It's still tough

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

It's still tough

Post by YadaYada »

Maybe it's just me - although I suspect it isn't - but I still find the end of the holidays REALLY hard. DS is nearly at the end of LE so I should be used to it by now....hey, ho!

I thought I'd post in case others are feeling the same and then we can all feel dreadful together..........if it's just me, feel free to tell me to just get over it!!
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: It's still tough

Post by Katharine »

I feel for you YadaYada, it is the price we pay for loving them! You do get used to it, but that doesn't mean to say that you don't feel dreadful, just that you get used to feeling dreadful. I seem to remember that the length of time feeling absolutely bereft got shorter as the years went by.

Because of our working life overseas, we were saying goodbyes for many years - they started boarding at the tender age of 8 and when John retired they were both at University. I'm NOT trying to say that it was worse for us, just that I do know how tough it is for parents and how it goes on and on being tough!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Thanks Katherine. Yes, it's hard but we know it's worth it. I think I do take less time to get over the empty nest syndrome but still find it very difficult.
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

Yada Yada, no its not only you, we feel the same. I was doing the weekly shop yesterday and it brought a lump to my throat when I kept thinking I only needed to buy for 4 people instead of 5 ! Somehow it felt wrong to be doing this. However it is not so bad now DS is actually back at school (the contemplation of him returning seems worse), I find I get used to the "CH routine" again quite quickly.
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

I'm glad you posted this, I'm really struggling this term. Everytime I started getting ds's stuff ready at the weekend, I seemed to fly into a horrible shouty ranty mood :( . I really didn't want to leave CH, I stayed for a cup of tea, even though DH was itching to get going. It was a good job we did stay, we had to exchange his Housey at wardrobe, we then found out that ds didn't actually know where wardrobe was, and he admitted that if we hadn't of stayed he wouldn't have gone :roll:

I have a really busy week at work, which I have found helps.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Urgh, it's horrible! Hate the Sunday drive - hate the 'quiet' and tidy house.

Yes, the three weeks do go fast once I get back into the routine of work and DS-free weekends - it's the getting back into the routine that takes some time.

Sorry to any parents of younger students who thought it would get easier. x
MW224
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by MW224 »

I start the lumps in throat a few days before DS goes back, DS himself will go very quiet the hour or so before going back,and yes then the drive and the saying goodbye. And then oddly enough relief that the saying goodbye is over. And the countdown to coming home has started! During yesterday's journey back we realised I ll only be driving DS back two more times this term!!
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

I'm sitting here with 15 mins until the end of prep, when dd will ring, and I'm really excited at the thought! This holiday has been very different to the others, she's grown up such a lot over this 3 weeks, and she was desperate to be back at school, to be busy and see her friends, and to learn - even though she loves being with us, and the holidays are packed. She had a rough term last term, and we saw her quite a lot as a result. This term she had junior play on sun afternoons, so no chance to see her on Sunday's until it's over, and then it's exams...

I dislike packing day intensely, but this time dd packed on her own, and I didn't stay to help her unpack. She does get homesick occasionally, but in her words, she'll 'deal with it !!' I cannot get over the change in her, and how much she refers to CH as home !!

My 'hole' that I carry round is back, and I know that it will catch me offguard when I'm not expecting it, and I'll wallow for a minute. My 'hole' has no regard for how busy I am !!

My ds1 is also boarding at his school tonight so it's even quieter, but ds2 has loved being spoilt and having our undivided attention.

2 mins until dd rings....

And sending hugs to all of us...
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

Well I've had a couple of texts, he made flapjacks in cooking :D and he needs his mouthguard :? He didn't actually say why, so does anyone know why he needs his mouthguard? (no rugby as far as i know)
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

Can't help, but I sent dd off with hers 'just in case' . ( but you would need a mouthguard for my flapjacks, they're always awful :lol: )
MW224
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by MW224 »

Cricket I suppose. If they need a 'box' for protection, a mouthguard makes sense too? Cricket balls can cause some real damage!!
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

No you don't need a mouthguard for cricket (they wear a helmet with faceguard), it is probably for hockey, they sometimes play this in P.E I think or in "actives".
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

As a Dad, Grand-Dad AND an OB, may I heartily praise all your comments on this thread.

There is too much press these days about 'feral-parents' and the troubles their offspring cause.

The recent beating to death of a promising youth footballer in Rottingdean by a 13 YEAR OLD THUG, being a point in question.

Long may you worry and care for your children when they are away !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Glad it wasn't just me. Have now settled back into the routine, and nearly a week gone by!

Not happy to find the bill from the school for next year on the mat though - it's like adding insult to injury! :)
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

You have had your bill already??! Crikey, we haven't filled in our assessment yet! Was it horrid or as expected or both?