New Entrants'Day

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

LostInEducation
2nd Former

New Entrants'Day

Post by LostInEducation »

Hi all,

I'm trying to book the train tickets for May, 6th and I was just wondering if anyone knew the timing for that day.
Yes, I'm being stingy so I'm trying to save a few pounds :oops:

Guess I could call CH to find out but I'm trying to be thoughtful at the same time :wink:

Apologies if this has been posted and answered before :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thank you for your help
MW224
LE (Little Erasmus)

Re: New Entrants'Day

Post by MW224 »

I'm ashamed to say I can't remember exactly! Pretty sure it was late morning till about 4 ish? One tip; try and do the sports clothes asap, got soooo hectic last year!
Pibble
3rd Former

Post by Pibble »

I'm afraid I can't recall the timings either although MW224's recollection rings a bell. I have to be honest the scrum for the clothing was so ridiculous we skipped out on that and ordered the sports clothes online, with the exception of the house t shirt, although I'd suggest you get the order in as soon as you get the order form. To much potential for inconvenient growing spurts to scupper our forward planning.

I would call the office, the ladies there are lovely and I'm sure will be able to help.

All the best for May, it seems such a long time ago since DD's, actually its only a year but from memory it was a lovely, fascinating day.

P
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

I don't remember having lunch there, so I think it was after lunch, but I really can't remember either! We made an appointment with the matron who runs the thrift shop and went during the week!
Pibble
3rd Former

Post by Pibble »

We could never get organised enough to use the thrift shop but wish we had and we're hoping to be much more switched on this year. I've never been in there myself but my DD raves about it and has a lot of time for the "lovely lady who runs it". I think she spends as much of her pocket money in there as she does in the tuck shop much to my, and the dentist's, relief! :D

So based on that I would strongly recommend the thrift shop as well.

P
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

Hi, I did ask the timings, as we have to catch a ferry from France, and they told me it was the afternoon. We have booked our ferry and a friend with lots of loyalty points has got us a hotel to stay in for nothing! So that is great! We are really looking forward to coming over and finding out what house DS is in.
My question is, can we order the sports kit earlier than NED? As we are in France, I would prefer it if we could pick it up on NED rather than order it.
Anyone know if that is possible at all?
We have rubbish internet here (zone blanche so zero chance of broadband alas) and I couldn't download the info for sports kit off the website, so I rang the school and they gave me the list, plus a friend emailed me the order form (the list failed to arrive in one piece which is why I eventually rang the school).
They told me then that they will be sending the invites to NED out early in April, so hopefully we will then know the houses the DCs are in.
I am quite looking forward to sitting sewing the name tapes on. I like sewing.
Pibble
3rd Former

Post by Pibble »

lippizaner wrote:My question is, can we order the sports kit earlier than NED? As we are in France, I would prefer it if we could pick it up on NED rather than order it.
Anyone know if that is possible at all?
I'm not sure about ordering items prior to the NED, I certainly don't know if you would be able to pick up a pre-arranged order at the school on the NED and to be honest my experience with the supplier wasn't great last year. However, whilst we didn't partake in the scrum like action going on at the suppliers stall on our NED I believe from memory that you can buy and take away kit with you. Could your older children help with ordering kit online if required, might help keep delivery costs down etc if you do need some items delivered and they are in the UK.

It is a great visit and if I recall you get a pack prior to the visit which tells you which house DC is going to be in, I'm not sure if all the houses do this but we also got a lovely and welcoming letter from the House Mistress, a little brochure explaining what life would be like in the House and finally just before the visit DD got a lovely letter from her future nurse maid introducing herself and welcoming her to the house. We felt very much part of the House before DD had even officially joined the school.

I'm sure you'll enjoy. We are very lucky to live very close to the school so when you are over here if you'd like to meet up with my wife and I for a coffee just drop me a line. Good luck.

P
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Lippizaner wrote:
I am quite looking forward to sitting sewing the name tapes on. I like sewing.
Hold that thought Lippi... by early September you'll be wishing never to see another Cash's name tape as long as you live! :lol:
Ineedacoffee
3rd Former

Post by Ineedacoffee »

I would agree that Sports Kit ordering was chaotic and unorganised last year. However I believe it was CH's first year with Kukri (sp?). I am sure wrinkles are all smoothed out now. We weren't able to order at all last year after making 2 attempts during the day because of queue. We ended up having to order at home after NED and guessed on a lot of the sizes. I would suggest, at the very least, saving 15 minutes out of the NED to at least try on all sports kit to get an idea on size. Then figure in a bit of growth over the summer. The Kukri stuff is very nice. Very well made. Although not 100% necessary if your child isn't likely to be playing on a squad. My dd isn't on a squad ( she would like to be) but likes wearing the crested kit as casual wear as well! Having said that - tesco, asda and m&s plain blues and whites are also acceptable. Please - Correct me if I am wrong anyone out there!
I have to add that Mr. Messenger personally sorted out dd's kit in the end with the matron. So nothing to worry about!

