.

In my own experience, I would not agree that the school take a liberal approach to cigarettes and alcohol; there are clear policies and sanctions set out. Of course teenagers will want to break the rules, that goes with the territory, but from what I know of my friends’ children I would say that it is far easier for them to experiment with underage smoking and drinking than it has been for my boys in a boarding environment. Our HM has always seemed particularly alert to evidence of such problems; I remember that he once even took the precaution of breathalysing DS because he “seemed suspiciously cheerful”– fortunately DS hadn’t been drinking, he was simply in an uncharacteristically good mood! :lol:

My specific gripe with the EMA is not what the children did with it, so much as the fact that they were not required to use the allowance for its intended purpose. EMA was intended to help cover the costs of travel, text books etc., to enable children from low income households to remain in post-16 education. It always seemed anomalous to me that at CH, where the Foundation were already funding these costs, pupils in receipt of EMA were not required to contribute a penny of it towards the cost of their education. I’m quite sure that if, in the same family, the parents had received an additional annual benefit of £1500 to help with living costs, this money would have been included in the financial assessment and their contribution increased accordingly. Oh well, this is all water under the bridge; EMA has now been scrapped, and hopefully CH will benefit much more directly from whatever replaces it.
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

EMA has already been replaced with a means-tested bursary for 16-19 year olds. The money is applied for by parents and student via the school (another form to fill) and the school receives the money which is distributes to the student.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

EMA has already been replaced with a means-tested bursary for 16-19 year olds. The money is applied for by parents and student via the school (another form to fill) and the school receives the money which is distributes to the student.
Thanks SAS. Do you know whether in the case of a charitable school like CH, which already subsidises the education of low-income pupils, they are able to use this means-tested bursary to support the endowment fund? Or will they be obliged to distribute it as 'pocket money' to the individual students who have applied?
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

Sorry - no idea. You could check the DFE website?