How's it going after leave weekend

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

How are new second formers / parents getting on after the first leave weekend? I remember being relieved to have regular contact from my D.S this time last year, it made it all much easier to deal with. Hopefully all the second formers (and parents) are starting to settle in to their new life ???
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Re: How's it going after leave weekend

Post by pinkhebe »

It's a real weight off my mind to know that he's enjoying himself, and appears to be settling in well. I also like the fact that I can text him (even though he doesn't always reply, which hopefully means he's enjoying himself, either that or his battery is flat :lol: )

On the way home on Friday, he talked all the way about things that he's been up to (always a good sign with my ds) so I'm feeling very confident about the next few weeks.

I am still missing him, but as long as he's not missing me that's the main thing.
MW224
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by MW224 »

Our ds seems to be doing ok but is struggling with homesickness. Equally the move from a small sweet village school to secondary school in it's self is a big change, so I think I have to be realistic and accept that it will take some time for him to fully settle. I took great comfort from someone's comment on this forum that home should be a child's favourite place and that therefore it's only natural that they will feel homesick. I find myself wishing time away and counting days till 15th of October, but have every confidence that it will get easier as time goes on. it's still early days.
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

It does get easier as the term goes on and everyone gets used to it. Having a 2 week half term to look forward to is nice and the run up to Christmas after that seems to fly by. It is a big jump for a child to make to go from a small village school to any large secondary school and it takes a bit of getting used to, CH is an even bigger step. I remember feeling quite strange when my daughters went to our local secondary school, it seemed very odd that they were suddenly more independent and grown up and not little girls anymore. The point I am making is that some of the adjustments we have to make as parents would have happened anyway even if our children were not at CH.

It is true that there would be something very wrong if our children did not prefer home life to school (much as they may enjoy school). I hope the homesickness passes soon, I am sure it will.
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

My daughter seems to be ok, she was extrememly enthusiastic about Latin over the weekend!
I'm not sure whether I like her having the phone or not. The "Good morning Mummy!" texts are nice, but the calls are not so good, she's never been much good at telephone conversations, so all the long silences, although I know they are normal for her, can sound a bit wistful to a concerned parent...
I was happy and reassured by seeing her at the weekend, we didn't come home, I felt I'd rather spend the time with her properly, rather than in the car. With fuel prices as they are it is no more expensive to stay in a hotel. The weather was good and we were able to spend most of the time in the park, we ate out courtesy of Tesco vouchers. She seemed to enjoy herself too, and said it didn't matter about not going home. She did get a little bit silly when it came to leaving her, but she can do that when I leave her at my mum's just down the road!
I suppose the bottom line is that last weekend now seems a long time ago and I am now looking forward to bringing her home for half term.
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

Volupturaptor wrote: she was extrememly enthusiastic about Latin over the weekend!
Yes, my son seems to really enjoy latin!
MW224
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by MW224 »

CHDad wrote:The point I am making is that some of the adjustments we have to make as parents would have happened anyway even if our children were not at CH.
Yes you are absolutely right, having met with other parents of what was our year 6 class last night, I felt relief that I am not only one with worries, albeit slightly different ones. Thank you for encouraging words, it does help!
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

I felt a bit bad as son phoned this afternoon whilst we were all at his favourite beach :oops:
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

I wouldn't worry too much, they seem to have a good time themselves at the weekend! My son actually said that he likes three weekly boarding (as opposed to weekly which a lot of other schools do) because the weekends were the best time.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

At least they have returned to glorious weather.

I always found CH SO depressing in the cold and wet !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:At least they have returned to glorious weather.

I always found CH SO depressing in the cold and wet !
Depressing? Are sure you didn't mean to refer to Hades bearing in mind the endless long runs in deep mud and rain, rugby on icy pitches, the stench of wet coats in classrooms, getting up when the wet in the lav-ends was close to icy, ....... We hardly had a moment for depression!
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
blackbox123
2nd Former

Post by blackbox123 »

It is good to see that most parents are adjusting to their new lives.

It was going well and the odd text from him is good. I have adjusted well without him here but I think I'm masking it with longer hours at work! He has never been good with phone calls so we do speak but its always me trying to listen to his voice to see if I can trace a hint of sadness, happiness, contentment or just kiddie grumpiness! He has been rather homesick in the last few days and his housemaster has called to reassure us. Bring on 15th Oct.
keith p
2nd Former

Post by keith p »

we found the first weeks very strange, but my son has taken to ch like a duck to water..good leave w/endand wondered if i would have a problem taking him back....not at all. Speak to him every other day, and recieve texts that at times do not make sence, but thats not new. So fantastic start to life at ch....the only blot on the landscape has been the taking of his property from his room and the tuck area..both his combination locks have been smashed open, only small things like pens etc from his room, and his goodies from tuck locker, so this did upset him. he is in midd b, any one had these problems in other houses or am i just lucky. keith p.
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

not heard from our son since saturday :roll: despite texting every day, and writing :roll: I'm hoping this is a GOOD sign.
cupcakemom
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by cupcakemom »

My DD is in contact daily ... no major routine though - sometimes a text after breakfast, other times I don't hear until after tea! Perhaps raise the issue at half term - I don't think it's much to ask - just some text contact each or every other day.

On the subject of things going missing ... so far ... So good! She's lost her umbrella ... no doubt it won't have been taken ... She WILL have lost it - but that's the only casualty I'm aware of! What did the house master say on the subject of a pad lock being smashed?

She did have an issue with a rather "full on" second former in her house who thought it was highly entertaining to frighten the living daylights out of the new ones ... Threatening dorm raids and to wipe all the numbers off her mobile, etc. Her house mistress has worked her magic and there's been no further grief.