Communication with matrons is vital. These women are amazing and incredibly efficient. Caring. Organised. One step ahead. I cannot use enough superlatives to describe. They were available via email and/or phone from NED onwards. Again - nothing to worry about. These lists seem overwhelming at first, but it all works out.

Yada Yada was an invaluable source for me in these early days. She was
Incredibly supportive and a great sounding board. I completely took advantage of her email and was in constant contact for a good 6 months! I will admit that I selfishly have not been in contact as much these 6 months later as the CH life has become part of our normal life!

I would like to offer the same attention, advice and care to any new parent/s out there. I could never match up to Yada Yada, but would be happy to try to help in any way I can. Please feel free to PM me new parents and Congratulations!
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

So, Ineedacoffee, exactly which stuff on the list can you feasibly just buy from M&S or just Tesco? It all seems quite pricey, and I only have last year's list! So I would assume everything might have gone up by a few pennies.
Is a cricket box or jock strap an absolute necessity? I am just imagining explaining that one to DS and the look of horror on his face at the suggestion that damage might come to his more personal parts without one!
My DS is not particularly sporty, so I doubt he will be getting in any teams.
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

Can't comment on the "box", but I can say that I bought one of each crested item only, and everything else in plain navy/white. As it turns out, with all the crested stuff being so late in arriving, my daughter would have been completely without some items if it were not for my having bought all the plain stuff. She has had no problems with wearing her plain items, so if money is tight and/or your son is not particularly sporty, I'd go for having some of each.
MW224
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by MW224 »

We bought very generous sizes, so it should last at least 2 years!!! The thrift shop really is great as mentioned before, we got lots of extra's from there. Maybe make that your very first stop. Dr Martens we got from Amazon as no one seemed to stock them. Not cheap but a real good essential buy, as they walk huge distances! Worth every penny.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

My DS is now in the LE. He is totally non-sporty! After advice from this forum 3 years ago I bought him one crested polo shirt, the block house shirt and the tracksuit. Everything else was non branded and/or from the Thrift Shop. This has been absolutely fine. The Thrift Shop is great for picking bits and pieces up and I have only ever replenished from there (and given things back to there).

I have also only ever bought him the boil-to-mould mouthguards for £1.99 rather than the £30 dentist -moulded ones which they are supposed to have. Also been fine. Obviously if he was in the front row of the 1st XV I'd protect his teeth properly but no need when all he does is sit on the reserve bench of the non-squad!

I wholeheartedly agree that DMs are essential. They are good value for money considering they do last the distance and are comfy to wear.

Ebay and Newitts.com are other good places to get non-branded sports wear.

I did get him a jock strap & box for cricket - not sure if he wouldn't have been allowed to play with one but seems a wise precaution and I don't remember them being very expensive. He won't need them until the summer term though.
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

Hi, which items exactly did you buy uncrested and cheaper, and where did you buy them from?
I will have a small window of opportunity for this as I live in France, land of no school uniform so no shops suitable! I am coming over on Friday 4th, so will literally only have the Saturday for this shopping. Or, I suppose, Sunday morning. I keep forgetting UK shops are open on Sundays!
A list of suitable shops for each item would be massively appreciated!
Not sure what I'll do about the footwear - leave it till the last minute I think and buy it here. He already seems to have gone up a shoe size since I last bought him shoes, and it's six months to go!
How bad is the delivery from Kukri and what happens if the stuff doesn't turn up till they are at school and who sews the name tags on then?
I certainly shan't be seeing him until the end of October as he is going to his big sister for the first leave weekend.
All this stuff is sent to try us!
I am loving this site though - don't know what I'd do without you all and your advice.
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

On the subject of mouthguards... We were told in no uncertain terms that they had to have one from the dentist (our own or the school one) and that the ones you can buy are no good whatsoever and not acceptable. Needless to say, we had one made. My daughter however tells me you can buy the DIY ones in the tuck shop! So... They're no good, they're not allowed to use them, yet the tuck shop sells them. Ok... We'll be buying a DIY one when a new one is needed!